Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New flight test rule

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Just got word that the unlimiteds must be tested to 410 IAS @ 6 g's.
    Kts or mph?

Comment

The rules were voted on back in February by the Unlimited Pilots and owners. The new rules became law March 1, 2013. So where is the surprise? If Nelson did not know, it was because he did not vote. I can assure you that Stu Dawson knew about the rule as every other pilot and owner. Prior to the rule it was a common sense practice to properly test your aircraft. In fact in all the years I have been involved I have never known anyone that didn't test their plane. It was not until the NTSB discovered the lack of testing performed on the Ghost. The plane had apparently never been taken to the G's or the anticipated race speeds that it encountered that day. So now, because of the NTSB findings and their recommendations the FAA has put the rule in stone, as it should be. To do aerodynamic changes to your plane and not perform adequate testing could prove to be fatal. In regards o the Yak. A major repair is not a major modification, however I assure you that the Yak will be tested and documented to race speeds prior to attending the event. The rule clearly states anticipated race speeds, there is no mention of VNE that I am aware of. In addition the Yak 11 wing is the same exact wing that the Russians utilized on their first jet aircraft. The wing design has been throughly tested and has proven its integrity over the years. It is not a new designed wing. Overhauling the wing can only be considered a safety improvement in this regards. So my recommendation to all the race teams that have performed major alterations is to follow the rules.

MJ

Comment

Well said Matt. Even without the rule common sense should prevail if you value your life.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

It's always been this way in f1 if a plane that has never races before it has to do a +6g pull and a dive test of 1.3ish times its normal race speed

Comment

As an Unlimited Division member, I received notification about the new rule back in February. All builders, owners and pilots of current race aircraft got the e-mail. We (I believe most) voted on it and I encouraged others to vote for the change.

Personally, I initially misunderstood the 90-day rule, but that's my fault, not the divisions. The rule was put in to effect March 1 (I believe) and we all received the final version in the beginning of April. Any major airframe (aerodynamic and structural) alterations have to be tested 90 days prior to any race event (practice, qualifying or racing) which puts us at June 10, not the 1st, as previously indicated. 90 days prior to the first practice day on the course in September. Engine modifications are not covered under this rule. Test have to performed to race speed, power and +6, -3 G's.

The purpose is for the UD, FAA and RARA to have an opportunity to request additional information and/or testing, should they deem it appropriate.

Yes it would have been nice to have the information in October, but the truth of the matter is that if we want to keep racing, we need to expect exactly this type of change. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to make these things happen. It takes time to make rule changes happen. And, we all need to pull together and abide by it best we can. We all need to see the bigger picture, not just complain because something affects us personally in a negative at the moment.

Now, for a Precious Metal update, it looks like we're on track for an early June test program of all our aerodynamic mods. The overhauled engine will be installed later in the summer and that's when we'll finish the paint job and other smaller non-critical items. With that said, we could use some volunteer help on the composite side if anyone will be in central FL during the month of May.

One more friendly reminder, everything on the internet is public record. Think twice before you put something out there. Especially opinions. Let's keep our noses clean and we'll all come out smelling like roses...

Faster!

Thom Richard

Comment

The rule clearly states anticipated race speeds
              Makes sense that way.
              Even without the rule common sense should prevail if you value your life
              Even in cars we always worked our way up to max performance before we needed it in a clinch. Always thought any pilot/owner would do the same. Guess not...
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The pilots know about the rule, but the "crew chief" doesn't?

It's just like MJ said, it's what nearly all teams have done in the past.The only thing that really changed was the date.

Comment

Originally posted by al baby View Post
                  The pilots know about the rule, but the "crew chief" doesn't?

It's just like MJ said, it's what nearly all teams have done in the past.The only thing that really changed was the date.
                  And that is all this thread was ever about. The change in date and how it could effect certain teams.

As far as the "crew chief" not knowing that is a title I do not hold or have net held since 2011. That year when the owners bought the airplane I was the only crew that came with the airplane. 2011 I was only there to get Thom's folks in Kissimmee up to speed on the aircraft with the knowledge I had of it between 2005-2007. At this point we all work together to make sure we are on the same page. Phil Evenden does one hell of a job in the position now, and there is no other person in the world that I would rather see replace me. I'm his assistant now so I'm just there to make sure he never runs out of coffee or smokes And to translate the Kings English to the rest of the crew who speak redneck. You know... A spanner is a wrench, a fag is a smoke, a rubber is an eraser. So if he says "I'm going to go get a rubber and a fag" you have to translate that he's going to go have a smoke and get an eraser because it just broke off the end of his pencil. That's really all I do other than hearding the cat's and the monkey wiggling the stick.

I was more thinking of other teams out there hoping they would meet the deadline. Never meant for anyone to think I was being critical of the new rule.
                  Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X