New Up-and-coming Biplane Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Up-and-coming Biplane Racer

Karl Grove, pilot of "Drag Racer", has a new baby coming. Almost looks like IF-1's new racer "September Fate" and Aberle's "Phantom" got intimate...

http://www.boomerangracer.com/

Looks pretty sweet.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: New Up-and-coming Biplane Racer

that looks cool.

I still eagerly await the return of Miss Gianna.

Jeff? She gonna make it this year?

Comment

So here is a question. I didn't think Biplane allowed one off designs? Phantom has the data tag that says it's a "Mong", but there isn't much of a Mong left. Wonder what Grove's plan is for that little detail?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
        So here is a question. I didn't think Biplane allowed one off designs? Phantom has the data tag that says it's a "Mong", but there isn't much of a Mong left. Wonder what Grove's plan is for that little detail?
        There is no such rule.

Phantom is a one off design.

Tom's race plane before Phantom was based on a Mong, first as a Racing Biplane, when that class went away it was modified to fit the rules of the Sport Class.

Comment

I don't think that's the case, but can't find the rules on line. Was David Rose's biplane a derivative?

Comment

One off designs are allowed but have to be approved by the class. From what I can see from the renderings I only see one grey area and that is the lack of a defined cabane structure. It could be argued that the top wing is tied directly to the fuselage and that is not allowed under current rules. Dennis' original design for Boomerang had a defined top wing strut behind the canopy. Either way I hope it is allowed. The more racers the better and I would love to see Phantom pushed for a change.

Comment

I recall watching the Polikarpov I15 at the Wanaka Airshow, always a buzz to see a biplane tuck its legs up & under..

How would one of those Chaikas go at Reno? Has anyone tried?

Comment

Working...
              X