Clear All

Re: Strega Info???

Welcome to the Hangar Mike!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

yes once. Of course then we would have to get serious with the Merlin
      Best line I've seen in a while! the essence of the whole competition.
      Welcome!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hey Mike what team do you work with?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE NIXON View Post
          . Can I or anyone build a radial that could beat Strega? .

It can be done And more than once, But I doubt it will happen.

As a die hard radial fan and former Bear crew I do have to dip my hat to the whole Strega team. It was/is a kickass program and you guys earned every win!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
            Hey Mike what team do you work with?
            Whatever team pays the money, of course.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
              It can be done And more than once, But I doubt it will happen.

As a die hard radial fan and former Bear crew I do have to dip my hat to the whole Strega team. It was/is a kickass program and you guys earned every win!!
              I think what PAPA Nixon is trying to say is that you will beat him once and then he will find a way to squeeze more power out of a Merlin to beat you next time.

Comment

Can I or anyone build a radial that could beat Strega? I think thats a new thread but for now the answer is: yes once. Of course then we would have to get serious with the Merlin.
                Was that for the Bear? ...or other?

Comment

Or this :

Truth will set you free!!
                  Last edited by Dago Dog; 04-30-2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

What is the date of that photo? Is Lockwood flying? He has a shop 200 feet north of our Radial engine shop.

I have a photo of the first daytime run of Dago from August '82. I will try to get it posted.
                    The first engine run in Dago was a Sunday night at 11:55PM, first week of Aug. 1982. Frank Taylor had a $10,000 bet that we would have it running by Midnight! We did it and Frank won the bet. That lit a fire under the crew!
                    We had mated the wing and fuslage the middle of July. First flight was the Middle of August. The first win was the middle of Sept. Just a normal summer at Chino in the '80's.
                    The project was planned out on the first Friday evening of October, 1981 at a Mexican resturant on Vineland Blvd north of Burbank airport. On the back of the placemats. The planers were Pete Law, Bruce Boland, Tiger, Ron Hevley, Mike and Kim Nixon. Phase one was what won the next year. Phase two for '83 was to use a boiler to cool the oil. Phase three for '84 was to use a boiler to cool the engine. I was the project manager and I still have all the notes and drawings in my office. That notebook and the tooling for Dago was the basis we used for building Strega the next year. Two racers in 23 months.
                    The years '82, '83 and '84 saw three Mustangs, two Sea Furys and the Super Corsair arrive on the Reno ramp. The competition was fierice and the pile of broken engine parts was huge! I burned out a few years later with 4 Merlins in the Gold race. However we have had 5 or 6 engines at Reno most years since.
                    This Reno will be my 40th and I have boxes of t-shirts, photos and stories. I worked with Dave Zeuschel, Randy Scovill, Pete Law and Bruce Boland on the Red Barron Griffon project in 1974-75. That was a time to be in the game as a twenty something. It was a big jump from car engines. I helped build the last 427 engine Dave did at that time.
                    As I find time I will share a few more bits.

Comment

What is the date of that photo? Is Lockwood flying? He has a shop 200 feet north of our Radial engine shop.

I have a photo of the first daytime run of Dago from August '82. I will try to get it posted.
                      The first engine run in Dago was a Sunday night at 11:55PM, first week of Aug. 1982. Frank Taylor had a $10,000 bet that we would have it running by Midnight! We did it and Frank won the bet. That lit a fire under the crew!
                      We had mated the wing and fuslage the middle of July. First flight was the Middle of August. The first win was the middle of Sept. Just a normal summer at Chino in the '80's.
                      The project was planned out on the first Friday evening of October, 1981 at a Mexican resturant on Vineland Blvd north of Burbank airport. On the back of the placemats. The planers were Pete Law, Bruce Boland, Tiger, Ron Hevley, Mike and Kim Nixon. Phase one was what won the next year. Phase two for '83 was to use a boiler to cool the oil. Phase three for '84 was to use a boiler to cool the engine. I was the project manager and I still have all the notes and drawings in my office. That notebook and the tooling for Dago was the basis we used for building Strega the next year. Two racers in 23 months.
                      The years '82, '83 and '84 saw three Mustangs, two Sea Furys and the Super Corsair arrive on the Reno ramp. The competition was fierice and the pile of broken engine parts was huge! I burned out a few years later with 4 Merlins in the Gold race. However we have had 5 or 6 engines at Reno most years since.
                      This Reno will be my 40th and I have boxes of t-shirts, photos and stories. I worked with Dave Zeuschel, Randy Scovill, Pete Law and Bruce Boland on the Red Barron Griffon project in 1974-75. That was a time to be in the game as a twenty something. It was a big jump from car engines. I helped build the last 427 engine Dave did at that time.
                      Amazing, that is one hell of an effort to field so many motors, but the history and experiences of what you do is not only marvelled at by fanboys such as myself, but respected and revered by many in the aviation community as a whole, i must admit i cant wait to hear more to feed my appetite for racing history.
                      Thank you for all you have brought to the aviation community as a whole, and for the racing community
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Isn't Skip in the driver's seat for Dago? Penney in Bear!

Comment

That pic is from the demo "race" at Nellis in 2004. Skip is flying Dago.

Comment

Mike, that was a wonderful story and history lesson. Those were great years in the early eighties, you better write a book with all the good stuff you have been involved in and the people you have worked with. Our first year was 1974 and we've only missed two years since. It would be great to see all of the old racers, owners, crews and pilots at this years big 50, even if most of them don't race.
                            Ron

Comment

We plan to start the engine build this week

Comment

I love it when someone pulls the pin on a very large grenade and walks quietly from the room...especially when it is a respected member of the community.

Comment

Working...
                                X