232 w/ a "Different" Prop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 w/ a "Different" Prop...

I've seen a few tongue-in-cheek suggestions about putting Rare Bear's old 3-blade Orion prop on the end of 232 since both are owned by the same guy...At first glance, it seems silly...but what if it actually made sense?

The reports were that it increased straight-line speed a bit (and possibly a hair on the course) but created too much instability and vibration on Rare Bear's airframe on the course. 232's airframe is at least 2,000...or maybe 3,000...lbs heavier than Rare Bear's, and overall length and wingspan are much greater as well.

Would the greater weight and larger dimensions of 232 cancel out (or at least improve) the gyroscopic and vibrational effects of the big Orion prop?

Just a thought...
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: 232 w/ a "Different" Prop...

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    I've seen a few tongue-in-cheek suggestions about putting Rare Bear's old 3-blade Orion prop on the end of 232 since both are owned by the same guy...At first glance, it seems silly...but what if it actually made sense?

The reports were that it increased straight-line speed a bit (and possibly a hair on the course) but created too much instability and vibration on Rare Bear's airframe on the course. 232's airframe is at least 2,000...or maybe 3,000...lbs heavier than Rare Bear's, and overall length and wingspan are much greater as well.

Would the greater weight and larger dimensions of 232 cancel out (or at least improve) the gyroscopic and vibrational effects of the big Orion prop?

Just a thought...
    I'm sorry....please take my comment for the light-hearted intent it's given in....but do you think you're the first one to have those thoughts? Twenty years ago I was pooling my pennies to buy Furias once Lloyd pushed her out to pasture in 1990 with that same thought.

Comment

I didn't think I was the first...just making sure I wasn't "that guy" with a stupid idea
      -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

The 3-blade prop should be in the National Aviation Heritage Invitational competition. Even if it were just there bolted to a stand without an airframe or engine, it would have a shot at winning the People's Choice Award at Reno

Comment

Nah, just let Alby make a ceiling fan out of it for the cave. 'Bout all it's good for. Or send it to TX and make a power generating wind turbine out of it.

Comment

It was packed up and shipped to Texas in 2010, I believe the intent was to hang it from a wall somewhere.
            I am not sure of the diameter but I wonder if it would allow enough clearance on 232..................

Comment

With the new course in place there is a almost constant turn and higher g-loads. That being said the first team to embrace that will be the next dominate team at Reno. All the wing clippings, camber adjustments, and other related mods for more straightaway speed are moot now.It's all going to be about maintaining energy around a 4-6 g turn. And s#$t tons of HP to keep it there. That never changes. Once you scrub speed you have to have the HP to get back the MPH. I think the key is going to be not scrubbing the energy on this new course in a nut shell. Railing pylons 2&5 and not mushing through them. The 3 blade won't help that at all... on any airplane.
              Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                With the new course in place there is a almost constant turn and higher g-loads. That being said the first team to embrace that will be the next dominate team at Reno. All the wing clippings, camber adjustments, and other related mods for more straightaway speed are moot now.It's all going to be about maintaining energy around a 4-6 g turn. And s#$t tons of HP to keep it there. That never changes. Once you scrub speed you have to have the HP to get back the MPH. I think the key is going to be not scrubbing the energy on this new course in a nut shell. Railing pylons 2&5 and not mushing through them. The 3 blade won't help that at all... on any airplane.
                Is this a hint as too what you guys are doing in Florida? The plane is either being or currently torn apart. You guys made huge steps forward last year, I can only guess what you are doing for this year.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  3<4<6 ???

Comment

Re: 232 w/ a &quot;Different&quot; Prop...

Just a couple of (really poorly photoshopped) looks at the "what-if"
                    Last edited by Tigercat24; 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM.
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Come to the f1 pit and learn all you want, think about it we are getting 260 mph out of 100 hp wtf could we do with 1000 zing bitches

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                        Come to the f1 pit and learn all you want, think about it we are getting 260 mph out of 100 hp wtf could we do with 1000 zing bitches
                        What could you do?

I see an f-1 airframe setting on it's nose with what an engine that would put out 1000hp would weigh.

So I don't even see it taxing.

Comment

You mean I can't just hang a Merlin on the front of the f1 , wow who would have thought

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                            You mean I can't just hang a Merlin on the front of the f1 , wow who would have thought
                            Yes, a Merlin is not a mighty C-150 motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X