Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hangar Racing 2013 - Your Reno Air Races Predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangar Racing 2013 - Your Reno Air Races Predictions?

Well it's kind of quiet in here.. We all anticipate and very much want a full field of racers to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our great motorsport... Personally, I look forward to a great week! Seeing old friends, watching the best pilots in the world strut their stuff on the world's only closed course wing to wing air race... RENO!

My thoughts on who's gonna make it happen this year? Gonna just start this thread with Unlimited, but I know you guys know, there's LOTS more happening in other classes... feel free to jump in with more!

Say I'm crazy if you want...

Strega: Tiger has a plan, ... don't go to Reno 2013... yea.. right..
    Rare Bear: Boys in Texas work around the clock, decide that a stock engine with slow nose case and a conservative approach is best for this year...
    Precious Metal: Many well planed out changes... boys better lace them boots up! Fan Favorite!
    Dreadnought: As always, keeps everyone on their toes, setting the "bottom of the top" speed bracket to break into..
    Czech Mate: Back with new wing, new energy, happy crew does well all week, solid speeds, fan favorite #2

OK.. there's more but that's just me sitting here trying to think about something other than politics.. I think the racing will be fantastic, renewed airplanes, new opportunities for success.. who's name will be on that trophy next??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Hangar Racing 2013 - Your Reno Air Races Predictions?

Will Whiteside goes 400 MPH again... This time in the Sport Class

Comment

I think we will see a new Super Corsair in the unlimited gold.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
        Will Whiteside goes 400 MPH again... This time in the Sport Class
        Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        I think we will see a new Super Corsair in the unlimited gold.
        That's what I'm talkin about!!! I like the way you guys think!

Not too far out there for Will's prediction....

Super?? Geez Bob, you know the history far better than I... There's only one left, that I know of.. you got some inside stuff??

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

But wouldn't that be COOL!!!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

No mention of 232? People seem to end up forgetting that it is the world's fastest Sea Fury.
            "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
            -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
              No mention of 232? People seem to end up forgetting that it is the world's fastest Sea Fury.
              Keeping things in a positive light, no slight was intended. In my initial post, I wanted to leave some openings to spark the thread. Everyone was VERY impressed with Hoot's performance last year, steady, there when he needed to be, a real class act for sure and I'd expect to see him and that airplane in the mix for a win..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's time to move forward to the Digital Age with the Air Races. For example, live online show, GPS devices in each plane, multiple cameras and a microphone on each plane, cameras on top of each pylon, cameras in the pit area, digital grid on the course, shot from helicopters which show the exact location, speed, altitude etc of each plane on the course similar to what they are doing with the sailboat racing in the Americas Cup. Then archive it so it can viewed by anyone at anytime.

Questions? Ask the Americas Cup Staff how they can afford to do it to their boats.

61. ORACLE TEAM USA AC72 Capsize - AC Discovered
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Team Artemis is at the old Naval Air Station Alameda using the Sea Plane Lagoon to launch their boat and one of the larger hangars to store their boat and sail. This is 1/2 mile North of the USS Hornet Museum.
                Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

OK, I'll play:

Strega: If Tiger and Stevo and the gang show, can't see them not taking the Gold, however they will be pushed by:
                  232:: Likely has a lot more speed to show than what was evidenced last year, and Hoot flies one of the cleanest lines around
                  Precious Metal: : Might see the next "great leap forward" from this team, if the airframe cleanup yields significant speed gains. Certainly in the running for the gold if there's hiccups from the above two.
                  Rare Bear: The Great Unknown. New crew, how steep will the learning curve be? Will certainly show speed, but reliability?
                  Czech Mate: The Great Unknown II. Will the wing mods yield significant speed gains? In any case, will be great to see the little Yak that could back on the ramp.
                  Dred Sled: Old reliable.'Nuff said.

Bring on September !
                  Mark Johnson
                  Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                    It's time to move forward to the Digital Age with the Air Races. For example, live online
                    Jeff Lee (Live AirShowTV.COM) is working in this exact direction.. imagine if Jeff could combine what he's doing with the technology of what Netflix is doing with their streaming HD content! (addicted to MadMen).... Hard to believe that with an HDMI connection to your laptop, or a "smart TV"... that your Internet connection can deliver absolutely perfect High Definition images?

Anyone remember the old dial up "speeds"?
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Well it's kind of quiet in here.. We all anticipate and very much want a full field of racers to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our great motorsport... Personally, I look forward to a great week! Seeing old friends, watching the best pilots in the world strut their stuff on the world's only closed course wing to wing air race... RENO!

My thoughts on who's gonna make it happen this year? Gonna just start this thread with Unlimited, but I know you guys know, there's LOTS more happening in other classes... feel free to jump in with more!

Say I'm crazy if you want...

Strega: Tiger has a plan, ... don't go to Reno 2013... yea.. right..
                      Rare Bear: Boys in Texas work around the clock, decide that a stock engine with slow nose case and a conservative approach is best for this year...
                      Precious Metal: Many well planed out changes... boys better lace them boots up! Fan Favorite!
                      Dreadnought: As always, keeps everyone on their toes, setting the "bottom of the top" speed bracket to break into..
                      Czech Mate: Back with new wing, new energy, happy crew does well all week, solid speeds, fan favorite #2

OK.. there's more but that's just me sitting here trying to think about something other than politics.. I think the racing will be fantastic, renewed airplanes, new opportunities for success.. who's name will be on that trophy next??
                      Well, I've only gotten into following Reno for the past two weeks or so , but this is what I see happening:

Strega won't race. Hinton won't have a ride this year. Maybe back in 2014. (though I admit that it's odd to be making airshow appearances but not racing)
                      September Fury will be 2013 Unlimited Gold winner.
                      Precious Metal will make an excellent showing, possibly taking Gold, but realistically I think that will have to wait a year or two.
                      RareBear won't make the top three in Unlimited Gold (*ducks and runs for cover).
                      Dreadnought, as someone said earlier, will be keeping everyone on their toes. Solid plane and a good team.
                      Czech Mate, I don't even know enough about them to make a guess.

Now feel free to pull that apart and "educate me!"

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
                        Well, I've only gotten into following Reno for the past two weeks or so , but this is what I see happening:

Strega won't race. Hinton won't have a ride this year. Maybe back in 2014. (though I admit that it's odd to be making airshow appearances but not racing)
                        September Fury will be 2013 Unlimited Gold winner.
                        Precious Metal will make an excellent showing, possibly taking Gold, but realistically I think that will have to wait a year or two.
                        RareBear won't make the top three in Unlimited Gold (*ducks and runs for cover).
                        Dreadnought, as someone said earlier, will be keeping everyone on their toes. Solid plane and a good team.
                        Czech Mate, I don't even know enough about them to make a guess.

Now feel free to pull that apart and "educate me!"
                        Strega- Will show up and LD will owe me a night of drinking Whiskey for lying to me.

Precious Metal-Will fight hard with Strega and Thom will give her an extra 20 inches on the last lap to give fans the closest finish in years. So much so that it takes RARA three weeks to declare a winner. A Griffon wins Reno for the first time in over 30 years by a spinner rivet.

Bear- Right on first and seconds ass

232-Right on first and seconds ass

Buick- Toe to toe with Race 86, but on the last lap Smooter gives the scooter all she has and end's up right next to 77 and 232 in a close race for 2nd. Smoot takes it and Hoot and Stew both ask the same question "where the hell did he come from"?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                          Now that would be something to see!
                          Dream big or go home! I'm a racer and I want a race!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                            Strega- Will show up and LD will owe me a night of drinking Whiskey for lying to me.

Precious Metal-Will fight hard with Strega and Thom will give her an extra 20 inches on the last lap to give fans the closest finish in years. So much so that it takes RARA three weeks to declare a winner. A Griffon wins Reno for the first time in over 30 years by a spinner rivet.

Buick- Toe to toe with Race 86, but on the last lap Smooter gives the scooter all she has and end's up right next to 77 and 232 in a close race for 2nd. Smoot takes it and Hoot and Stew both ask the same question "where the hell did he come from"?!
                            I LIKE the way you think!!!!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ya just gave me the chills

Dream big or go home! I'm a racer and I want a race!
                              AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!
                              Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Working...
                              X