Race 33 Returns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 33 Returns!

I know I know, everybody here likes to talk Unlimiteds, but.. In my opinion some of the latest and greatest still happens in the sport class. That being said, read this:

http://sportclass.com/scheda_news.php?id=51

Will Whiteside flying Race 33! I have to admit I am a little jealous. Lynn Farnsworth raced his Super Legacy in one of my heat races last year because he finished slow in the previous gold heat. (ended up being a bad fuel pressure transducer, not a real problem) Anyway, seeing that airplane pass all of us by the guide pylon was pretty impressive. I bet he had 100 mph on all of us by pylon 4. You think you are going pretty fast, till you witness something like that. Looking forward to seeing Race 33 again!
    Unleashed Air Racing

Re: Race 33 Returns!

This is great news! +1 for Will and the Team, will be goo to see this fast Lancair turning some hot laps!

Comment

Thanks for the link +2

This class has seen some good racing over the years and will surely get more attention with Will jumping into the mix.

Being a young man I know he can still add more to his plate, I hope that the other rumors/speculation of Will buying Voodoo or some other unlimited have some merit.

Comment

Thanks! Two thumbs up!

Comment

That would be Greenameyer's plane right?

Comment

Correct!

Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

That's certainly great news.

I hope they have better luck with the engine than in recent years.

And I do like that Will W. will be flying (a) "Race 33" again.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                That's certainly great news.

I hope they have better luck with the engine than in recent years.

And I do like that Will W. will be flying (a) "Race 33" again.
                Has it been engine problems, or was it gearbox/prop stuff? I thought that it had to do when they put the new 4 blade prop with the shaft extension that was when they started having issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  Has it been engine problems, or was it gearbox/prop stuff? I thought that it had to do when they put the new 4 blade prop with the shaft extension that was when they started having issues.
                  That's my understanding, too, so I guess that I generalized too much. She was very fast before the gearbox work started.

I still hoping to see a strong turbo motor on Lee Behel's Legacy. Some day.

Comment

#33's problems were directly related to trying to use a geared engine. This year's engine will be a pumped up Continental TSIO-550. A secret blend of steriods made of special metals.

I expect it will astound all who see it race and cause palpatation of the heart of those she will challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

The first year with the geared setup they had attempted to make their own gear reduction setup that was bolted on the front of a 550. I don't remember if it had the four blade prop that year or not. The next year they had a GTSIO-540 with the four blade prop, and it suffered gearbox issues as well. I think Mike Dacey and Jeff LaVelle have proven how fast a good 550 setup can go and still live. Hopefully Will can get up to those speeds this year.

Comment

I thought Jeff LaVelle had a Lycoming engine in his plane.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                          Now that you mention it, I believe you are correct. Either way it's the same basic configuration of a non-geared, big turbo, three blade prop.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                            IIRC, LaVelle's airplane has the sole 580 cubic inch engine in the class.

Comment

If what I have been hearing tonight is correct we may see a new pilot with a 780 powered Lancair at PRS.

UPDATE: There is a possibility that there will be TWO 780 powered Lancairs at Reno...
                              Last edited by Race5; 03-05-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X