Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 71 to 73 of 73

Thread: Bear On The Move!

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boron,CA
    Posts
    319

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    My point was simply, you don't fire someone and then ask them to do you a favor.

    Kevin

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Kind of like a friend of mine that was given 6 trainees, told to train them in 6 months to replace him as they were moving his support job overseas, with the trainees when they returned to their "homeland"...
    I would have evil fun with that.

  3. #73

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Now THAT is funny! I don't think Lyle's truck is around anymore. Besides, using the Slack method of traveling the back roads in the middle of the night, the package would arrive in Texas sometime in July.
    Yeah, but we got to Van Nuys as the sun was coming up, and I had a kamakazi driving a bigger truck in the lead to take anyone out that came close to the Bearcat.
    John Slack

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area.
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    How does the Insurance Policy work on moving an airplane like this? Is it Liability only? Meaning that if the airplane hits another car, person, street pole due to an error of the truck driver...the Insurance will cover the damages to the object it hit and the Insurance will not pay for the damages to the airplane?

    I'm sure the truck driver has insurance with his truck and trailer. Does the Airplane owner take out an additional insurance policy for his plane, does the standard insurance policy that goes along with flying the plane cover ground transportation like this or does the airplane owner go with what the truck driver has?

    Will the damages to the Airplane be paid for by the Insurance company if it's the truck drivers fault?

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,877

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Yeah, but we got to Van Nuys as the sun was coming up, and I had a kamakazi driving a bigger truck in the lead to take anyone out that came close to the Bearcat.
    C'mon, John...this is me you're talking to here. Admit it. You were just too young to know what you couldn't do. So you went out and did it.

  6. #76

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    C'mon, John...this is me you're talking to here. Admit it. You were just too young to know what you couldn't do. So you went out and did it.
    Well mah boy, it went like this. We had blowed the engine up real good the year before in Mojave. Some slick engineer type used a slip on type hose fitting, and some screw type hose clamps. On a high pressure oil line, well she let go and quick as you can say hold on to yer ass all the oil ran out the engine. Mah dad wasn't able to get the gear down, and she coasted to a stop on two prop blades and the tailwheel.

    So thar she sat fer a year. No engine, no money, and believe it or not no crew full of guys willing to do all the work for free. So during the ensuing year lots of fellers with big ideas get jaw-jackin' to mah dad and some of these fellers, Ralph Payne, Randy Scoville, Wally McDonnell well they tell Lyle "just tow it on the highway from Mojave to Van Nuys". So eventually Lyle figures out nobody is going to camp out in Mojave and put the plane back together so he says. "Well guys how are WE going to do that?" Crickets mah boy, crickets. So April rolls by, then May rolls by then June. One day I graduated High school, Lyle says "congratulations, now go fetch man airplane from the desert. Here is the car keys to both El Caminos, modify the Chevy truck get all the permits, don't spend any money, and don't get caught or arrested. So mah best friend and the balance of the Spirit of 77 race crew Tim Reilly and I put about 5,000 miles on the 1973 El Camino, and about 2,000 miles on his new 1977 El Camino figuring out how to move the plane. One fine day at the end of summer we snuck out of Kern county on an unimproved back road. Avoided the Kern county sheriff car, and made it into Los Angeles county by the skin of our teeth.

    Well the answer is yep we were too young to know better. But we were following orders.
    John Slack

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,877

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Well mah boy, it went like this. We had blowed the engine up real good the year before in Mojave. Some slick engineer type used a slip on type hose fitting, and some screw type hose clamps. On a high pressure oil line, well she let go and quick as you can say hold on to yer ass all the oil ran out the engine. Mah dad wasn't able to get the gear down, and she coasted to a stop on two prop blades and the tailwheel.

    So thar she sat fer a year. No engine, no money, and believe it or not no crew full of guys willing to do all the work for free. So during the ensuing year lots of fellers with big ideas get jaw-jackin' to mah dad and some of these fellers, Ralph Payne, Randy Scoville, Wally McDonnell well they tell Lyle "just tow it on the highway from Mojave to Van Nuys". So eventually Lyle figures out nobody is going to camp out in Mojave and put the plane back together so he says. "Well guys how are WE going to do that?" Crickets mah boy, crickets. So April rolls by, then May rolls by then June. One day I graduated High school, Lyle says "congratulations, now go fetch man airplane from the desert. Here is the car keys to both El Caminos, modify the Chevy truck get all the permits, don't spend any money, and don't get caught or arrested. So mah best friend and the balance of the Spirit of 77 race crew Tim Reilly and I put about 5,000 miles on the 1973 El Camino, and about 2,000 miles on his new 1977 El Camino figuring out how to move the plane. One fine day at the end of summer we snuck out of Kern county on an unimproved back road. Avoided the Kern county sheriff car, and made it into Los Angeles county by the skin of our teeth.

    Well the answer is yep we were too young to know better. But we were following orders.
    Wow...um...how many "Mah boy's" was that? All I could see was reflective sunglasses over a booth at Skytrails "Mah boy, if flying it home had been in the cards we would've done that by now".

  8. #78

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Yes he weighed heavily in the "IDEA and ADVICE" part of the move.
    John Slack

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Please tell me there are photos of this aircraft movement endeavor out there somewhere for public consumption...

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,877

    Default Re: Bear On The Move!

    Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Yes he weighed heavily in the "IDEA and ADVICE" part of the move.
    Two things that were rarely lacking.

    And yet...two things that I would give my left nut for to have around these days.

    Miss that guy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •