Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega Info???

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    I see a pattern here...first the fastest unlimited ever (Dago) is retired, then the 2nd fastest unlimited ever (Strega) is retired. What next, Rare Bear? They are going to keep retiring these racers (in order of fastest to slowest) until all that's left of the unlimited class is a bunch of stock planes....
    Yes.

Happy now?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Yes.

Happy now?
      Doesn't it seem a bit strange to you that the fastest planes are the ones being retired? Maybe they should retire some of the less competitive planes...if the owners of these planes don't want to race anymore, why not sell these race-ready planes to those who would like to continue racing and may be interested in winning?

Comment

Doesn't it seem a bit strange to you that the fastest planes are the ones being retired? Maybe they should retire some of the less competitive planes...if the owners of these planes don't want to race anymore, why not sell these race-ready planes to those who would like to continue racing and may be interested in winning?
        Money, Cash, Moolah, Frogskins........etc

Takes a rather significant pile of cash to feild a competitive racer, While at the same time as you get faster you are removing the utility of the airframe. Why spend Millions modifying an airframe, put 10's of thousands of hours into it creating something that is not enjoyable to fly then spend more millions and thousands more hours to win a prize that barely pays the hotel bill for the week.

Don't get me wrong I truly love air racing but at the same time I am a realist.

So to sum it up, Doesn't seem strange at all.

Comment

You make no sense.

Rare Bear: sold to another owner that is still racing it
          232: Sold to another owner that is still racing it
          Dago: Sold to a crook that raced it (crook was the owner, not the pilot...don't want anyone thinking I'm throwing rocks at the Dan Martin here), then someone that wanted to race had possession of it until the banks got in the mix and sold it to a non racer. Not exactly retired due to a lack of interest.
          Voodoo: For sale, no buyers
          Strega: Retired from racing but still actively flown and could very well return in the future.
          Precious Metal: Retired 2-3 times, each time it ended up with someone else who goes out and races it...
          Last edited by Race5; 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            Money, Cash, Moolah, Frogskins........etc

Takes a rather significant pile of cash to feild a competitive racer
            Exactly. So why race if you have no chance of winning? If I were a racer and a plane like Dago or Strega was up for sale or was retired from racing, I'd jump on it, or I'd be finding out what it would take to get them to sell...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              You make no sense.

Rare Bear: sold to another owner that is still racing it
              232: Sold to another owner that is still racing it
              Dago: Sold to a crook that raced it (crook was the owner, not the pilot...don't want anyone thinking I'm throwing rocks at the Dan Martin here), then someone that wanted to race had possession of it until the banks got in the mix and sold it to a non racer. Not exactly retired due to a lack of interest.
              Voodoo: For sale, no buyers
              Strega: Retired from racing but still actively flown and could very well return in the future.
              Precious Metal: Retired 2-3 times, each time it ended up with someone else who goes out and races it...
              So in other words, you think it's purely coincidental that the two fastest Reno racers ever were retired...I suppose that's a possibility...

Comment

So in other words, you think it's purely coincidental that the two fastest Reno racers ever were retired...I suppose that's a possibility...
                At one point in time a 6-time National Champion, current holder of both the 3km and Reno qualifying record was retired and donated to the Smithsonian because the owner was 'done' racing it, so yes, of course it's a possibility.

Just because the planes are 'fastest' doesn't mean that the owners don't have personal or financial issues that dictate they SELL them. Tiger has been racing Strega for THIRTY years. I think the man has earned the right to do whatever he wants with the airplane without having anyone second-guess why. He could park it on the hanger and polish it every Sunday for the rest of his life and he doesn't have to answer to you or me or anyone else.

Comment

Exactly. So why race if you have no chance of winning? If I were a racer and a plane like Dago or Strega was up for sale or was retired from racing, I'd jump on it, or I'd be finding out what it would take to get them to sell...
                  Then go buy Voodo.

Comment

The plane may have, or have had the potential to be fast but there is more to it than just a plane as we have seen.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                      Then go buy Voodo.
                      Why? If I wanted to get into racing I'd want to win, therefore I'd rather buy Strega or Dago...
                      Last edited by grampi; 04-25-2013, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                        Your foil hat is slipping.
                        So anyone who thinks outside the box wears a tin foil hat?

Comment

OK then, if thinking outside the box means you limit yourself to only two racers, see what it would take for Tiger to sell Strega.
                          It is retired from racing.

Comment

Why? If I wanted to get into racing I'd want to win, therefore I'd rather buy Strega or Dago...
                            So instead of going after Voodoo you pick one airplane that is not for sale, and most likely won't be, and one that has been completely stripped of all race parts while being returned to stock. Riiiight....

Comment

Some people live in a fan boy dream world where Dago Red and Strega are the only two racers that have ever mattered. And they need to pay respect to the fans of other racers...or people like me that want to see all racers compete and all share the limelight at some point. That is what makes this sport great.

Time to climb out of the wishing well...you're not the only air racing fan.
                              "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                                Some people live in a fan boy dream world where Dago Red and Strega are the only two racers that have ever mattered. And they need to pay respect to the fans of other racers...or people like me that want to see all racers compete and all share the limelight at some point. That is what makes this sport great.

Time to climb out of the wishing well...you're not the only air racing fan.
                                Don't take it too personally, Nathan. Some people like to stir the pot...something I've dont a time or two. Everyone has an opinion. It's whether you can back it up or if you're just talking out of your rear quarter that makes the difference.

Air racing is so amazingly unique in that the same vehicles have amazing longevity. If you look at other forms of motorsports, front-line, true racing machines only last a handful of years before they are replaced by newer models--either by necessity of safety or to 'keep up'. The fact that some of the planes in air racing have racing backgrounds of forty or more years (Miss America, Rare Bear, even a couple that (arguably, in one case) went back to the 1940's. The same airframe. Consider that the next time you see Tony Stewart or Kyle Busch wad up a Sprint Cup car).

Some of the racers have deep-seated fan bases too...you're in the Dago camp, or you're in the Strega camp, or you're in the Bear camp...and these racers come back year after year after year. A lot of the fans today don't know racing 'without' those players. They are fans, but they don't know about, embrace, or study the history of where it all came from. Everyone needs to recognize times change. How many people who read this board actually saw Darryl Greenamyer race Conquest 1, or Mac McClain/Steve Hinton run the Red Baron? How many people actually saw Jeannie, or Tsunami, or were around when everyone honestly thought that NOBODY would ever beat Dreadnought?

To some people, the fact that one Mustang has done 507 mph or whatever is the be-all, end-all...and if that is all they can see, it's a shame, because the progression and advancement in speeds and modifications over the last 50 years have been amazing, each in their own right 'important' and 'significant'. I mean, I can remember for the longest time only two pilots (Greenamyer and Shleton) had ever won Reno more than twice. What about the year that three qualifying records were set on three consecutive days by three different Unlmiiteds? "Holy cow, THREE planes that all went over 435 mph. You'll never beat that!" As I've said before, some of the best races I've ever seen were Silver heats in the 350 mph range. Going fastest doesn't necessarily make a good race. And that needs to be kept in perspective. If it was easy to just go out and buy the fastest plane ("If I were a racer and a plane like Dago or Strega was up for sale or was retired from racing, I'd jump on it"), then everyone would do it, right?

Grampi is scope-locked on 'his' narrow-viewed passions and ideals. Let him blow-off his harmless steam. Everybody should have the kind of passion he has for the sport...misguided and sometimes uninformed as it may be.

Comment

Working...
                                X