Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Hawaii

Default Re: USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Haw

Here is the text from the Newsletter that was sent out after have the announcement that the Hornet was moving to Hawaii

RETRACTION OF EARLIER EBUZZ
    Titled "Pearl Harbor Bound!" dated April 1, 2013

This note is to clarify an earlier UNAUTHORIZED “E-Buzz” email sent out this morning from the
    USS Hornet Museum. The people quoted had absolutely no involvement and any quotes attributed to them were fabricated.

Even though unauthorized, the intent of the earlier email was meant as an April Fool's joke.

The USS Hornet Museum has no current plans for leaving the San Francisco Bay Area.

Our apologies if this caused any undue concerns or confusion.

Sincerely,

Randall Ramian
    CEO
    USS Hornet Museum
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Haw

Now that we have got that cleared up tell your friends to stop by and pay the old girl a visit next time they are in the Bay Area.

As an April fool's joke only so-so.

In a brazen attempt to hijack a thread.... I've seem to recall a few good ones on this board, but the best I ever saw, was on an historic building undergoing renovation in downtown Pleasanton, CA, someone hung an official looking sign reading "Coming Soon: Hooters". Apparently the city managers phone lines lit up and he issued a denial with a statement insisting the joke was not funny. I have know idea who did it, but I'd like to shake his hand.

Your best?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    You are/were correct. Just called in and confirmed it. What a stupid idea. The person responsible for this should be flogged, then keelhauled as punishment.
    Not stupid, brilliant! They just got a ton of free advertising in newspapers and websites and created awareness about a great museum.

Greetings everyone, I'm a new poster, however, I've been lurking in the in the shadows for a couple years.

I am a member of the USS Hornet Docents staff. "The Hornet is moving to Hawaii." April fools prank was dreamed up by a member of the staff and sent out without the knowledge of the CEO or the Museum Director. This was a clever and well thought out prank an initial reaction to it was swift and emotional. However, as it began to sink in and people reread the article. It was clear that this was a work of fiction. A retraction was sent out later that afternoon and read as follows:

""RETRACTION OF EARLIER EBUZZ

Titled "Pearl Harbor Bound!" dated April 1, 2013

This note is to clarify an earlier UNAUTHORIZED “E-Buzz” email sent out this morning from the
    USS Hornet Museum. The people quoted had absolutely no involvement and any quotes attributed to them were fabricated.

Even though unauthorized, the intent of the earlier email was meant as an April Fool's joke.

The USS Hornet Museum has no current plans for leaving the San Francisco Bay Area.

Our apologies if this caused any undue concerns or confusion.

Sincerely,

Randall Ramian
    CEO
    USS Hornet Museum"

With the exception of a few who did not or could not understand this was a joke, everyone thought it was funny. The museum did receive several phone calls from media outlets, newspaper and television asking for verification and fact check.

No one believes this will harm Hornet in any way.

So in conclusion, the Hornet is not going anywhere. There is no conspiracy, there is no hidden agenda, this was simply a practical joke.

Carry on gentleman and thank you for your attention.

Keith,

Congrats on your first post and welcome to HangerTalk.

As Artic Fox said "brilliant", the last 2-3 years I keep saying its time to visit the Hornet again and something comes up.

After that email, its definately higher up on my bucket list for the year.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.