A...um...proposal...modify a GIGANTIC racer :-P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A...um...proposal...modify a GIGANTIC racer :-P

Just a thought...if there were more than 6 flying F7F Tigercat's in the world, who'd like to make an all-out racer of one? ME :-D (weight loss program, overall smoothing of body skins, re-profiled wings & horizontal stabilizers, clipped wings, new tips based off of the L-39 "American Spirit" and the tips proposed for "Precious Metal"...wing root extensions, cleaned-up tail w/ no arrestor hook, trimmed-down race canopy, removed horizontal stabilizer end caps, and hot-rodded R-2800's w/ -44 AJ Savage nose cases and carbon-fiber Blackburn Beverly-style spinners leaving 1 1/2 inch annular gaps...and boil-off oil cooling for both engines) Original templates property of Taichi at http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.com/.

Would it work??? Probably not. But hey...I can dream
    Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 02-08-2013, 01:51 AM. Reason: copyright issues
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: A...um...proposal...modify a GIGANTIC racer :-P

I think it would be pretty cool. I don't know that it would be a Gold contender, but it would still be unique and very cool looking.

Will

Comment

Sorry, I had to delete the attachment.. It has a copyright and we do not have permission to publish it... Remember, unless you own it, or have permission (demonstrable to me) to display it, you have to link to it.. Not embed it or upload it..
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks, Wayne f/reminding the userbase 'bout all-important copyright conformance, etc., which still v-much applies in the ever-evolving new digital age. It's a legal matter & as well as one of respecting people's creative work & property, while positively-informing & educating enthusiastic newcomers who are eager to share images & sounds that excite & inspire their imagination. Everyone, creative artists & the appreciative public alike, all benefit from keeping copyright issues getting off-track, whenever they pop-up, especially in a forum environment.

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Oh $hit... I really didn't think anyone could see those edit notices..... But... I have had complaints in the past when stuff with a WAP copyright was used on the site.. If you're saying there's a bunch more, then I might be in even hotter water...

Oh well.. I'm going to turn 62 on my next birthday, you'd think, there'd come a day in a man's life, when he could quit worrying about small s hit...

Sorry if my edit comment offended anyone..
          Thom has permission to use those images. Tachi made us custom templates just for the contest. In fact he has always been very good with any requests that I have sent him. I use them all the time to do "what if" mods for PM, and some "like that" mods as well as most of you will see come September.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
            Thom has permission to use those images. Tachi made us custom templates just for the contest. In fact he has always been very good with any requests that I have sent him. I use them all the time to do "what if" mods for PM, and some "like that" mods as well as most of you will see come September.
            Oh, so you decided to go with the TF-51 canopy?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Big_Jim; 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

That thing would look like crap with that canopy. The late Bruce Boland did a study on using a F7F for an air racer. I used it for a basis for a what if model. The study has a graph that compares it to the RB51. I'l see if I can find it.

Comment

With apologies to my friend Ran Slaten for his photos......

I give you, The Phantom.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  With apologies to my friend Ran Slaten for his photos......

I give you, The Phantom.
                  Now that would be a sight to see. Heck, just a P61 in the air would be epic. Still, the Tigercat racer has lots of interesting possibilities.

Will

Comment

Realistically, with the right set of 2800's, Spray bar, oil cooler work, and spinners, I believe the Tigercat could do 430-440's on the current course. And look perfectly stock in the off-season.

Joseph

Comment

I didn't want to link the pic, but check this thread out http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...hp?f=3&t=48608 The first tigercat pic is a bit interesting, its got spinners on the props at the very least. Further down the page, there are a couple more.

I think it would be cool to mod one out and paint it up as an air tanker. The red and white would stand out and sort of pay tribute to many of the Tigercats that served as air tankers.

Will

Comment

Apology...

Damn, I can't keep myself out of trouble even when I do my best to do so.... I made an edit to a post with, what I thought, was a private "reason for edit" message to myself ... The recently updated software has yet to be completely tamed.. I'm not going to repeat the edit notice in my apology because that would simply perpetuate it.. It was a private thought, meant to be private and that it was read by anyone is my mistake and for that I apologize..

I truly did not know my edit messages could be read by anyone.. I'll try to keep my "trap" shut in the future..

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Oh, so you decided to go with the TF-51 canopy?
                          Another warbird saved!

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                            That thing would look like crap with that canopy. The late Bruce Boland did a study on using a F7F for an air racer. I used it for a basis for a what if model. The study has a graph that compares it to the RB51. I'l see if I can find it.
                            I wouldn't do that to your belly scoop and wing fairings. It will have a two place canopy, but nothing like that! Here in case you have not seen it with your scoopal and wingy dingys on it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wild Bill, I knew you were not going to put a TF canopy on the airplane. I saw the drawings when you first posted them. Glad that you guys got the fairings,they should look great, and hopefully make the airplane faster. Can't wait to see the real thing finished. Best of luck, Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X