P-38's at Chino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-38's at Chino

7 flyable P-38's in the world. 5 were at Chino.
    2 belong to the Planes of Fame
    1 is Glacier Girl
    1 is from Tillamok
    Where was the 5th one from?
    and out of the 6 in USA where is the other one located.....and any idea why she was unable to make it?
    I know the 7th is the Red Bull (White Lighting) located in Europe.
    Thanks
    Brian

Re: P-38's at Chino

5 flying
    Attached Files

Comment

1. "Glacier Girl" -San Antonio Texas
      2. "Honey Bunny" - At chino but i dont think POF owns it
      3. "Thoughts of Midnite" -Houston, Texas
      4. "Tangerine" - Tillamook Air Museum
      5. "23 Skidoo" -Planes of Fame (was Porky II a couple years back)
      6. "Ruff Stuff" - Granite Falls, Minnesota?
      7. "White Ligtning/No name" -Red Bull, Europe
      and supposedly flying is
      8. "No name" -the reconnaissance conversion at Yanks in Chino, not positive if it flies, it was on display at chino and if it was airworthy i bet they would have flown it...
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I was under the impression that everything at Yanks on Display is Airworthy. Overheard somebody last week saying the pilot who would have flown the plane had passed away....but couldn't get over to them to ask details before they got away. Anybody else know?

Comment

Does that mean the Blue Angles F-18 flys and the EC-121 too? Would love to see the Connie fly.
          I don't remember the Yanks Museum taking a part in the airshow in the past.......maybe they have and I dust don't remember. I know I enjoyed their airplanes.........they do have a nice museum.
          Brian

Comment

I also heard that everything at Yanks flies, and am positive the Connie flys as I was at Chino when they brought her to her new home at Yanks probably 6 or 7 months ago. The F-18, not sure about that but I would imagine it flies. They have a couple other Vietnam jets there that I would highly doubt are airworthy from the lack of engines in existence that some of them used.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              7 flyable P-38's in the world. 5 were at Chino.
              2 belong to the Planes of Fame
              1 is Glacier Girl
              1 is from Tillamok
              Where was the 5th one from?
              and out of the 6 in USA where is the other one located.....and any idea why she was unable to make it?
              I know the 7th is the Red Bull (White Lighting) located in Europe.
              Thanks
              Brian
              8. P-38 in flyable condition (Former Gary Levitz)at War Eagles Museum in Santa Theresa TX

Comment

I don't think the P-38 at the War Eagles Museum at Santa Teresa NM is flyable. I believe it needs a spar replacement. The docent told me that but it was a few years ago. Perhaps they've repaired it since I was there last. I kinda tend to doubt it since John McGuire, the owner of all those wonderful planes, past a way several years ago and his wife is fairly up there in years as well.
                Last edited by MarkB.; 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                  I was under the impression that everything at Yanks on Display is Airworthy. Overheard somebody last week saying the pilot who would have flown the plane had passed away....but couldn't get over to them to ask details before they got away. Anybody else know?

Ah man here we go again. Everything there was restored so it could fly. BUT Nothing there EVER flies . It's all been sitting for years so that means there would be work to do to get them flying. Is your car thats been registered non op and stored in your garage for 25 years driveable? It's a static display collection. ( I'm not counting if they have a Staggerwing or Stearman that flies, or a bird dog. ) Don't want to hear about it.
                  Last edited by John H; 05-09-2013, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    1. "Glacier Girl" -San Antonio Texas
                    2. "Honey Bunny" - At chino but i dont think POF owns it
                    3. "Thoughts of Midnite" -Houston, Texas
                    4. "Tangerine" - Tillamook Air Museum
                    5. "23 Skidoo" -Planes of Fame (was Porky II a couple years back)
                    6. "Ruff Stuff" - Granite Falls, Minnesota?
                    7. "White Ligtning/No name" -Red Bull, Europe
                    and supposedly flying is
                    8. "No name" -the reconnaissance conversion at Yanks in Chino, not positive if it flies, it was on display at chino and if it was airworthy i bet they would have flown it...

6 Ruff Stuff is Ronald Fagen 2. Is the Allied Fighters 38. Really a shame Jeff Harris passed away and couldn't be there to fly it and see this.

Comment

Here is a pic of White Lightning from Hanger 7 in Salzburg, Austria. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	225737

Comment

Working...
                      X