Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega Info???

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    So why race if you have no chance of winning?
    Just a stab in the dark here, but I'd GUESS that the majority of the racers our there race because it's FUN. I'd even go so far as to say dueling wingtip to wingtip at 350mph is more fun (as in personally challenging) than running away from the field at 500mph

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
      Just a stab in the dark here, but I'd GUESS that the majority of the racers our there race because it's FUN. I'd even go so far as to say dueling wingtip to wingtip at 350mph is more fun (as in personally challenging) than running away from the field at 500mph
      Sounds right to me

Comment

Your right there, its about the fun factor.

Just like when I go kart race. Usually I knock everyone out of the way to move to the front, then back off let them pass so I can do it again. The front is lonely.

In the case of being a top qualifier in a real venue, I'd still prefer to be mid pack and enjoy the action, then if equipment prevails I'd make a move on the last lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          Your right there, its about the fun factor.

Just like when I go kart race. Usually I knock everyone out of the way to move to the front, then back off let them pass so I can do it again. The front is lonely.

In the case of being a top qualifier in a real venue, I'd still prefer to be mid pack and enjoy the action, then if equipment prevails I'd make a move on the last lap.

Top Qualifier IIRC has a Bonus check.

Messing around in dirty air and traffic is not that much fun.

Plus if you cut a pylon having a half lap buffer is nice..................

Comment

Big Jim
            Those of us that have been there for years have a little different perspective on some of it, I agree. There have been so many racers that have come and gone, morphed into something or simply disappeared off the radar. The ones popular today will be replaced by new stars (to some extent, though I do hope for PM to FINALLY win this thing someday) if the sport continues. We've seen the crew efforts and expense go from an El Camino with tools in the back to the machine shops on wheels.
            I've been amazed at the speed increases over the years. When Jeannie did a 446 we all thought it was insanely fast. Now some look at 490 as too slow.
            The technology in these planes now is incredible, growing from "change the plugs and see if that helps" to the video game that is Strega.
            It's just all so cool but not seen if you've only been going a couple years. That's why the history is so important to the sport.
            Oh, and the slow races are USUALLY the best. One of my all time favorites was the constant back and forth between Blue MaX (F4U) and Puss n Boots (A-26) in 85. The A-26 won it with the bomb bay doors opening and closing...for fun.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

All I know is that the closer Precious Metal moves towards the front of the pack our fan base has jumped with it as has the people jumping in to help with that move to the front. People from Dago, Voodoo, 232 all in the mix with our program now. Never thought I would see the day!

Comment

I know I'm a fan, you guys are almost my #1, after Sparky.
                Voodoo is still out there for anyone well-heeled enough to get into and campaign. Personally, it got too "easy" for Strega the last few years from an observers point of view. Don't flame me, I KNOW the hard work and expense it took to get there, just that they set the bar so High it just seemed effortless to be a half lap or more ahead in the gold.
                Personally I am looking forward to seeing PM, Dread, Cm and 232 (and the Bear) duking it out.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  #7 fans, keep your heads up...
                  Thanks Joe.

I've been reading about Reno for literally as long as I can remember, but it was seeing Air Racers 3D and Stevo's inspiring win in '09 that reignited the love of air racing. Hope they come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    #7 fans, keep your heads up...

Joseph
                    Yeah I still think Tiger is throwing up a gambit. Remember races can be won two ways... With a superior machine, or by mind f**king people. The Strega team is very good on both fronts. Hell if I were Tiger I would do the same. Say that I'm done so that other team don't go out and spend a bunch of money to try and keep up with me. We are approaching this year as if he is full of s**t and will in fact be there and that Strega is still the plane to beat in 2013.

THIS ISN'T CHECKERS... IT'S CHESS!
                    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Either way Bill, the work you guys are doing on PM is very impressive. If Strega doesn't show up, I'll be pulling for you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                        Yeah I still think Tiger is throwing up a gambit. Remember races can be won two ways... With a superior machine, or by mind f**king people. The Strega team is very good on both fronts. Hell if I were Tiger I would do the same. Say that I'm done so that other team don't go out and spend a bunch of money to try and keep up with me. We are approaching this year as if he is full of s**t and will in fact be there and that Strega is still the plane to beat in 2013.

THIS ISN'T CHECKERS... IT'S CHESS!
                        Bill,

A strategy session at work here, messing with the competition (see photo) :-)

I think we are all excited to see the new PM paint scheme. You'll hear a lot of "go PM go" this year my friend.

Make sure Thom orders lots of Ts and maybe some long sleeve versions. I like last years blue tees.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          The fact that some of the planes in air racing have racing backgrounds of forty or more years (Miss America, Rare Bear, even a couple that (arguably, in one case) went back to the 1940's. The same airframe.
                          White Lightning?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                            White Lightning?

Jarrod
                            Stirring the pot, I see.......

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                              Doesn't it seem a bit strange to you that the fastest planes are the ones being retired? Maybe they should retire some of the less competitive planes...if the owners of these planes don't want to race anymore, why not sell these race-ready planes to those who would like to continue racing and may be interested in winning?
                              I can give one reason they shouldn't sell them off...they don't want to do so. Where is the crime in that? If I had built, raced and owned anything...plane, car, boat...whatever...and had all that fun and memories, I'd love looking out and seeing the machine sitting there and smiling back at me. I prefer somebody to keep a plane in its Racing config, than to sell it off to become one of many stock planes, probably painted like 3 others already out there. I love seeing Strega, what a great looking plane it is. I would hope they race her this year for the 50th. It would be fitting to see her there and share in the legacy she helped create. It would also be nice to see an aircraft known to be sorted out and a winner mixing it up against the folks gunning for the Gold against her.

Comment

Things are not always what they seem.
                                The engine is an ongoing experiment and is really the things that worked from the past. It includes some of the best ideals of Rolls, Packard, Dave Zeuschel, Thorn and myself. Edison summed it up when he said we know thousands of ways to not do something! I have 40 years of notes, drawings and ideals that have been tried and the results. I can tell you (not!) what the rod in cylinder A3's weight was in Dago in 1984. The competition over the years has keep Reno interesting and always going faster.
                                The future of our engines at Reno is as always, dependent on time and money. I have a few things left up my sleeve and if we (the team) can pull it together we might have the old reunion tour. Actually, when it comes to engines, I have a lot up my sleeve! Because of my work I have seen the insides of the best engines of World War two and Korea. Add to that drag racing and sport cars and there is a lot of experience to draw from. I also rebuild radials so I have a good understanding of their limits and potential. Can I or anyone build a radial that could beat Strega? I think thats a new thread but for now the answer is: yes once. Of course then we would have to get serious with the Merlin.

Comment

Working...
                                X