Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kermit Weeks acquires Hughes S-43 -- is H1 next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kermit Weeks acquires Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
    So when the decisions was made to get the plane into a museum the crew maintaining the plane or Hughes were contacted by someone in Japan. Their response when looking into how to get it there was "fly it". They were very confident it would make it their just fine.
    Would have to check dates but if memory serves me correctly, Mr. Hughes had passed prior to the decision to put it in the dome in LB..

Also, important to remember... When the airplane was disassembled to make the move up here, they guys taking it apart were keenly aware that it would not fly again. What I'm saying is, I've been told by those who were in charge of her back then that too much had been done during the disassembly that would render her far too out of flying status to ever get back there again.

RE: Dialtapper's post... I've never figured out how a struggling freight airline could afford what they've done out there. It seems Evergreen are just about always on the backside of some huge loan needed to continue operation.. Where Del Smith came up with the millions to do what has been done, far more than was talked about in the beginning..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Amazing video and gorgeous airplane, thanks for posting.

..and just for gee-whizzes, my 1/24 scale P-51 wingspan is approx 18 1/2", a model of HK1 in the same scale would have a wingspan of 160" (13.3')...useless but jaw dropping comparison
      Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

This picture was taken back in the 40's, Not many people know this, but I was actually the check pilot for Howard..........
        Attached Files

Comment

...continuing this cool "off-topic" topic...

...HK-1/H-4 at Long Beach

(1-2) 31 Oct 1980...the morning after the move out of the Long Beach waterfront hangar...

(3-7) after Feb 1982...inside the Dome next to the Queen Mary...
          Attached Files

Comment

I was thinking of the cost to restore the plane that Kermit just got, the Sikorsky S-43, not the Spruce Goose.

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
            I seem to recall seeing some slight wrinkles in the wing structure just behind a coupe of the engine nacelles, and that was 20-30 years ago. I would add one, or maybe even two zeroes to the "get it flyable" estimate. How much would it cost to check/freshen eight 4360s? There goes your budget right there.

Comment

sledge39...
              Thanks for posting your great shots. Our ship was home ported just across the way from the Hughes hanger. Periodically I'd drive by on my way back home. Many of those times, the 'back' doors were open. Just wish I had made an effort to stop and look around back then.

Bob
              Last edited by Tibia; 01-24-2013, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                ...continuing this cool "off-topic" topic...

...HK-1/H-4 at Long Beach

(1-2) 31 Oct 1980...the morning after the move out of the Long Beach waterfront hangar...

(3-7) after Feb 1982...inside the Dome next to the Queen Mary...
                Those are awesome photos! That is one of the reasons I am an AAFO'er. Where else would I get to see shots like that? Those really bring back my childhood memories of the first time I saw the Spruce Goose in the dome. My dad took me to Cali for the first time in my life and we stayed on the Queen Mary for several days. I remember wanting to go inside the dome every day, but Dad had other things on the schedule (Disneyland, MarineLand (I think it was called back then), Knotts, etc). All of this Goose talk is probably going to lead to a trip to Oregon this year!
                Tommy

Comment

As long as you are travelling so far, rent a car and see some of the other collections in Oregon; and then head North to Olympia, WA and then on to Seattle's MOF, and Paine Field with John Sessions' collection, Paul Allen's museum, the Boeing sit, the 262 project, etc, etc.We have a lot to brag about on this side of the USA, just sayin'.

Comment

Why did the Spruce Goose have only one flight at 70 feet for 1 mile then put away forever? Was it unable to fly? Anyone know of websites that people discuss the Spruce Goose?

Looking into it right now and found this:

"Why did Hughes never fly the plane again? Some said he was afraid to, but his closest associates denied it. The more likely explanation is that there was no reason to continue. The war was long over. The need for big seaplanes had evaporated. Wood construction was obviously a dead end. Even before the flight Hughes admitted that the plane was too large to be economical. Claiming there were still research lessons to be learned, he stubbornly kept the work going until around 1952. But he was distracted by other ventures and increasingly reclusive. Eventually everyone moved on to other things. After Hughes's death in 1976, the plane was put on exhibit and now may be seen at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon."

"Development of the Spruce Goose cost a phenomenal $23 million and took so long that the war had ended by the time of its completion in 1946. The aircraft had many detractors, and Congress demanded that Hughes prove the plane airworthy. On November 2, 1947, Hughes obliged, taking the H-4 prototype out into Long Beach Harbor, CA for an unannounced flight test. Thousands of onlookers had come to watch the aircraft taxi on the water and were surprised when Hughes lifted his wooden behemoth 70 feet above the water and flew for a mile before landing.

Despite its successful maiden flight, the Spruce Goose never went into production, primarily because critics alleged that its wooden framework was insufficient to support its weight during long flights. Nevertheless, Howard Hughes, who became increasingly eccentric and withdrawn after 1950, refused to neglect what he saw as his greatest achievement in the aviation field. From 1947 until his death in 1976, he kept the Spruce Goose prototype ready for flight in an enormous, climate-controlled hangar at a cost of $1 million per year. Today, the Spruce Goose is housed at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon."

The Spruce Goose—at one time the largest aircraft ever built—is piloted by designer Howard Hughes on its first and only flight.
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I once read that H Huges said the Hercules was very unstable. I really qestion this though. Everytime I see the film of the first and only flight, it looks to be very stable. His landing was a greaser, so to speak.......I haven't been able to see any visual clues concerning stability. Looks solid as a rock.
                      Brian

Comment

Here is a youtube video of its first flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBHtTbqkMI

Comment

Both topics covered in this thread are very interesting.. you guys mind if I separate out the Goose stuff to a different thread so we can attempt to get back on topic?
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

While the airplane is 'flying', it's also essentially flying in the ground effect, where the downwash from the wing is creating it's own lift bubble on top of the water.....the reason why airplanes 'float' on landing when you transition. The airplane never got out of the ground effect on it's sole flight, so it's kind of unfair to assess the true handling characteristics of the H-1. It would be like driving a semi in a parking lot and making a generalization about how it drove on the road or freeway.

Comment

Half my time is in that.....

Red
                              chanting...400+

Comment

Howards test flight, staying in ground effect for 1 mile...was this a standard procedure for testing an aircraft this size on its first flight?

From the History.com article:

"...critics alleged that its wooden framework was insufficient to support its weight during long flights."

What do todays computer models show the airworthiness of the Spruce Goose? Was it capable of flying, with the load designed for and the distance designed for?

Must commend Howard Hughes for his efforts in building the Spruce Goose. What a "beast" of an airplane.

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                                While the airplane is 'flying', it's also essentially flying in the ground effect, where the downwash from the wing is creating it's own lift bubble on top of the water.....the reason why airplanes 'float' on landing when you transition. The airplane never got out of the ground effect on it's sole flight, so it's kind of unfair to assess the true handling characteristics of the H-1. It would be like driving a semi in a parking lot and making a generalization about how it drove on the road or freeway.
                                Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X