Bear On The Move!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bear On The Move!

With the boil off I'm assuming flying it down to Texas would require a lot of stops am right?

Jarrod

Comment

I bet we have seen the last of the great Bear at Reno. My guess is Mr. Lewis will clean it up and donate it to the Smithsonian.

What paint job should it wear when she is retired to the big house?
      Last edited by planecrazy2; 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM.
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
        With the boil off I'm assuming flying it down to Texas would require a lot of stops am right?

Jarrod
        Actually the Boil-Off system has more capacity than fuel, So fill it at the fuel stops and you're good to go. Just need to have crews at each point to do so.
        What was planned for flight enroute to the 3k.

Comment

The Bearcat has rarely been my first choice (Mustangs and Sea Furies pull me away), but I've never failed to smile when it has run well. There's been a lot of hard work, pride, smarts, and big titanium cajones in and around that airplane and the hangar since the day Lyle dragged it out of the dirt. I wish everyone that's ever touched it all the best, and the future as it unfolds in coming months will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
            I bet we have seen the last of the great Bear at Reno. My guess is Mr. Lewis will clean it up and donate it to the Smithsonian.

Your guess would be incorrect. The Smithsonian "already has a racing Bearcat". Lyle tried to donate it to the Smithsonian before he sold it to Rod Lewis and they said they didn't want it because they already had Conquest I.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
              Actually the Boil-Off system has more capacity than fuel, So fill it at the fuel stops and you're good to go. Just need to have crews at each point to do so.
              Ah, thanks!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                Anyone know how long the Bear was based at Stead?
                I think it moved out of Van Nuys around 2000 or so. Lyle still had the hangar at Van Nuys until he passed away with his Pitts and a lot of 'stuff'.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post

Not the one it's wearing now, please....

Sentimentally, the copper and white verision...4 straight Reno win's, a new qualifying record, 3 course race records, and the 3km...is the one that represents the true glory days. But I know Lyle and the family liked the gold and white with the 3 blade version best....gold being an appropriate color.

Comment

I was looking at Rare Bear images on Google and came across Rare Bear one the cover of Air & Space Magazine Nov/Dec 2009. Here is the picture with Rare Bear on the cover: http://aviationphoto.org/shooting-ra...son-v-rininger

Just did a search using the words "Rare Bear" on the AirSpaceMag.com site and here is list of articles that come up: http://www.airspacemag.com/search/?keyword=rare+bear
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen rest your sphincters! The Bear will be at Reno for the 50th.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                        Exactly what I heard as well.

The 50th is going to be a big deal, so hold your cards close.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post

Gotta have something for #38 to beat.................

Comment

Gotta have something for #38 to beat.................

Comment

Chris,

May I ask? Where was the venue for the planned 3k attempt?
                              Last edited by boomtown; 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM. Reason: grammar
                              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
                                Chris,

May I ask? Where was the venue was the for the planned 3k attempt?
                                I cannot remember if the location was/is classified or not. Probably not the best kept secret in aviation but I'm not gonna say and ruin it for anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X