Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any info on the Gulfhawk IV replica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone have any info on the Gulfhawk IV replica?

Another reason for the rear seat was that Elmer planned to install a second set of controls in it so that he could continue to fly it even after his medical had expired. Elmer was a great guy. Highly thought of, dearly missed!

I can not vouch for truth of it, but seem to remember someone saying that the Friedkin F8F N198F had a "hell hole" installed in the early 90s. Wouldn't have been very comfortable, but who'd say no to a ride in a Bearcat?

T J

Comment

...Bob Kucera's N212KA "Race 99" had a second seat complete with door and window...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
        ...Bob Kucera's N212KA "Race 99"...
        ....now under restoration at Ezell's, incidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
          I don't have any proof, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that I recall one of the Bearcats owned by "Chubb" Smith and "Bubba" Beal had a second seat installed as well. No?
          That could well be, I remember Stephen Grey telling me a story, well before Elmer Ward completed his, about a Bearcat with the second seat added and a lot of fuselage structure removed. He said that the fuselage would twist in flight in a most alarming manner!

Comment

Big question is where these two seat Bearcats F8's or G58's. Much easier to put a second seat in a G58. The one Hinton owns is a G58; just looked it up.

G-58A Gulfhawk G-58A - Steven Hinton Chino CA. So it's not a replica; it's the real deal! One of two built.
            Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              Big question is where these two seat Bearcats F8's or G58's. Much easier to put a second seat in a G58. The one Hinton owns is a G58; just looked it up.

G-58A Gulfhawk G-58A - Steven Hinton Chino CA. So it's not a replica; it's the real deal! One of two built.
              Can't be an original G-58, sorry. The original G-58A Gulfhawk was destroyed and the G-58B is the late Bob Pond's aircraft.

Comment

That's right Chad. Elmer's was a-2 former wind machine at Kaman in CT, along with the ex Lone Star Bearcat that was at Reno in 2011 that's done up in Blue Angels colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                  Can't be an original G-58, sorry. The original G-58A Gulfhawk was destroyed and the G-58B is the late Bob Pond's aircraft.
                  Well I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Comment

Of course you're right Bill. My bad!!!

Comment

It was right next to the story about Elvis is a wood shop Teacher in Fargo ND.

Comment

The Bearcat in question is being restored to a stock F8F configuration. It has been put on the back burner while Fighter Rebuilders concentrates on the F7F project and a F-86 for customers. I have the control feathers for it in my shop for recovering and they still have the orange paint all over them. I too would love to see it go back to the Gulfhawk colors.

Comment

Bonjorno!!!

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Sorry about resurrecting this thread, but I came across it when researching ...Bob Kucera's N212KA "Race 99" Bearcat.

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
                            <>

I can not vouch for truth of it, but seem to remember someone saying that the Friedkin F8F N198F had a "hell hole" installed in the early 90s. Wouldn't have been very comfortable, but who'd say no to a ride in a Bearcat?

T J
                            This was true, but it was in the early '80s when John Herlihy owned it (and he owned it a lot longer than listed on the Warbird Registry).
                            At the time Herlihy owned the F8F and a P-51 "This Is It". When he sold the Mustang he told us that "I only kept the Mustang because it had a second seat so I could take my wife along when she wanted to go. After putting the second seat in the Bearcat, I didn't 'need' the Mustang anymore".
                            But I see that the current owner not only doesn't have a back seat, it also has the rollover bar.

This, again, comes back to "not my money, not my toy", but when people are putting "hidden" back seats in Hellcats and Corsairs, it seems kinda dumb to take out the back seat in a Bearcat.

I also remember when Herlihy's F8F, P-51, Getchell's Sea Fury, Gary Harris's F4U-7, a T-6, a Baby Lakes and a couple other small planes were all packed into the one 'big' hanger at Half Moon Bay like a puzzle.
                            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

It was right next to the story about Elvis is a wood shop Teacher in Fargo ND.
                              Fargo, North Dakota, Eh?.... Does Mr. Presley's class feature any guest lectures on sheet metal work by professors Odegaard and Beck? Sign me up!

Comment

My first T-6 ride was with Ron Reed who was from that hangar. Waaaaay back in 79.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X