Toot my own horn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toot my own horn...

As some of you know, I recently undertook an epic road trip with my son to Florida....via Chino. Stopped in to spend an afternoon at the Planes of Fame Museum, and as part of that was pleasantly surprised to see several of the air race models that I donated over the years still on display. The first one went there in the late '80's at some point, and the last one went there in the mid-90's...and this was the first time I had seen most of them since I had given them to my buddy Ed Maloney.

Not all the pictures are in focus, and I look at some of these models today and think how much better I could build them if I could do them over again...but they made me smile. A couple of them have had parts broken off over the years, unfortunately. Almost all of them were modified and hand-painted (as this was before specialty racer kits came out). I think only the Hall Bulldog and the Hoover Mustang were 'kits' for those specific aircraft. Hope you'll enjoy a selection of them too.
    Attached Files

Re: Toot my own horn...

A couple more....

Dago is 1/24 scale.

The RB-104, Miss Candace, Foxy Lady, Susi-Q, Hoover's Mustang, and Strega are 1/32.

The RB-51 and Super Snoopy are 1/72.

I don't remember what scale the Hall Bulldog is...maybe 1/24.

All the others are 1/48 scale...including the scratch-built Tsunami.

The only plane that I couldn't find was the 1/32 scratch-built Tsunami I did in the orange tidal-wave motif....no idea where that one went.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'll be at POF Nxt week for the show and the P-38 Renuion, will ask about your Orange model
      Ken

Comment

Thanks for putting those pics up Brad. Somehow I knew that Miss SuziQ would be in there.

I remember seeing those models during my first visit to the POF, way back in the mid '90's. They were in that little building out back behind the Fighter Rebuilders hangar.

My favs?: gotta be the Strega model, followed closely by Greenamyer's 104, and the pre-kelp Dago. Nice work!
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Awesome stuff, nice to see them all in one post.
          Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Did you do the M&M's Spitfire, too?
            Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
              Did you do the M&M's Spitfire, too?
              Chris...
              Sorry, Chris...that wasn't mine. LOL

Comment

Awesome models Big Jim, i love the RB-51, i noticed that it was the 76 version with the little ventral fin under the tail.
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                  Awesome models Big Jim, i love the RB-51, i noticed that it was the 76 version with the little ventral fin under the tail.
                  Yeah, that was a long time ago...and it was 1/72 scale. I don't like working in that scale because of my eyesight and having to handpaint all that stuff...but I had the blades and spinners from a Shackelton model, so....

This is my 1/32 're-dux' version of the same plane...as it appeared at Mojave '76. I think this one is a bit closer to accurate. Prepped and ready for an IPMS show next weekend.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've seen the models on each of my visits to Chino and I didn't realize that you had done so many of them. Gorgeous.

Comment

The new model looks absolutely stunning
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Man, you must be really old to have built and finished that many models ! LOL. The RB looks real nice, wish I could make it up there this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                          Man, you must be really old to have built and finished that many models ! LOL. The RB looks real nice, wish I could make it up there this weekend.
                          I feel old. Does that count?

Comment

Yes,that counts. And I know how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                              Yes,that counts. And I know how you feel.
                              Now that this one is finished, I have a 1/32 Strega that I need to finally finish for Missleer...only 3 1/2 years in the making. But it's a Hasagawa conversion that has a lot more work than the $250 'starter kit' that the Fisher model was.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to find another Fisher kit (I believe the run is sold out) and do the 1975 Mojave version with the 'big bulge' lower engine cowling, the short tail, and the 'slab' ventral fin. So give me another 5 or 6 years to make that one happen......

Comment

Working...
                              X