This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting the record straight

I stayed at a Best Western. Where is my scalpel? I guess I left it with my law books and Space Shuttle directions.

Sorry about this last statement, just being a smart a**.

John at the time of the flight your head was not in the game. You had family issues and not one person even thought that you should be there and you were asked to take care of home. Everyone understood. You came anyway because you felt slighted by the other pilot touching the Bear. She is Seductive.

You were given your pre-flight parameters and told all the changes and what you needed to do. You didn't accomplish it. Simple, it happens to everyone. The other Pilot did his job and made things happen. Your response was, "Its unsubstantiated, he must have been in a dive". No, nice job to the crew or engine builder or hats off to the Elder Statesman. All through the previous testing you said this is the best the Bear has ever been and now you claim that there were nothing but issues? Make up your mind.

Why all this?

With enough time anyone can find someone that says, " If the Glove don't Fit you must............
    Last edited by jetwaste; 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM. Reason: s
    JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by dabshr
      Watchout! There little fella!

But seriously, with all the know-how you guys claim to have, you should have a lot more trophies in the display case!
      As I asked you before, how many Gold Unlimited wins do you have?

You said you have none.

If you ever get one, come back and we'll talk.

Right now you're just wasting band width.

This thread is about "Setting the record straight", and that has nothing to do with you.
      Last edited by Dialtapper; 03-11-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I got two Unlimited Gold wins and one 2nd place. But 2nd place is like kissing your own sister. I still have a piece of 232 that we done blowed up in 2007.
        Last edited by jetwaste; 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM.
        JetWaste

Comment

Jeez, A know-it-all like you should know its "band width"
          Oh and 232 crew won the "dance competition" last year! That counts for something!
          Second is better than a DNF any day!
          Damn, you got me on spelling.

Ok, you came in second, that makes you the first loser.

Been second a couple of time with different airplanes. it sucked.

But hay! you came in second! Your now first in something, losing!

Please go away.

Comment

It appears that Doug is merely attempting to play the jester. I have yet to read anything that is not an attempt to sidetrack a legitimate discussion.

Comment

232 did beat the bear with the tail wheel hanging out, one, no two, wait three times!
              Doug, you're stepping over the lines I asked that no one go across. You were on one of Rod's teams and at your own admission, you have no knowledge of what went down on the Bear team.

Please back off and let those involved discuss this AMONG THEMSELVES as I've asked...

Please read your PM and heed it...
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

232 did beat the bear with the tail wheel hanging out, one, no two, wait three times!
                Nice, if I or anyone else did that at work there would be a LOI from the FAA and fines and a couple of other ugly things. Proud of your maintenance practices are you? We offered to help swing your gear but you said it does it all the time. What else does it do that it shouldn't. You still didnt get the Gold.
                Last edited by jetwaste; 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM.
                JetWaste

Comment

John-

It would be perfectly understandable for you to say the Greg Shaw regulator is "just bitchen", if, for example, we were talking about Stu Dawson’s Spirit of Texas. Comparing Stu’s racer to the Rare Bear is like comparing the pace car to the winner of the Daytona 500.

You wanted to smash Lyles record and be the first to exceed the 550mph barrier. The only hitch in the giddy-up was that you needed more power, or should I say a lot more power, to make you the big man on campus. You call the water injection system that would make this all possible, the on/off system, as if there is something wrong with on and off.

Dave’s regulator requires that you flip the switch on when you want to go fast and flip the switch off when you’re done going fast. Sounds simple doesn’t it? Both of you guys have a tough time remembering to turn it off, especially when you’re done going fast. Of course every time you leave the water on, you offer us a case of beer that somehow never makes it into our hands, and Stewart doesn’t even bother. Skip turned the switch on and off like a robot. Imagine that.

So if Dave’s regulator (which, by the way, is an R-4360 regulator) is such a bummer, then why does Dreadnaught, Furias, Check Mate and Voodoo use the same one.

Do you think those pilots were able to follow these simple instructions?
                  Last edited by toldjaso; 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the "Back on Subject", I did stay at a Best Western back in the 90s.
                    JetWaste

Comment

I know next to nothing, most of you will agree with that, but I do know one thing. It is truly a sad day that years of hard work and dedication have ended up like this. Every last one of you has worked way to hard and all deserve better. Sadly it is what it is at this point.

As for the editing of this thread, if ya really care about the sport just take the whole thread down and let the guys handle unplugged, "fans" probably do not need to see a team imploding. A much better option than having opinions edited at one man's discretion.
                      Last edited by Dave65882; 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

John,
                        When the bear is parked on the ramp, ADI fluid is 975 times heavier than air and fuel is 680 times. The trick is to make both of these simple liquids evaporate into a gas that weighs in with the air. Next trick is to mix all of the gases thoroughly together and divide the mix by eighteen. Even you know that air can only hold so much vapor, kind of like a swamp cooler or let’s say a cloud high in the sky. Keep adding ADI and suddenly the evaporation ceases and the rains begin. Get the picture? The coldest surface in the combustion chamber should be 460F. minimum, assuming you feel like beating Strega. Now, take a frying pan and heat it up to 460 and toss in a simple liquid of your choice and then tell me what happens. Get the picture?

Comment

John,
                          Skip Holm flew 3 test flights where the video camera, voice recording, and manual data taken via radio all matched, He wrote down the power settings to be ran, altitude, temperature thresholds etc. for the flight profile on his kneeboard that were given in the pre-flight briefing and followed them (He even put tape indicators on the instruments indicating min/max parameters). On the 4th flight the camera ceased to record mid-flight. There is no external indicator (power light, recording indicator) that would have given any indication that the camera had ceased to function. During the 4th flight the radio communication was consistent with the prior 3 as were the numbers recorded.

Why would you think that a professional test pilot would deviate from a predetermined flight profile? Do you think that somehow a little voice whispered in his ear letting him know that the camera was inoperative and he could proceed to ignore his instructions? Do you think that even if he knew the camera was inoperative that he would have proceeded to throw caution to the wind and gone off the reservation? Why not just make up some numbers, not worry about hurting anything and be a hero?

Skip is a professional, in the weekend that he flew the 4 test flights on Rare Bear there was never an ounce of doubt in anyone’s minds at any time that he was flying the flight profile that he was instructed to, at the power settings he was told to run, No more, No less.

Comment

John,

Correct me if I’m wrong, both you and Stew insisted that Dave increase airflow and he blew you off, while Dave insisted on fixing the air fuel ratio and you blew him off. Do you get the sneaking suspicion that he might know something the pilots don’t?

Comment

I have been asked by John Penney to remove his three posts in this thread. There is obviously much emotion here.. Digesting all of it, based on conversations with EVERYONE involved in this thread... From what I can see, an entire race program was thrown away due to one mistake. A mistake that, left unacknowledged by the pilot, threw doubt into the entire program, eventually leading to the disagreement between engineer and owner and the dissolution to the entire program.

If Rod Lewis listens to Stewart Dawson, who has been convinced by Mr. Penney that the airplane is set up wrong, and refuses to listen to Dave Cornell and take the program forward... we will never see what could have been done had the mistake simply been owned, allowing progress to move forward.

Instead, we see the meltdown we now have.

I have also been asked by Mr. Penney to remove his membership and login, so I guess further questions to him are going to be pointless. I suppose then, the next step would be to either close this thread or delete it. I think too much has been said to make it go away so, my current thought would be to leave it as is..
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If John's posts are going to be removed then I say delete it. Without them it just does not show both sides of the thread. On top of that it's just a sad thread to begin with. Nor do I want any fallout of this to prevent our team from posting any further updates on our program.

Comment

Working...
                                X