"Mossie" - DeHavilland Mosquito Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mossie" - DeHavilland Mosquito Tour

Kermit Weeks gives a wonderful tour of his Mossie in three "Kermie Cam" videos. Love being able to see the details of these old birds, inside and out. The closest I'll ever get to climbing into this great plane.

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/yd2M21nlw0w
    Part 2 - http://youtu.be/3sgm-94bX2E
    Part 3 - http://youtu.be/dAF1S-07u3w

Re: "Mossie" - DeHavilland Mosquito Tour

I have had the opportunity to have a similar poke around/climb aboard/sit in the
    ex-RNZAF J.Smith Mosquito FB 6 in NZ..

Amazingly ah.. 'compact' crew space, I would not have liked to have to try & bail out in an emergency..
    ..with those props whirling right there..

I am surprised they didn't use a clear-view bubble type jettisonable canopy 'til the Hornet..

Sadly,[criminally negligent really] but zero, nix nada, not one.. Hornets were saved from the bonfires..

Comment

I'd rather bail out of a Mosquito than most everything else. A lot less chance of going into the tail, and the prop is close, but would be hard to reach without really trying. For comparison, a couple shots of the Military Aviation Museum's 'Skeeter.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ignomini; 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM.
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Do please post the relevant bail-out survival stats on which your confident assertion is based..
        I understand the Mosquito take-off/ rotate - engine failure survival chances were also grim..

Comment

its nice to see KA114 being appreciated, Don't forget if you can get to the Hamilton Airshow she will be there this year.. hopefully Mr Yagen takes her to Oshkosh and Reno too
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Awesome! Didn't know Mr. Weeks had a Mosquito. Interesting that he bought that when he was 30. Living the dream!
            Been waiting for anothe Kermie-cam adventure. It's been a while. Keep 'em comin, Mr. Weeks!

Comment

According to the Thunder Over Michigan website they will have an appeaarence by the DeHavilland Mosquito also.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.W. View Post
                I have had the opportunity to have a similar poke around/climb aboard/sit in the
                ex-RNZAF J.Smith Mosquito FB 6 in NZ..

Sadly,[criminally negligent really] but zero, nix nada, not one.. Hornets were saved from the bonfires..
                Wow J.A.W. you are among the absolute lucky ones to get near the Smith collection... he normally keeps that place locked down tighter than fort knox....

And you are totally right about the Hornets.... why nobody kept any is astounding...
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Indeed Kiwiracefan, it was a for real 'Alladin's cave' deal for aviation buffs, in little ol' Mapua..

That was a few years ago, I wonder how J.S. is.. health-wise these days..

I was lucky enough to be traveling in company with a couple of good Kiwi jokers on the way to
                  the Wanaka airshow , & one of them knew J.S. quite well, & so he was pleased to show us around..

Truly appalling that so many fabulous machines were so callously/casually destroyed, even down to
                  the last ones known to exist.. like the DH Hornet..

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.W. View Post
                    Do please post the relevant bail-out survival stats on which your confident assertion is based..
                    I understand the Mosquito take-off/ rotate - engine failure survival chances were also grim..
                    I've never seen such data, have you? It would be very interesting. My "confident assertion" is based on an assumption the aircraft is right side up. Turn it over and all bets are off. With the oily side down, if you told me I had to pick a WWII fighter to bail out of, the Mosquito looks like a good choice. You're heading down hill with gravity on your side. No more science involved than that. Which plane would you choose?

As far as engine out on takeoff, different kettle of fish, and I agree, in that scenario you're having a really bad day.

Comment

Thanks for finding this, My first and only time in Oshkosh 1995 and my first Mosquito, I remember slidding my hand down her side. Had a heart attack in February to go with the cancer in November and missed the MAM Mossie show (maybe 2013 Thunder over Michigan she is coming there).

Will work on Hendon Museum, Duxford Air Show, German Museum, B-29 over lake Mead and Chino 2013 show videos. Have to figure out how to up load to You Tube. Thanks again to you and Kermit, KC

Comment

For Ignomini,

My doubts were based on the emergency escape evolutions required in that closely
                        confined Mosquito cockpit.. def' not just a matter of pop the top 'n' go..

Comment

J.A.W., My original comments were along the lines of two guys casually talking in the bleachers. Wasn't trying to present hard facts. And there's no doubt getting out of an upside down or spinning Mozzy would be ugly.

KAHNZILLA, the MAM show was a wash out. I saw the Mosquito from a distance landing as I drove up on Friday. It never flew again over the weekend. Here's a makeup shot of the Lancaster as it headed out on Saturday. Hang in there on the medical side. We've been sponsoring a guy who is driving an Austin Healey all over the country taking sick kids for rides. There are a lot of folks out there pulling for you.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KAHNZILLA View Post
                            Had a heart attack in February to go with the cancer in November
                            Holy Crap Kahn! Have you mentioned this before? If not, why? We have connections! When I had cancer, there were 1000's of Southern Baptists who had me on their prayer list.. I'm quite spiritual but not religious but I sure beat the HELL out of my cancer in '04! There's got to be something going on there!

You gotta tell us about this stuff so we can get folks working on ya!

Hang in there buddy, I'm pulling for you big time.. mind me asking what kind of "C" you got saddled with? PM me if you don't want to share in public.. Mine was throat.. squama cell somesortofstuff... started in the base of tongue, moved to tonsils.. or somewhere in my throat, then out to my neck... I am truly lucky to be alive and well 9 years later!!!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

To all cancer recipients, hang in there if you can..
                              Some are fairly treatable/survivable these days..& it gotta get better in the future..

At least I sure hope so, it runs strongly in both arms of my family..& killed both my parents..
                              as well as extended family, but mostly not `til older in age..

& maybe I'll get a gene test like Angelina..

Anyhow, I'll have fun & live life.. as it sounds like you are doing K, & Wayne..

All the best..

Comment

Working...
                              X