Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Unlimited Gold Lineup

Didn't that large-nosed Yak get sold?

Would be nice if SOMEONE would let him drive Voodoo again...
    Whats the lottery up to this week?
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      Didn't that large-nosed Yak get sold?

Would be nice if SOMEONE would let him drive Voodoo again...
      Whats the lottery up to this week?
      Not just Large nose....very Large nose...ya follow?

Comment

Very interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
          Not just Large nose....very Large nose...ya follow?
          Crap, you're not talking about Mr. Awesome are ya!!!!???
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Mock not the legacy of the most fabulous paint job to ever bend the pylons!
            Oh God, here we go again...
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Sounds like I should make a low level pass through the airport at Santa Rosa. An overly nose endowed Yak would be an interesting sight. The possibility of two super Yaks this year is intriguing to say the least.

PM, those guys have my deepest respect. They seem to be the only team who are making some big changes this year. (If there is something going on at Santa Rosa that is under wraps, that is awesome also, but at this point just a possible rumor.) They have already proven they are both creative and smart. Low budget, but they make the most of it. The coolest part is that they are sharing what they are doing with the public. I'm curious what the new paint job will look like. The polished look they have is pretty hard to beat, and its the lightest you can get. Still with the profiled wings, paint is required. I think, assuming everything goes to plan, these guys will again turn a lot of heads. With Voodoo, and likely Strega out, the door is wide open

Rare Bear, well, time will tell.

232, I'll pick it for the win. Still, R3350s have had their issues in recent years. Still it it stays together, I'll say it will be very hard to beat.

The wild cards:

Czech mate, if its back together, and the wing is as fast as it might be, Watch out. No telling at this point.

Another large nosed Yak rumor, it could be interesting. Speculating much beyond that is a bit pointless however.

Dread, well, always a possibility.

I can't wait to see how things play out and who shows up. Perhaps PRS will reveal some answers.

Will

Comment

Cool thing is, it wouldn't matter if Air Biscuit was the fastest unlimited in the field, it'd still be RENO and we'd enjoy the shoulder to shoulder competition.... Remember folks, this is the only place in the entire world where warbirds compete in such a way..

As for whatever else happens (as long as it's positive) who ta hell cares.. I'll be there and so will you... Why? Because we love the sport, thick and thin, we're all air race fans and there's no other sport in the world like this one!

Go Air Biscuit!!!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Go Air Biscuit

Just happen to have a picture of what that would look like.

After taking the checkered flag Brian Sanders would land and taxi past Section 3 for a standing ovation.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I don't think I would wish that "Awesome" airframe on anyone!
                    Reminds me of the GeeBees, all engine with just enough airplane around it to give the impression of controllability.
                    But, what do I know?
                    Last edited by Leo; 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

How about a "Yak" with a PW 4360. Talk about a CG problem. When I was with Jimmy De Santo he flew the one & only Curtis P60E & that had a large nose. I had the stop watch in my hand when the tail came off.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        I don't think I would wish that "Awesome" airframe on anyone!
                        Reminds me of the GeeBees, all engine with just enough airplane around it to give the impression of controllability.
                        But, what do I know?
                        I wonder what you would have if the R3350 were replaced with a R2800? C.M is fast with the 2800 on the stock wing, it sounds like the new tail on Mr.A solved many issues, however if CM were having wing issues with the 2800, it would also likely apply to Mr.A no doubt, perhaps more since the 3350 has both more power and more weight.

Just knowing the wing issue with CM, I can't see anyone taking Mr.A racing without totally redoing the wings, and doing a huge amount of testing before turning it loose on the race course. I'm pretty sure no one wants to risk another incident like G.G. Even if its now more stable to fly with the T33 tail, the wings are still and issue.

Will

Comment

Will,

I completely agree. First step with Mr. A would be the down-size, and second, the wings. A big project for sure, but I'm confident, a winning combo.

JT

Comment

I think the Yak 11 platform might be a very good racer with the right mods. The one thing that still makes me a little iffy about them is the wake turbulence issues. They will still be the smallest planes on the course. I seem to remember CM getting tossed pretty well a few years ago. I was watching a clip from last year where it looks like PM tossed the Buick pretty seriously at one point. Substitute the Buick for CM or another Yak and that could get really interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to see more Yaks racing, the more the merrier.

I have to guess a lot has been learned about racing a Yak since Mr A was last seen rounding the pylons. I can't see Mr A making a comeback this year and being really ready to race. I guess if the possible new owner had very very deep pockets, anything is possible, but I don't see it happening. If someone manages to pull it off, cool.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              Mock not the legacy of the most fabulous paint job to ever bend the pylons!
                              This ones for you Big, My wife works at Scolari's, and when the Lemmon Valley Scolari's closed, she bagged me this 3' x 4' vinyl tapestry along with a few other air race goodies from the store. I'll send you a copy if you want...........
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by t-dub; 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM.
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                                This ones for you Big, My wife works at Scolari's, and when the Lemmon Valley Scolari's closed, she bagged me this 3' x 4' vinyl tapestry along with a few other air race goodies from the store. I'll send you a copy if you want...........
                                And THAT is a real man's paint job right there!

Comment

Working...
                                X