X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting the record straight

Originally posted by dabshr View Post
    the Questions for the BEAR crew I have are:
    you guys think (JP) did all this to torpedo the team?
    why would that happen?
    what was his motivation?
    what & why would he change his way of flying?
    why would he put himself & the aircraft in danger?

Simply, a mistake was made, we all make them but rather than fess up, denial and blame.

Comment

RE #3 Telemetry was not operational in May of 2012,
      On the 4th flight the weekend prior to the engine being damaged I did not complete deleting the prior video files resulting in the camera reaching memory limit and shutting off before flight completion.
      On the weekend that the engine was damaged the video cameras worked perfectly and allowed us to review and figure out what went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
        1, There is a difference of opinion of what "high" CHT is. What do you think max CHT is on a turbo compounded 3350?
        max cht = 500* c
        D Abshier

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          What in the Sam Hill is going on here? We usually only have 'heated discussions' like this on AAFO when I have been the instigator, and I'M the one who gets called all the nasty names and accused of things.

This has to be about the beer, right Chris?!?!?
          Ha! I like these guys!

Comment

I thought this was about Record straightening or something close to it? Dabshr, I know that somehow you feel that you had some skin in the game when May 2012 rolled around, I don’t see it. Need to vent at us PM who you will. I would like to stick with the facts. Penney chose to put his thoughts, 9 months later, out for all and did not even give us a call to tell us what is up. We have all worked thousands of hours to get her to races and keep Penney safe. You pointing out what you heard and feel and think, this does not change what has happened.

Dabshr, you are a good guy and you know what you know, but man you don’t know this or half a dozen bus throwing’s.
            JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by dabshr View Post
              the Questions for the BEAR crew I have are:
              you guys think (JP) did all this to torpedo the team?
              why would that happen?
              what was his motivation?
              what & why would he change his way of flying?
              why would he put himself & the aircraft in danger?
              Where you got these ideas I would like to know. I never heard one member on the crew even hint at any such ideas. If you got a question you could PM me or any of us. But whoever told you this is full of it. Let this be the Setting the Record Straight post please.
              JetWaste

Comment

In the spirit of setting the record straight, I want to make it perfectly clear what my role was in all Four of Skip Holm’s test flights. We had a digital video camera recording the instrument panel to keep a record of our special fuel/air ratio instrumentation because our telemetry antenna was in New Mexico and John’s radio transmission voice recorder was at home with him. Even before the power was brought up to the first test condition, Dave sequentially asked for the engine parameters, Skip called them out and I wrote them down in our flight log. There was no more than ten seconds between requests. The CHT callout at the conclusion of the last power setting was 486. The wings were straight level, the speed was 566 mph and The Bear never left the valley. You tell me John, how many seconds could that run have lasted? Do you remember how many minutes it took for the over temp lights to come on during your first flight?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  In the spirit of setting the record straight, I want to make it perfectly clear what my role was in all Four of Skip Holm’s test flights. We had a digital video camera recording the instrument panel to keep a record of our special fuel/air ratio instrumentation because our telemetry antenna was in New Mexico and John’s radio transmission voice recorder was at home with him. Even before the power was brought up to the first test condition, Dave sequentially asked for the engine parameters, Skip called them out and I wrote them down in our flight log. There was no more than ten seconds between requests. The CHT callout at the conclusion of the last power setting was 486. The wings were straight level, the speed was 566 mph and The Bear never left the valley. You tell me John, how many seconds could that run have lasted? Do you remember how many minutes it took for the over temp lights to come on during your first flight?
                  What the H#!!??

Now we have facts to support the other side of the story?!
                  Last edited by toldjaso; 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                    RE #3 Telemetry was not operational in May of 2012,
                    On the 4th flight the weekend prior to the engine being damaged I did not complete deleting the prior video files resulting in the camera reaching memory limit and shutting off before flight completion.
                    On the weekend that the engine was damaged the video cameras worked perfectly and allowed us to review and figure out what went wrong.
                    That last sentence is true, except you left out how the panel started shaking like a dog passing peach seeds as the induction temp went into the cellar.

Notable engine roughness, made it hard to read the instruments.
                    Last edited by toldjaso; 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Still quite a rookie to the whole Warbird/air race performer scene so I'm not trying to side here but...
                      This is a sport that needs all the help it can get. I've never missed a Reno event for almost 20years now(remember I said I am a rookie to some of you) and this was my first year participating. We come back year after year because its something we all incredibly enjoy. All of us has seen the event slow down over the years. We are all professionals and we all need to act like it. Even if you are the type to bitch and moan and the first to point fingers, this sport doesn't need that. If you are that bitter go sit in the stands for a year, enjoy the show and cool off. I know this family if full of really good people but it only takes a few to make the whole look bad. Bickering like a bunch of 8 year old girls is not the way to conduct ourselves. After reading through the previous posts I know there is a lot of passion and emotion involved here(I've know that for a long time) Nothing wrong with opinions but act like the adult you are and be the professional this sport expects of you. I'm not trying to burn anyone directly but after ready through this thread, the drama queens need to tone down. It's embarrassing to read.
                      Fast, cheap or reliable. Pick two because you can't have all three!

Comment

Originally posted by Ducpilot View Post
                        Still quite a rookie to the whole Warbird/air race performer scene so I'm not trying to side here but...
                        This is a sport that needs all the help it can get. I've never missed a Reno event for almost 20years now(remember I said I am a rookie to some of you) and this was my first year participating. We come back year after year because its something we all incredibly enjoy. All of us has seen the event slow down over the years. We are all professionals and we all need to act like it. Even if you are the type to bitch and moan and the first to point fingers, this sport doesn't need that. If you are that bitter go sit in the stands for a year, enjoy the show and cool off. I know this family if full of really good people but it only takes a few to make the whole look bad. Bickering like a bunch of 8 year old girls is not the way to conduct ourselves. After reading through the previous posts I know there is a lot of passion and emotion involved here(I've know that for a long time) Nothing wrong with opinions but act like the adult you are and be the professional this sport expects of you. I'm not trying to burn anyone directly but after ready through this thread, the drama queens need to tone down. It's embarrassing to read.
                        Who forced you to read it, then?

Comment

At this point in the game, the only "setting the record straight" I can do, is to state I just opened my last beer and I'm in no shape to drive and get more. Sad evening indeed.
                          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ducpilot View Post
                            Now, what'd I say about keeping outside opinions out of this?

This is their thread, the crew and pilot I mean... You are creating a stir with your opinion and I can see no benefit to it.. further comments by you in this thread will be deleted...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, the attacks have become quite vicious, particularly from you Chris Farinha and you Chris Seelye. Sorry to see that. If it gives you satisfaction, yes it hurts. However, you and some others are barking up the wrong tree here.

I was called recently by one of our former crew chiefs and one of the engine mechanics both who have years of experience with the “Bear” motors. Both, after having some very colorful things to say about someone who’s no longer on the team reaffirmed that fat ADI and cold induction temps do not warp exhaust valves or valve seats. And as noted on my previous, one mechanic told me that in fact no exhaust valves had been warped. Both also said that valve seats are warped and displaced by excessive cylinder head temps. So, without going into extensive technical detail regarding the specific heat of one hundredth of an ounce of ADI vs the specific heat of the mass of an exhaust valve, suffice it to say that the point is moot.

And, you guys aren’t paying attention to history. Ever since the Shaw regulator (which worked really bitchin’), was replaced with the P&W unit, the induction temp has plunged to the 40s every time we have turned it on, even if the temp would settle down after a minute or so on the desired race temp. If you look at the Induction temp profiles on every race start starting in 2007, including Stew’s Sunday race, we should have warped exhaust valves on every one of those races. And Lordy, the exhaust valves should have been pretzels after the 2004 “snowstorm” race when with the ADI valve full closed, the induction temp was 40 degrees for the whole race!

Did I make a mistake in not going to the crew chief and asking “OK, based on the setting on the previous flight and the fact the mixture has been set leaner which will raise the dry induction temp even further, where should it be set?” Instead I relied on 27 years of experience in flying the plane and dialed a conservative setting to keep from blowing the motor up. It started out cooler than I expected, and it would have been dialed in but the CHTs got to redline first. But again, the point is moot.
                              Last edited by "Bear" Driver; 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: Statement offended

Comment

5 Days ago Mr. Penney came and posted on this forum regarding events that occurred in May of 2012, Since the original post there has been many questions raised, a few exchanges that deviated from the original post and no answers from the originator. Why? (He posted as I was writing)

In 2011 when Mr. Dawson was racing the airplane there had been no issues with CHT all week even though the program was into it's 4th year with the "New cowling". On Fri 9/16 the CHT's were at 466f after 3 laps and were stable.

The only change between Sept of 2011 and 2012 was an updated/modified induction system to allow the engine to reach it's full potential. As in any and all carburated engines as the volume of incoming air is changed so to must the volume of fuel be adjusted to achieve optimal efficiency. This can effect many things including CHT's. This was being adjusted in a controlled manner up to the failure in May 2012

Due to an unintended chain of events during a May 2012 test flight the engine was damaged in such a fashion as to require the removal, repair, and replacement of all 18 cylinders.
                                There is no doubt as to when and how this happened.
                                The entire crew, the owner, and the pilot all missed an opportunity to set a record.
                                The entire crew lost a mound of time and the owner lost a mound of time and money.

And now we are being told that even though we were the ones in the trenches that we are wrong...........
                                Last edited by ChrisMX105; 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X