Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Race Simulator Game

Default Re: Air Race Simulator Game

Joseph,

Wow, those are some awesome graphics. So what system do you use, Xbox, PS3 or PC?

By the way thanks all for some great feedback.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiracefan View Post
    To Answer your questions, yes Microsoft produced the Acceleration expansion pack that adds Reno and several Mustangs including Ole Yeller, Miss A, Cloud Dancer to the default airplanes and also the Race course at Reno to fly, Mission packs include a Reno Tutorial and also practice races to fly. The other nice thing is there are some nice paint jobs out there for other add on P-51s, PM is available to download as is a very nicely modelled Pond...

So far there are no round engine racers that i have found short of the payware hughes H-1B
    I found Miss Merced and Riff raff, and Critical Mass on Simviation.com

We do racing in IEN's warbirds and have a small course racing league in Aces High.

Long races.

http://www.menacingferrets.com/races/

I like to race against human players and we actually had 70 competitors in a race back in 2005.

We're more about the gameplay and flight model accuracy than eye candy.
    Last edited by IcePaq; 03-23-2013 at 11:43 AM.

The Miss Merced looks ok but is a FS2004 model, the textures can be sorted to run in FSX. The Critical Mass model on the other hand is really not up to standard, the wings are not the right shape, the tail is wrong among others.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

[QUOTE=Big_Jim;109563]... I think around 2007 or so Microsoft had a pavillion at Reno where they had a dozen linked computer terminals and you could race against each other...QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Microsoft set up a a really big amd elaborate demo booth. Off to one side, they set up a long table with about 12 PCs connected in LAN and allowed anyone walking by to race. It was so funny to see these little kids yankin' and bankin' getting nowhere fast on Thursday. But, come Saturday, it was us "Ol' Farts" against the "Gamers" and the race was on!!!! I was able to finally snatch a victory roll over those "Little Sh**s" and got a free copy of the Sim-X Deluxe AND Sim-X Accel Exp Pack.

I'm a gamer by nature and have kept pretty much to road simulators (NC2K, GPL, rFactor, iRacing). Use to be Exec for the 87th Stray Dogs back in the day. Glad to see that there may still be some outfits considering bringing Reno back up on line. I'll be interested to see who posts after this.

Cheers. . .

I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). Not to mention there are a ton of user created race courses for the game and there once was a thriving Air Racing League for it I used to partake in when my schedule allowed. Unfortunately it's just not as popular as it once was.

But none the less, don't let that sway you. The game works fine with Windows 7 (despite what some might say) and you can get it for less then $15 nowadays. If you're not afraid of delving into the mods... the sky's the limit. Check out mission4today.com to get an idea. Or just do some youtube searches and you'll get tons of hits. In fact someone posted a link to video here a while back where the creator had dubbed in some of the PA from Reno on.
    Last edited by Reynard; 04-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). Not to mention there are a ton of user created race courses for the game and there once was a thriving Air Racing League for it I used to partake in when my schedule allowed. Unfortunately it's just not as popular as it once was.

But none the less, don't let that sway you. The game works fine with Windows 7 (despite what some might say) and you can get it for less then $15 nowadays. If you're not afraid of delving into the mods... the sky's the limit. Check out missionfortoday.com to get an idea. Or just do some youtube searches and you'll get tons of hits. In fact someone posted a link to video here a while back where the creator had dubbed in some of the PA from Reno on.
    Glad you de-lurked :-)

Thanks for the link I changed the "for" to a 4 and it worked.

http://www.mission4today.com/

IL-2 was fantastic, i had it and loved it, i used to love flying the Polikarpov's and early yaks, but i never raced in it.
    The other game from the same crowd was pacific fighters which was pretty neat too, i like that because you can fly as RNZAF crew in P-40's, TBF's, SBD's and F4U's
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Glad you de-lurked :-)

Thanks for the link I changed the "for" to a 4 and it worked.

http://www.mission4today.com/

Nice. Thank you... I was just coming back to fix it as it just dawned on me that I might have typed it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    . . . I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). . .
    Yeah, roger that!!!! Before I got caught up in MS's eye-candy simulator, I too, was flying IL-2, but didn't get to the next level due to time management contraints. I began my simming about 1985. Eventually I ended up with U.S. Navy Fighers, then the U.S. Marine Expansion Pack, then to EF-2000 Typhoon and culminating as a beta tester for Falcon4 (F4UT/SP Dev Grp & BMS Dev Grp) and eventually joining the 87th Stray Dogs flying a very highly modified version of Falcon4 as Wing Executive Officer (CN: Shadow). After more than 5 years of flying with the 87th, I turned in my wings and put on spurs and went to road racing and never looked back. That is until the 2007 NCAR and MS's damn Demo Tent thingy. I licked my chops in anticipation of online air racing, but it never seemed to materialize, at least to my expectation, so I went back to rFactor/iRacing....lol. I'm such a slut for sim-racing!
    Last edited by Ramjets; 04-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.