PM Teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PM Teaser

Thom, i love the way you are teasing this out.. i cant wait to see PM all dressed up in her new gear.... But i was thinking, with the doghouse and the cowling, have you thought about something similar to what Miss Ashley II had, ie the Spitfire style cowl with NACA ducting and the radiator doghouse with NACA duct?
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
      Thom, i love the way you are teasing this out.. i cant wait to see PM all dressed up in her new gear.... But i was thinking, with the doghouse and the cowling, have you thought about something similar to what Miss Ashley II had, ie the Spitfire style cowl with NACA ducting and the radiator doghouse with NACA duct?
      Cubic dollars, my friend.....cubic dollars.

But the NACA duct only worked on MAII because of the Lear Jet wing. The landing gear wells were farther forward than on a stock Mustang, so there was actually room to extend the scoop out that far forward.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
        While its not a NACA scoop, the new scoop extension on PM looks pretty good already.....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
          While its not a NACA scoop, the new scoop extension on PM looks pretty good already.....
          Yeah our girl already goes both ways. She don't need a sex change to further confuse what she is.

Comment

ahh ok, i was wondering about the space in front of the scoop area.

Comment

I think the NACA duct/intakes are commonly misused and don't conform to the design criteria that originally made them efficient.

I know very little about the MAII intake other than a few pictures. That is definitely not something I would attempt without a windtunnel. It's get very complicated. A scoop, such as the P-51 radiator intake or the induction intake on the top of PM's cowling is hard to argue with. They don't make the air do a bunch of funny things. The trick is to size them appropriately for the purpose.

After we rebuilt/repaired the induction intake two years ago, we realized a huge increase in ram pressure. The trick is to make the air change direction as little as possible... The same thinking can be applied to the radiator intake. In our case, step number one is to downsize it.

Comment

... a nice explanation into oblivion, why does it log out during typing a nice reply?

The Naca duct was designed for flush applications. Designed to generate two vortex which help supply the slot. A ram air
                set up is the better way for engine induction. The original development program on the P-51A suggest this, as well as the F-1's, and Sports class racers, biplanes, and unlimiteds. MA2's set up didn't look optimal, but it did look cool!

Comment

And then there are these.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again for the info. I was wondering about the NACA scoop, because i remember reading about MA II and the design of the NACA scoop especially for the carb intake had been very carefully designed to get air into the carb setup with as little disturbance as possible, the same was said of the 'sex change' doghouse for the radiators that they had designed it to grab air with as little disturbance to direct it onto the radiator cores.
                    But PM still is one sexy girl, cant wait to see all the current mods completed.

Comment

Working...
                    X