Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Its too Quiet Here - Lets Get Crank It Up

Originally posted by Reever View Post
    Anyone remember or have photos of the Mustang that was converted to a four place?
    Ah yes...the Bob Diemert (It was a good idea...it just didn't work) Mustang. Modified with a CF-100 canopy and a bench seat that the 3 passengers straddled like a 4-man bobsled.

IIRC that modification was the result of a forklift prong through the cockpit section during shipping to Canada-eh, and ol' Bob thought as long as he had to repair it, he might as well be able to take his family up too....given his 7-seat, Merlin-powered Fairy Firefly modification, at least he had experience in such things.

Fortunately the Mustang has been brought back to more respectable standards as Slender, Tender & Tall.

Note the first four photos on the link:
    CA-18 Mustang Survivor: A68-175, N51DT, Slender Tender Tall, Owner: Merlin Magic LLC - Status: Flying, Registry Past: N511D #2, N5789, CF-WWH, N64824, N20JS, N7496W. World War II, North American Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

I remember a couple years back Air Classics was running a series about crashes, each month covering some past warbird crash. One of them was a mustang that broke up in flight (T-storm) and killed a family, 5 or 6 on board!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Ah yes...the Bob Diemert (It was a good idea...it just didn't work) Mustang. Modified with a CF-100 canopy and a bench seat that the 3 passengers straddled like a 4-man bobsled.

IIRC that modification was the result of a forklift prong through the cockpit section during shipping to Canada-eh, and ol' Bob thought as long as he had to repair it, he might as well be able to take his family up too....given his 7-seat, Merlin-powered Fairy Firefly modification, at least he had experience in such things.

Fortunately the Mustang has been brought back to more respectable standards as Slender, Tender & Tall.

Note the first four photos on the link:
        http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...serial/A68-175
        Thanks Wayne, I have never seen a photo of the aircraft. For some reason I assumed or was told that the seating configuration was like an EA-6 Prowler. But that would have been a seriously funky fuselage modification.

Comment

Thanks Wayne
          where have I heard that before???
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I have never seen a photo of the aircraft. For some reason I assumed or was told that the seating configuration was like an EA-6 Prowler. But that would have been a seriously funky fuselage modification.
            Wayne, Brad....yeah....it's close.

Comment

A 4 place Mustang is not even close to the coolness of .........................THE DEFENDER!!!!

I need to dig the DVD out and watch it again...................

Comment

This one's for you, Chris:

Photo courtesy of Chris Fahey, model John Hinton. I believe the shirt was a Gerry Beck production from a few years ago. I saw a couple of them proudly worn at Oshkosh last year.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wayne, Brad....yeah....it's close.
                  Somehow.... I feel.... unclean....
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    where have I heard that before???
                    Just saying thank you for the info and the links to the photos.

Steve Carter

Comment

Just saying thank you for the info and the links to the photos.

Steve Carter
                      But what Wayne and I were joking about is that WAYNE wasn't the one who gave you the info and links. I did.

Comment

But what Wayne and I were joking about is that WAYNE wasn't the one who gave you the info and links. I did.
                        My bad. Thank you for the info and links.

Comment

Working...
                        X