Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Hawaii

This was an Aprils Fools Joke that I received from their forwarded newsletter that I interpreted as the truth.

Watch what will happen. People will want to visit the Hornet and will search for its website. Suppose they end up here and read that it is closed. Then will not visit it, and this could easily have a negative effect on their business, which could always be better. Bad idea.

They have Yearly Individual and Family Membership programs that allow you Unlimited access to the USS Hornet and at a very reasonable price. So if you plan on attending more than once or twice a year, the Membership program is the way to save money.

If you attend the church services on Sunday at 11am, you can tour the ship for free before and after the church services, which is a great deal. It's a great museum with lots of Aircraft and Displays. You can easily spend 3-4-5 hours aboard.

This is from the April 2013 Newsletter.

After years of speculation we are happy to announce the relocation of the USS Hornet Museum to Honolulu, Hawaii. The ship will be berthed astern of the USS Missouri Museum ship and not far from the USS Arizona Memorial (see the proposed mooring photo below). The exact date for the towing and arrival have yet to be finalized but the intention is to have Hornet safely moored in her new home by this time next year.

Our CEO, Randall Ramian, said that the negotiations for the move have been long and complex and had to be kept confidential. "Now that we have a signed agreement I am really looking forward to making this move a success!"

The Hornet will be moored just aft of the USS Missouri Museum at the south-east edge of Ford Island. Quite fittingly the road along the shore at that spot is Hornet Drive.

Several of the current staff members are absolutely giddy with anticipation. Our CFO, Ray Camino is from Hawaii and has family there. When asked about her reaction to the move all Ray said was, "Pupule hau'oli!!".

Given the smile on her face we take that to mean she was happy.

Rick Thoms, our Air Group Ops Director used to live on Maui and will be moving from Reno (his current hometown) to Oahu. Thoms is looking forward to getting back into his favorite sport, body surfing. "I tried it in Reno but the snow was just too darn cold", said Thoms.

Ramian is an active US Navy Reserve Captain (SC). Coincidentally, Ramian has a command he is responsible for in Pearl Harbor which, "will be a lot easier getting to once Hornet moves there." He assures us that his reserve obligations had nothing to do with the relocation of Hornet.

There was some concern that we would lose many of our excellent docent and volunteer crew. Several of the older and crankier guys had expressed concern about traveling over the Bay Bridge if the ship were to move to San Francisco. Honolulu has turned out to be much more favorably viewed and we expect many of our volunteers from all departments to relocate.

One of our senior docents, Dale Berven, thought the timing was great. With home prices on the rebound (up 17% on average in the bay area over the last six months), he is putting his home in Livermore up for sale. "Joanne and I have been thinking about moving closer to Hornet anyway. Now we will get a home on Ford Island and I can walk to the ship".

Further information will be published as appropriate over the coming weeks. Please do not call the museum.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM.

Re: USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Haw

That was an April fools prank. A retraction was sent the following day because so many suckers fell for it.

Comment

Re: USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier Museum leaving NAS Alameda moving to Pearl Harbor Haw

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      That was an April fools prank. A retraction was sent the following day because so many suckers fell for it.
      I don't think it's an Aprils fools prank. I think the Hornet is moving to Hawaii. A business like the Hornet would not make a prank like this that would harm their reputation/business.

Show me the retraction on their website or newsletter.
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

The San Francisco Bay Area was THE Jumping OFF point for nearly all military personnel and equipment in support of WWII, Post WWII Japan, Korea and to a lessor extent, Viet Nam. Some of us remember a rich Navy, Army, and Air Force presence here for decades..

The Hornet Museum is one of the Last major exhibit's in the Bay Area honoring WWII and the Military contribution and history. Frankly I cannot think of another exhibit around the greater Bay Area, or Northern California, having anything like it.

I would be Very sorry to see it lost to Hawaii, but the good people of the Bay Area, having elected all the antiwar Liberal Politicians ever to come along , should thank themselves for allowing those politicians to completely gut the military personnel and bases in California and the SF Bay Area in particular, and in "my book" do not deserve to keep this monument to human endevour!

And people travel to Hawaii from around the world to see the Pearl Harbor exhibits.... at least it would be seen and appreciated there...

And to those that say "they" would not do that....I give you the Iowa Battleship.. just left here a couple months back, from her Bay Area storage after years of discussions...with potential museum deals....to lose it, to southern California...

Hoax? LOL ...... but.. Really Moving...Too Bad So Sad!

Comment

When it opened in October 1998, the Hornet Management Staff had anticipated a lot more attendance than what they are currently getting today. I believe the City of Alameda is charging them $800 a day for berthing fees. Add staff, insurance, maintenance, electricity etc and they were not bringing in the revenue that they had planned.

The Volunteers had done a wonderful job of restoring the Aircraft and Helicopters, all the individual rooms, Flight Deck, Navigation Bridge, Flight Operation Bridge, mess haul, medical, sleeping quarters, engine room, combat information center, ready rooms etc.

I remember attending a New Years Eve party where in the Hangar Bay they hung some curtains, laid two dance floors, installed a center stage and had a big band type band. They had parked a few of the aircraft on each side of the stage and lit the aircraft with floor and ceiling lighting. It was like being outdoors in a pleasant dream back in time, but inside the Hanger Bay and out of the weather. It was really nice. It was the best military attraction and best Party Ship of the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm sad to see it go.

If it had been moved to Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco, it would have had better attendance from tourism. The Alameda Naval Air Station is very isolated from the rest of the Bay Area.

You can see all the rooms and aircraft here: http://www.uss-hornet.org/

Closed New Year’s, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Days. For the most current Museum hours, please vi...

Here is the wikipedia page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hornet_(CV-12)
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            I don't think it's an Aprils fools prank. I think the Hornet is moving to Hawaii. A business like the Hornet would not make a prank like this that would harm their reputation/business.

Show me the retraction on their website or newsletter.
            After laughing I deleted the e-mail that was sent to the docents. I will believe it once they issue a press release, which I would think they would have done by now with news this big.

Comment

Bingo Take it for what it's worth...

Comment

I've been on her twice, almost time for another visit.

The last I went with my daughter we did the guided tour down into the ships, engine room etc.

Everything on the ship is so well preserved , the operating room, galley, heads, bunks, bridge, etc.

You get a good sense of what life was like being stationed on her, the vibration, smells, strange sounds, never know whats lurking around the dark corners.

Comment

Good one. One of the better 4 1 jokes around.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    You are/were correct. Just called in and confirmed it. What a stupid idea. The person responsible for this should be flogged, then keelhauled as punishment.
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Here is the text from the Newsletter that was sent out after have the announcement that the Hornet was moving to Hawaii

RETRACTION OF EARLIER EBUZZ
                      Titled "Pearl Harbor Bound!" dated April 1, 2013

This note is to clarify an earlier UNAUTHORIZED “E-Buzz” email sent out this morning from the
                      USS Hornet Museum. The people quoted had absolutely no involvement and any quotes attributed to them were fabricated.

Even though unauthorized, the intent of the earlier email was meant as an April Fool's joke.

The USS Hornet Museum has no current plans for leaving the San Francisco Bay Area.

Our apologies if this caused any undue concerns or confusion.

Sincerely,

Randall Ramian
                      CEO
                      USS Hornet Museum
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Now that we have got that cleared up tell your friends to stop by and pay the old girl a visit next time they are in the Bay Area.

Comment

As an April fool's joke only so-so.

In a brazen attempt to hijack a thread.... I've seem to recall a few good ones on this board, but the best I ever saw, was on an historic building undergoing renovation in downtown Pleasanton, CA, someone hung an official looking sign reading "Coming Soon: Hooters". Apparently the city managers phone lines lit up and he issued a denial with a statement insisting the joke was not funny. I have know idea who did it, but I'd like to shake his hand.

Your best?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                            You are/were correct. Just called in and confirmed it. What a stupid idea. The person responsible for this should be flogged, then keelhauled as punishment.
                            Not stupid, brilliant! They just got a ton of free advertising in newspapers and websites and created awareness about a great museum.

Comment

Greetings everyone, I'm a new poster, however, I've been lurking in the in the shadows for a couple years.

I am a member of the USS Hornet Docents staff. "The Hornet is moving to Hawaii." April fools prank was dreamed up by a member of the staff and sent out without the knowledge of the CEO or the Museum Director. This was a clever and well thought out prank an initial reaction to it was swift and emotional. However, as it began to sink in and people reread the article. It was clear that this was a work of fiction. A retraction was sent out later that afternoon and read as follows:

""RETRACTION OF EARLIER EBUZZ

Titled "Pearl Harbor Bound!" dated April 1, 2013

This note is to clarify an earlier UNAUTHORIZED “E-Buzz” email sent out this morning from the
                              USS Hornet Museum. The people quoted had absolutely no involvement and any quotes attributed to them were fabricated.

Even though unauthorized, the intent of the earlier email was meant as an April Fool's joke.

The USS Hornet Museum has no current plans for leaving the San Francisco Bay Area.

Our apologies if this caused any undue concerns or confusion.

Sincerely,

Randall Ramian
                              CEO
                              USS Hornet Museum"

With the exception of a few who did not or could not understand this was a joke, everyone thought it was funny. The museum did receive several phone calls from media outlets, newspaper and television asking for verification and fact check.

No one believes this will harm Hornet in any way.

So in conclusion, the Hornet is not going anywhere. There is no conspiracy, there is no hidden agenda, this was simply a practical joke.

Carry on gentleman and thank you for your attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X