Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond Racer 1992

Default Re: Pond Racer 1992

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    Unlike the joke known as NASCAR, at least the Pond Racer looked like the plane it was supposed to be. A NASCAR Camry looks nothing like a real Camry. Heck, its not even powered by the same motor or drives the same wheels. That said, most of the Chevys Fords and Dodges suffer the same problem. The Pond Racer was designed as a race plane, and it fit in the Unlimited class. It was never designed as one thing and called something entirely different. The Pond Racer had every right to take the grid, unlike any NASCAR since no NASCAR has anything to do with the car its supposed to be.

You want to make NASCAR interesting, make it no contact (because if you consider yourself a pro, you shouldn't have to punt the guy in front of you. Vintage racers have been doing it for years. Its not hard.) , and the cars must be built from the showroom chassis and must power the same wheels, using the same motor as the street going version. Think World Touring Car Championships on an oval track. (Yawn, wake me up when its over. )

Will
    Will, the new Chevy SS racecar in NASCAR is built as RWD V8 for the showroom, they race them down this part of the world as the Holden Comadore in V8 supercars, albeit they look more like the production car and have 4 opening doors and trunk lid. but v8 supercars now is a common chassis and roll cage, just the differing body panels to make them look like the road car. If you can, id highly recommend going to Austin for the round there
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

But.. getting the topic back on track, here is a screenshot from FSX and a freeware Pond... must put it on the Acceleration Reno course..
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Unlike the joke known as NASCAR, at least the Pond Racer looked like the plane it was supposed to be. A NASCAR Camry looks nothing like a real Camry. Heck, its not even powered by the same motor or drives the same wheels. That said, most of the Chevys Fords and Dodges suffer the same problem. The Pond Racer was designed as a race plane, and it fit in the Unlimited class. It was never designed as one thing and called something entirely different. The Pond Racer had every right to take the grid, unlike any NASCAR since no NASCAR has anything to do with the car its supposed to be.

You want to make NASCAR interesting, make it no contact (because if you consider yourself a pro, you shouldn't have to punt the guy in front of you. Vintage racers have been doing it for years. Its not hard.) , and the cars must be built from the showroom chassis and must power the same wheels, using the same motor as the street going version. Think World Touring Car Championships on an oval track. (Yawn, wake me up when its over. )

Will

You might want to turn on a NASCAR race this year and see the new Gen 6 car. The cars look more like the street car this year.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/2013-car.html#

Last weekends Bristol race was one of the best ive seen in awhile and nobody punted anybody to win.

The class is UNLIMITED, not Warbirds only. It just so happens that Warbirds are the only game in town....for now.
    Red
    chanting...400+

Yes it is a bit sad that purpose built unlimited racers are no longer.

It is sorta a prototype that has to perform flawlessly when you try suntin like Pond Racer.

I have sketched hundreds of planes...only few were made into R/C models.

It would take a several hundred thousands of money and countless free hours to build one.

Caudron CR 714 was a pre war era racer.
    Last edited by First time Juke; 03-21-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    The class is UNLIMITED, not Warbirds only. It just so happens that Warbirds are the only game in town....for now.
    I agree. It will be interesting to see what happens when the couple of purpose built birds finally fly. Will they be as fast as predicted? Only time will tell.

As for NASCAR, you couldn't pay me to watch that crap. Its sloppy lousy racing and not worth my time. Heck, I even have free tickets when they run at Sears Point, I avoid the race like the plague. I don't like the crowds, the racing or the cars. Seriously, I'd rather see paint dry.

Will

I agree. It will be interesting to see what happens when the couple of purpose built birds finally fly. Will they be as fast as predicted? Only time will tell.

As for NASCAR, you couldn't pay me to watch that crap. Its sloppy lousy racing and not worth my time. Heck, I even have free tickets when they run at Sears Point, I avoid the race like the plague. I don't like the crowds, the racing or the cars. Seriously, I'd rather see paint dry.

Will
    I was a pretty dedicated NASCAR fan beginning in the 70s, but when Dale Sr died, my passion slowly eroded. The series is so commercialized and politically correct it makes me sick. How can anybody root for a Toyota Camry then hop into there personal Camry and see a connection LOL

I call is NACFAR - North American Caution Flag Auto Racing. The most I ever endure is the last 10-20 laps, and even then when I turn on the TV with 10 to go odds are there will be a hotdog wrapper caution flag.

Give me more Continental Tire Series, New USCR Series, ARCA, Aussie V8 Super Car Series and leave NACFAR for the couch potatoes and kids that haven't a clue what throttle steer feels like.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-21-2013 at 06:50 PM.