70 Years Ago Today~ P-38 vs. Betty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Years Ago Today~ P-38 vs. Betty!

23 May 1943: On this date in history~ Sixteen Japanese Mitsubishi Betty bombers from their Paramushiru base in the northern Kurile Islands, attempted attack against U.S. forces at Attu Island in The Aleutians, but were intercepted by five P-38 Lockheed Lightnings from the 11th USAAF's~ 54th Fighter Squadron/343rd FG, who shoot down five and damage seven. Two P-38s are lost and one pilot missing. Later, Russian Intelligence confirms only five Bettys manage to return to base following the encounter.

Remember The Heroes of The Forgotten Front!”

-DBD
    Attached Files

Re: 70 Years Ago Today~ P-38 vs. Betty!

Thanks for sharing that!
    Sky Critter

Comment

Nice pic there, Bucky....were you the photographer on that flight?

Comment

Wish I could claim credit for that beautiful & breath-taking color A-2-A period capture! Obviously~'before my time', Brad. Of course you're aware that this was posted in sincere respectful-tribute to honor the valor & memory of these courageous WW2 American combat fliers on the anniversary. I did have the rare-privilege of briefly-knowing 3 of our vets who participated in this extraordinary mission~ Harry Higgins, John Geddes & Fred Moore (~along w/a number of their Aleutian squadron mates). True patriots & fine gentlemen all, from~"The Greatest Generation".

DBD

(Higgins, btw, was from Seattle.)

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
          Wish I could claim credit for that beautiful & breath-taking color A-2-A period capture! Obviously~'before my time', Brad. Of course you're aware that this was posted in sincere respectful-tribute to honor the valor & memory of these courageous WW2 American combat fliers on the anniversary. I did have the rare-privilege of briefly-knowing 3 of our vets who participated in this extraordinary mission~ Harry Higgins, John Geddes & Fred Moore (~along w/a number of their Aleutian squadron mates). True patriots & fine gentlemen all, from~"The Greatest Generation".

DBD

(Higgins, btw, was from Seattle.)
          Oh, it was more of a response to something you said to me many years ago when I said you were 'getting old'...and you said "Getting? Man, I'm already there..."

Comment

I guess the F-82s could've done the same to any nuke toting Soviet B-29 reps in the years following too.

Anybody seen that fantastic H.Hughes 'Jet Pilot' movie with ol' Duke Wayne & luscious Janet Leigh?

Comment

Well, alrighty then. 'And now back to our scheduled-pgm'~

DBD

Comment

If the link between Bettys going down & H.H. seems tenuous, then I will add..

Howard Hughes was known for making his flying movies with 'top-flite' production values,

& 'Jet Pilot' does show some excellent footage of Arctic Airbase operations..

H.H.'s attention to detail & hands on micro-management
                also seems - to extend into Miss Leigh's costuming..

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.W. View Post
                  ...Anybody seen that fantastic H.Hughes 'Jet Pilot' movie with ol' Duke Wayne & luscious Janet Leigh?
                  Jet Pilot - just the flying scenes

Howard Hughes' movie Jet Pilot was horrible, sappy dialog and plot, not to mention Janet Leigh's annoying character. However the flying scenes are fantastic ...

Howard Hughes' movie Jet Pilot was horrible, sappy dialog and plot, not to mention Janet Leigh's annoying character. However the flying scenes are fantastic ...

...and the full movie...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by sledge39; 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Brilliant.. thanks S/39.. Fantastic deep colour film, & too bad H.H. didn't leave a bequest for Reno racing..

Comment

Working...
                    X