Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Getting things straight

Disclaimer;

I started this thread so fans can comment on the discussion in the Bear team thread. Wayne wisely asked us not to post in the other thread. If you’re like me, watching the stories un-fold has been an emotional experience. Frankly, you guys here are the only folks I know worth discussing my thoughts with. The best air race fans in the world read AAFO and I, for one, REALLY value the input here from team members and pilots. PLEASE keep this thread non-confrontational, and Wayne if you don’t want this thread on your site, for any reason, delete it with my blessing.

At a time when the future of the NCAR is in doubt, when past champions are being retired, when parts of others lay on the hanger floor under tarps, and still others being, or having been, converted back to stock, when “for sale” signs hang on their props, when money is tight…it would be hard to watch the teams implosion in a “good” year….but now? Witnessing this most provocative discussion, has left me upset, conflicted and sad to know RB may never race again. Reading the thread has been like watching a slow-motion train wreck. I almost wish I could un-read it.

On behalf of us fans, Mr. Lewis, thank you for your effort to promote air racing. Thank you for bringing these exclusive, foolishly expensive and wonderful airplanes to the show each year. I hope something good can rise from the ashes of the race 77 program.

To the crew and pilots, recent and past, Lyle, JP, Skip, Stu, Dave C, John S. et-al, you all loved that plane, you were all teased by her potential. Thank you for your knowledge, your time, for the “blood, sweat and tears” spent in the effort to race the Bear.

I sure do love that stupid plane.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: Getting things straight

Tell that to this guy, shaved his head to show loyalty.

Comment

Racers come and go all the time. We have been sad to see them come and go. Then another comes along that give people a big woody, and that becomes something to cheer for and come to the races to watch. Many times it's not just the airplane but the whole vibe the program gives off. The bear was such a program under Lyle. It was not a hobby to him; "it was a way of life that was ongoing 365 1/4 days a year". Someone very close to him told me that just the other day. I GET IT! I have raced something of some sort since I was 5. I AM a racer!

That being said as the assistant crew chief of another unlimited team that is the spirit we live by and very close to the same situation as Lyle. Tight budget, no sponsors, but damn all the naysayers we are out to win Reno. I think this is why our fan base continues to grow the way it has. Yes people have always liked how cool and one of a kind our airplane is, but now it has a new life and energy going into it. The best part about the 2013 team is it is filled with racers. Now don't read this the wrong way. Not here at all to bag on ANY other team/person for what they have done and/or will do. I am just saying to the fans have hope for the future we will do the best we can to make sure something exciting in the pits and around the course come September. Also never count ANYTHING out until you don't see it on the tarmac race week. One thing I have learned in almost a decade of Reno it's subject to change without notice.

Comment

Bill,

I'm sure there will be a over abundance of Precious Metal fever going around this year.

We'll come up with a 38 stencil for our rabid section head shavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          Bill,

I'm sure there will be a over abundance of Precious Metal fever going around this year.

We'll come up with a 38 stencil for our rabid section head shavers.

We already have a Section 3 guy on the crew FYI. Only guy NOT required to wear a PM shirt in the pit.

Comment

Only guy NOT required to wear a PM shirt in the pit.
            But does he sport that COOL hair?
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Family in-fighting is part and parcel with being on any team that does anything requiring a high level of skill, competence, and teamwork. Every motorsport race team that I have been a part of (which is only a couple of 'em) has had its fair share of arguing, cussing, and discussing over decisions and performance. Egoes and feelings are frequently both overinflated and stepped on in the process.

Although I thought reading the other thread was like witnessing a slow-motion trainwreck, and I felt somewhat sad to see a group airing their dirty laundry in such a public fashion, I don't think it is that unusual a discussion for a high performance sports team to have. Usually such discussions take place more privately, but often such discussions are also more rude and cruel.

Comment

Working...
              X