Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Racer 1992

Spanish Springs, NV The orginal home of the Reno air races 1964

Default Pond Racer 1992

I found my VHS tape from 1992. I forgot that I had shot some footage of the Pond racer arriving at the races. I thought I would share it here.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7iN...hJR-vg&index=1

Default Re: Pond Racer 1992

That brough a tear to my eye ! Thank you for sharing that video.
    Last edited by Ramjets; 03-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks again for that saw it when you first put it up. . Dont have a lot of video of Rick. Rick looks so young .

Wow...I never saw her in person. She's a lot smaller than I thought she would be ... was she kind of tiny for an Unlimited?

The Pond was tiny, she was designed for one thing only, Reno Gold! Unfortunately she was lost before her true potential was found
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Spanish Springs, NV The orginal home of the Reno air races 1964

I have often wondered what could have been if different engines were available. Heat was always an issue. You will notice in the video that the ground crew had attached blowers. As I recall they did that almost immediately after the props stopped. A few days later, during the form up for a race Rick had to Mayday with a fire. They were almost to Peavine when it happened. He did a great job getting here back on the ground.

A warbird guy said to me about this POS if he blew an engine on every flight he'd stop flying the airplane .

I will not claim to have been a close friend to Rick, but I did consider him an acquaintance, and his death impacted me deeply...just as others I have known in the sport have.

Every time the subject of the Pond Racer comes up the same argument comes about as to whether it was a flawed design, the engine issues, etc. I have my opinion, others have theirs. In the end I stick by what Rick told me over the winter of '92/93. He said that he was not comfortable flying the airplane anymore, but that he felt a lot of loyalty to Bob Pond...so the plan was to 'get through Reno' in '93 and walk away from it. Obviously, he never got that chance.

In the words of Bob Diemert...."It was a good idea, it just didn't work."

Just my opinion, but the Pond Racer at Reno is like Toyota in NASCAR - BLASPHEMY
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
    Just my opinion, but the Pond Racer at Reno is like Toyota in NASCAR - BLASPHEMY
    Russ
    Unlike the joke known as NASCAR, at least the Pond Racer looked like the plane it was supposed to be. A NASCAR Camry looks nothing like a real Camry. Heck, its not even powered by the same motor or drives the same wheels. That said, most of the Chevys Fords and Dodges suffer the same problem. The Pond Racer was designed as a race plane, and it fit in the Unlimited class. It was never designed as one thing and called something entirely different. The Pond Racer had every right to take the grid, unlike any NASCAR since no NASCAR has anything to do with the car its supposed to be.

You want to make NASCAR interesting, make it no contact (because if you consider yourself a pro, you shouldn't have to punt the guy in front of you. Vintage racers have been doing it for years. Its not hard.) , and the cars must be built from the showroom chassis and must power the same wheels, using the same motor as the street going version. Think World Touring Car Championships on an oval track. (Yawn, wake me up when its over. )

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 03-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.