Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any info on the Gulfhawk IV replica?

Default Re: Does anyone have any info on the Gulfhawk IV replica?

I suspect you're referring to the other civilian Bearcat, which ended up with Bob Pond.

The ever cheerful Howard Pardue checking out the Gulfhawk replica...

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tracy3-.jpg 
Views:	922 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	19615  

Something else unique about the replca IV was they modified it so as to incorporate a very small 2nd seat. I forget the gentlemans name that owned it, but his wife rode with him in the rear seat. I believe I heard it said that this was the only time a Bearcat had been modified with a second seat. Does anyone know that for sure?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Something else unique about the replca IV was they modified it so as to incorporate a very small 2nd seat. I forget the gentlemans name that owned it, but his wife rode with him in the rear seat. I believe I heard it said that this was the only time a Bearcat had been modified with a second seat. Does anyone know that for sure?
    Brian
    Wasn't Elmer Ward the owner?

Elmer Ward was indeed the owner, and a nicer guy you could never meet. We happened upon him and his family working on the Bearcat in a Chino hangar a year or so before it was finished and Elmer made us feel like old friends. Even invited us to jump up into the cockpit. I too would love to see the airplane returned to the Gulfhawk paint scheme but something tells me that with the current consortium of owners that will not happen.

I don't have any proof, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that I recall one of the Bearcats owned by "Chubb" Smith and "Bubba" Beal had a second seat installed as well. No?

Another reason for the rear seat was that Elmer planned to install a second set of controls in it so that he could continue to fly it even after his medical had expired. Elmer was a great guy. Highly thought of, dearly missed!

I can not vouch for truth of it, but seem to remember someone saying that the Friedkin F8F N198F had a "hell hole" installed in the early 90s. Wouldn't have been very comfortable, but who'd say no to a ride in a Bearcat?

T J

...Bob Kucera's N212KA "Race 99" had a second seat complete with door and window...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SFW-S68-12.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	19639  

Quote Originally Posted by sledge39 View Post
    ...Bob Kucera's N212KA "Race 99"...
    ....now under restoration at Ezell's, incidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
    I don't have any proof, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that I recall one of the Bearcats owned by "Chubb" Smith and "Bubba" Beal had a second seat installed as well. No?
    That could well be, I remember Stephen Grey telling me a story, well before Elmer Ward completed his, about a Bearcat with the second seat added and a lot of fuselage structure removed. He said that the fuselage would twist in flight in a most alarming manner!

Big question is where these two seat Bearcats F8's or G58's. Much easier to put a second seat in a G58. The one Hinton owns is a G58; just looked it up.

G-58A Gulfhawk G-58A - Steven Hinton Chino CA. So it's not a replica; it's the real deal! One of two built.
    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 05-30-2013 at 02:55 PM.