Gold race final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold race final

Good morning everyone!! Well here it is I finally got done putting together the Gold race final.
    Crank the volume and enjoy.

Jason
    This is the final gold race of 2012, more info on the Reno air races can be found here,http://www.airrace.org/index.php
    Jason Schillereff

Re: Gold race final

Wonderful job, Jason. You are just getting better every year.

It's remarkable that you so clearly caught Thom losing the gear door.

Strega sure does take a long time to get off the ground.

Thank you for such a clear look at our sport...

Neal

Comment

Did anyone report the finding of the Precious Metal landing gear door?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
        Did anyone report the finding of the Precious Metal landing gear door?
        Last I heard (a month or so back) it was never found.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          Last I heard (a month or so back) it was never found.
          Is there a Reward fee, regardless of the condition it was found in, for returning it to the Precious Metal crew?

The video shows it falling off at 3:54. Should be within 1/4-1/2 mile of that point. You would think they would be able to find it with an ultralight, helicopter...
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            Wonderful job, Jason. You are just getting better every year.

It's remarkable that you so clearly caught Thom losing the gear door.

Strega sure does take a long time to get off the ground.

Thank you for such a clear look at our sport...

Neal
            Yes, Jason, great job and I was eager to play the video the instant I saw it was here.

I agree with Neal, that's the clearest shot I've seen yet of the door coming off P.M.

The end of the video reminded of a question I've had for a while. Why did an "emergency aircraft" (P.M.) go around for a non emergency aircraft? Shouldn't the tower have sent Sawbones around instead?

Comment

Great Job Jason!
              i just enjoyed the compilation.

Best regards,
              Florian

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                Yes, Jason, great job and I was eager to play the video the instant I saw it was here.

I agree with Neal, that's the clearest shot I've seen yet of the door coming off P.M.

The end of the video reminded of a question I've had for a while. Why did an "emergency aircraft" (P.M.) go around for a non emergency aircraft? Shouldn't the tower have sent Sawbones around instead?
                That's a good question. Of course if Sawbones hadn't cut him off in the pattern there would have never been an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                  Is there a Reward fee, regardless of the condition it was found in, for returning it to the Precious Metal crew?

The video shows it falling off at 3:54. Should be within 1/4-1/2 mile of that point. You would think they would be able to find it with an ultralight, helicopter...
                  The door has never been found....or, if it has, it has not been returned to the Team. They would like it back to simply understand why it came off. A number of people walked the desert in the area to no avail. It's proabably hanging in somebodies Mancave somewhere....

Comment

The door is still MIA. We will still honor the $500 reward, no questions asked.

The go-around was a communications screw-up on my part, and against the setting sun, I identified the wrong Sea Fury on final. I initially did not know there were two of them, one after the other. My landing was not an emergency, though I had decided to land after everyone else got on the ground in case I did have a gear problem and fouled the runway. I was not cut off by Curt, he probably never even knew I was behind him. I simply sequenced myself wrong in the pattern.

Nice video Jason!

Comment

You're really a quality guy Thom!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post

The go-around was a communications screw-up on my part, and against the setting sun, I identified the wrong Sea Fury on final. I initially did not know there were two of them, one after the other. My landing was not an emergency, though I had decided to land after everyone else got on the ground in case I did have a gear problem and fouled the runway. I was not cut off by Curt, he probably never even knew I was behind him. I simply sequenced myself wrong in the pattern.

Nice video Jason!
                        Ah ok. From where we were standing it looked like Curt was behind you on downwind and turned base before you. Must have been the viewing angle. Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

Anyone know if "Hoot" is on this board? I have some questions for him about 2-3-2. It still has that familiar howl on approach and the "Flowmaster" roar after it passes, but it sounds choppier than it did in the Mike Brown days. I know the engine is carb'd now...wonder if the fuel injection that Brown chose to leave on the engine affected its sound? Sounded a hair smoother, in my opinion. Not by very much, but it seems just noticeable enough to tell a slight difference.

Anyone from the 2-3-2 crew on here care to chime in on the changes between the Mike Brown 2-3-2 and the Rod Lewis 2-3-2?

On another note, many thanks to Thom Richard for sharing so much about his hot rod with all of us...it's a rare occasion, as most Unlimited Gold racer teams usually keep their mods secret from the public until race week, if at all. I think keeping us "commoners" in the loop is a great way to build enthusiasm and interest in the sport...gets people asking questions and discussing progress.

And yes, I am an unashamed fan of September Fury...been addicted to it ever since I heard it on take-off in 2002 for a heat race (on YouTube, still haven't been able to afford the trip from Alabama to Nevada )...but I've always been frustrated with the underwhelming performance of Precious Metal in the past couple of decades compared to its potential...so to see it prepared as a real contender for the Gold title is quite satisfying. It's been a long time coming, Thom...and I can't wait to see what it can do this year.

With all of that said, it would be interesting to watch (and hear) 2-3-2 with its Flowmaster roar, PM with its spaceship buzz & whistle, Rare Bear with its Glasspack chop and Czech Mate with its Pratt & Whitney rumble battle up front for the Gold win...talk about a noise sandwich

P.S. Get Strega, Dago & Voodoo in the mix to include some "bee out of hell" buzz
                          "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post

Nice video Jason!
                            Thom,

Thanks for the explanation. I've been wondering about that since it happened.

You gained a lot of fans in the last couple of years and I hope you have a great 2013.

Blue skies,
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X