Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear Sighting

Originally posted by al baby View Post
    Remember the pic of a certain young, hot-shot pilot/mechanic wearing a wig and leaned over a 3350??

jussayin
    And dating Amanda Lewis.

Comment

Big Jim is on the road with his son DJ and they have reported passing Rare Bear 10 miles West of Phoenix on I-10 sitting with the truck and trailer on the side of the road.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
        Big Jim is on the road with his son DJ and they have reported passing Rare Bear 10 miles West of Phoenix on I-10 sitting with the truck and trailer on the side of the road.
        Not that it needed to be, but confirmed in AZ. I swear if you made Brad and DJ link arms in an arch and ran fast enough between them you would do some sort of time space warp and see the entire history of air racing.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
          The Bear's got a fair amount of I-10 in front of her before turning South. Unless they don't need roads where they're going (BttF reference).

Comment

1:30 PM in Goodyear, AZ

Comment

Sorry about the confusion. I saw the Bear Thursday morning. It was at Waker lake that afternoon.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                1:30 PM in Goodyear, AZ

Crap! I posted in another thread about my surprise that they didn't even do the most rudimentary protection against the elements for the airframe. God, this is the same airplane that I've done extensive FOD checks for at RENO when the bus I was riding on had to drive across the runway, to ensure there was no chance of any damage by impact with the dreaded POS that is FOD...

So these guys figure they can just pile this old airplane on a trailer, strap 'er down, plant the lights, get the permits, call the flaggers and ger'er'done.

What a classic F U C K U P!

Shipping an engine that cost close to a half million after all is considered, hanging on an airplane that cost well over a million and is probably worth more than anyone can calculate in historical value... in the wrong "plane"... meaning hanging OVER the rotating bearings.... Anyone wonder why the shipping vessels for these engines are orientated as they are?

I'm one of the guys that gets to help record the history of this sport (as are all of you!).. I spent all of my adult working life working within the transport industry.... I'll go on official record that I have never seen a more valuable assert shipped in a more half assed manner in my entire career in the industry.

Not even a friggin tarp?

Couple guys have asked to leave this forum because of threads that take this sort of direction.. S h i t.. Goodbye but damn, threads on this site don't cause the kind of damage we're looking at here!

I don't want to embarrass anyone but, who's the boss of this move? Did they ask anyone who has ever done anything like this before? Or, did they just figure, it's just an airplane?

My head is reeling..
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If you drive I5 south of Sacramento or I80 between Sacramento and Vacaville in northern California the roads are absolutely terrible. I tow a 10,000 lb boat and trailer through these 2 areas and its one rough adventure.

The semi truck trailer used for this does not have much if any suspension to absorb road bumps. Wonder what effect this will have. The wings will experience loads worth a life time of hard landings?

Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I wonder how they'll get it back to Reno for the races ??

Comment

Well Shoooot... Y'allll just throw a lassoooo around her and we'll cinch her down...realll good and tight...nnn hold On and here we go,... whhhooooowwweeeee.

I have met some ... "Truck Drivers" who..... seemed like they might have been to TexAss, on vacation from their home in ArKansaaww...

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                        The Bear's got a fair amount of I-10 in front of her before turning South.
                        North. If they stick to interstates, I assume they'll veer north onto I-20 just west of Balmorhea.

Long difficult haul, no matter how you slice it.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                          North. If they stick to interstates, I assume they'll veer north onto I-20 just west of Balmorhea.

Long difficult haul, no matter how you slice it.
                          I-20 is under construction between Midland and Dallas and there are several restrictions on over width loads through there. I'm not sure they can take that route. I thought they would have taken Hwy 289 from Lubbock to Breckenridge, but the would have cut through NM most likely if they planned to go that way. They should have filed a flight plan so we could follow on flight aware

Comment

I believe they have the right people on the project and they know what they're doing - between Ezell and Dawson and Cardin and the Lewis Aeronautics owner and his organization. There are professional aircraft movers in the world, I bet that's who they are using.
                            Why do you guys think you know better than they? I guess, when you buy your million dollar racer, I'm sure you'll do better.

Comment

Perhaps they're not that concerned about the move because they don't plan on campaigning her this year (or anymore)...

I sure hope that's not the case. RB has been my personal favorite since I started going to Reno. But, as has been said many times before, it's Rod's plane and he can handle things however he wants. Best wishes to all those that have been part of this magnificent air race program throughout it's long history.
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post

I have met some ... "Truck Drivers" who..... seemed like they might have been to TexAss, on vacation from their home in ArKansaaww...

LOL
                                Don't be banging on us Arkies. Them boys is from Longhorn country, we don't mix well with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X