Rare Bear Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Update

Our world-famous collection started with one T-28 Trojan trainer Rod Lewis purchased in 1995. Rod’s growing squadron now musters 36 flying heroes, along with some of those they fought against. Like the almost mythic Glacier Girl P-38F, each has its own incredible story. See them here. Where legends

Re: Rare Bear Update

From the above link (thanks!):

Latest News

Setting the Record Straight!

Lets set the record straight shall we! Rare Bear departed Stead Field on March 28, 2013, trekked through Arizona and New Mexico, and landed in Breckenridge, Texas on April 5, 2013. Lewis Air Legends was privileged to have Les Chapman Transport, one of the most prestigious aircraft haulers in the world, lead the Bear to Texas, where she will be enhanced by the Ezell Aviation team in hopes of taking home the big win at the 50th Annual Reno Air Race Championships this year! Please take a look at newest video to the left for a more in depth look on Rare Bear’s journey to the South.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Thanks for the links.

Now the question will be, will Rare Bear fly to Reno or be transported.

I hope Lewis & Company continue to release/tease us with news and general information on Rare Bears progress for the 50th
      campaign. After all, the Bear has amassed a large fan base over the years.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-09-2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Re: Setting the Record Straight!

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        I carped loudly in another thread about the lack of skin protection for the airplane during the move.. I'm just sayin, an ounce of prevention a lot of times prevents a lot of hours of cure... I sure wind up with a lot of rock dings in the front of my truck whenever I'm around the wheels of a big rig... I hope my concern was unfounded and that Nelson's boys don't have to give up any time making skin repairs...

Outside the obvious, and easily mitigated road rash risks, it would never have occurred to me that simply moving something like an airplane over the road would cause the engine to be damaged. That said.. more than one person involved with the Bear's engine for many years have told me that if it were moved a great distance with the engine with the horizontal plane, severe internal damage would be done to the race engine installed on the aircraft . Apparently, there would be great stress loads on the bearings in a way they were not designed for.

Would moving a stock 3350 hanging off like that cause problems? I'd have to ask the guys who know.. stands to reason that it might. But then a stock engine is probably not going to be pressed as hard as a race 3350... Gotta remember guys, the engine on the Bear is not "truly" a 3350. It's quite different in many ways, both internally and externally. I'm not going to argue with the guys who build those things.. When they tell me that moving the airplane with engine in place, that far, would cause difficult to detect internal damage, I'm going to tend to believe them.

I hope they are wrong! I'm sure we will all gladly eat large portions of noisy black bird if they are!

I hope if they are right, the problems are discovered on the ground or over an airport and that we see a healthy Rare Bear at RENO this year!..

GO BEAR 2013! Get 'er done guys, there's a bunch of guys down in Florida who are gonna be a lot happier if they hold that trophy on Sunday with your airplane sitting beside them!

We wish you well new Bear crew... go get em!

This is an airplane designed to operate off a carrier. The air frame including the motor mount is going to be fine. This" transport the motor on the plane is wrong" is nonsense and I have NEVER heard someone credible suggest such a thing. Until someone can document a case of any similar motor suffering damage that can be proven to have been caused by the motor being transported in this manner I'm going to call BS. If it can't survive a truck ride it certainly won't survive any time at race power in the air.

There are a lot of arm chair experts upset about no longer being part of the Bear party that want to nitpick everything. I'd say get over it. Let's see what the new program brings for the Bear, then everyone can decide if it was a good or a bad thing.

By the way, I am not including the folks with real direct experience that have offered interesting thoughts on the program in the past in the "arm chair experts" I speak of. If you flew it, build it or thought up the mods I've enjoyed everything you've ever decided to share with us about your experiences! As for the rest of us, I expect we have no credibility when it comes to second guessing the current Bear program.

This in the end will come down to September where we all see how this will turn out. Till then I'm more about optimism, encouragement and anticipation of the thrill of the Bear back around the pylons than trying to seem smarter than the real experts working to make Bear the winner again that we've all seen it be in the past.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Re: Setting the Record Straight!

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Hummn... who then are you referring to? As for the "opinions" I've put forth, I'm only repeating, with permission, what was told to me by the engine builder himself.
          Can't wait for his post.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by Box A35 View Post
            The video will not play. I see the still frame but it won't play. Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Yep. It starts to load/buffer, then stops. I tried the post on FB and same thuing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                Yep. It starts to load/buffer, then stops. I tried the post on FB and same thuing happens.
                Works in the area I'm in. Seems not to be cached from when I viewed it earlier, looks like it's downloading as I view it... ??
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I always download videos to my desktop so I can watch them later without the "jerkyness" of most video sites. I have FireFox browser and there is an add-on called "DownloadHelper" that I use for that. It works on about 90% of the videos in the Web.

Comment

Seems we lost a few postings over the last 24 hours, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Seems we lost a few postings over the last 24 hours, eh?
                      You do have a gift for the obvious don't you BJ.... put your stir stick away Speedie.... Sometimes I push electrons... sometimes, I take them away...
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Haters gonna hate
                        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X