Pond Racer 1992

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Racer 1992

I found my VHS tape from 1992. I forgot that I had shot some footage of the Pond racer arriving at the races. I thought I would share it here.

Thanks

Re: Pond Racer 1992

That brough a tear to my eye ! Thank you for sharing that video.
    Last edited by Ramjets; 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for that saw it when you first put it up. . Dont have a lot of video of Rick. Rick looks so young .

Comment

Wow...I never saw her in person. She's a lot smaller than I thought she would be ... was she kind of tiny for an Unlimited?

Comment

The Pond was tiny, she was designed for one thing only, Reno Gold! Unfortunately she was lost before her true potential was found
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I have often wondered what could have been if different engines were available. Heat was always an issue. You will notice in the video that the ground crew had attached blowers. As I recall they did that almost immediately after the props stopped. A few days later, during the form up for a race Rick had to Mayday with a fire. They were almost to Peavine when it happened. He did a great job getting here back on the ground.

Comment

A warbird guy said to me about this POS if he blew an engine on every flight he'd stop flying the airplane .

Comment

I will not claim to have been a close friend to Rick, but I did consider him an acquaintance, and his death impacted me deeply...just as others I have known in the sport have.

Every time the subject of the Pond Racer comes up the same argument comes about as to whether it was a flawed design, the engine issues, etc. I have my opinion, others have theirs. In the end I stick by what Rick told me over the winter of '92/93. He said that he was not comfortable flying the airplane anymore, but that he felt a lot of loyalty to Bob Pond...so the plan was to 'get through Reno' in '93 and walk away from it. Obviously, he never got that chance.

In the words of Bob Diemert...."It was a good idea, it just didn't work."

Comment

Just my opinion, but the Pond Racer at Reno is like Toyota in NASCAR - BLASPHEMY
                  Russ
                  Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
                    Just my opinion, but the Pond Racer at Reno is like Toyota in NASCAR - BLASPHEMY
                    Russ
                    Unlike the joke known as NASCAR, at least the Pond Racer looked like the plane it was supposed to be. A NASCAR Camry looks nothing like a real Camry. Heck, its not even powered by the same motor or drives the same wheels. That said, most of the Chevys Fords and Dodges suffer the same problem. The Pond Racer was designed as a race plane, and it fit in the Unlimited class. It was never designed as one thing and called something entirely different. The Pond Racer had every right to take the grid, unlike any NASCAR since no NASCAR has anything to do with the car its supposed to be.

You want to make NASCAR interesting, make it no contact (because if you consider yourself a pro, you shouldn't have to punt the guy in front of you. Vintage racers have been doing it for years. Its not hard.) , and the cars must be built from the showroom chassis and must power the same wheels, using the same motor as the street going version. Think World Touring Car Championships on an oval track. (Yawn, wake me up when its over. )

Will
                    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      Unlike the joke known as NASCAR, at least the Pond Racer looked like the plane it was supposed to be. A NASCAR Camry looks nothing like a real Camry. Heck, its not even powered by the same motor or drives the same wheels. That said, most of the Chevys Fords and Dodges suffer the same problem. The Pond Racer was designed as a race plane, and it fit in the Unlimited class. It was never designed as one thing and called something entirely different. The Pond Racer had every right to take the grid, unlike any NASCAR since no NASCAR has anything to do with the car its supposed to be.

You want to make NASCAR interesting, make it no contact (because if you consider yourself a pro, you shouldn't have to punt the guy in front of you. Vintage racers have been doing it for years. Its not hard.) , and the cars must be built from the showroom chassis and must power the same wheels, using the same motor as the street going version. Think World Touring Car Championships on an oval track. (Yawn, wake me up when its over. )

Will
                      Will, the new Chevy SS racecar in NASCAR is built as RWD V8 for the showroom, they race them down this part of the world as the Holden Comadore in V8 supercars, albeit they look more like the production car and have 4 opening doors and trunk lid. but v8 supercars now is a common chassis and roll cage, just the differing body panels to make them look like the road car. If you can, id highly recommend going to Austin for the round there

Comment

But.. getting the topic back on track, here is a screenshot from FSX and a freeware Pond... must put it on the Acceleration Reno course..

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will

You might want to turn on a NASCAR race this year and see the new Gen 6 car. The cars look more like the street car this year.

Last weekends Bristol race was one of the best ive seen in awhile and nobody punted anybody to win.

Comment

The class is UNLIMITED, not Warbirds only. It just so happens that Warbirds are the only game in town....for now.
                            Red
                            chanting...400+

Comment

Yes it is a bit sad that purpose built unlimited racers are no longer.

It is sorta a prototype that has to perform flawlessly when you try suntin like Pond Racer.

I have sketched hundreds of planes...only few were made into R/C models.

It would take a several hundred thousands of money and countless free hours to build one.

Caudron CR 714 was a pre war era racer.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by First time Juke; 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM.
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X