Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kermit Weeks acquires Hughes S-43 -- is H1 next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kermit Weeks acquires Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post

From the History.com article:

"...critics alleged that its wooden framework was insufficient to support its weight during long flights."
    WTF?

So the wooden framework would get tired during long flights

Comment

Split this thread or retitle it?

Well, I went and was going to split this thread into two... One with original title, the other, about the Spruce Goose... man, the subject is so intertwined within the first few posts, I'm not sure where to begin that sort of "edit thread" action....

That said, there's a ton of information held in my head from my years with the program.. (early Oregon, pre museum building days). I got to meet several of the original crew, including the "co pilot" who was not really a pilot at all, he was a lead hydraulic engineer on the project and Hughes told him to occupy the seat and monitor the systems from there..

How bout a re title of the thread?? Hughes Sikorsky S-4, H1 ?

I'm not really all that concerned with topic drift to but I know it irritates the person who originated the topic sometimes..

Thoughts??
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Split this thread or retitle it?

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        How bout a re title of the thread?? Hughes Sikorsky S-4, H1 ?

I'm not really all that concerned with topic drift to but I know it irritates the person who originated the topic sometimes..
        Thoughts??
        I originated post... how bout, "Weeks acquires Hughes S-43, is H1 next?"

...but really, anything you want to do is okay with me.

StarFlight

Comment

Re: Split this thread or retitle it?

Originally posted by StarFlight View Post
          I originated post... how bout, "Weeks acquires Hughes S-43, is H1 next?"

...but really, anything you want to do is okay with me.

StarFlight
          Excellent choice! Done...

I'm told by a very good source, that Hughes once said to long time confidant, Jack Real, during the "sequestered" Long Beach era, that he wanted to stick 8 engines from Lockheed C130's on her and fly her again... Granted, he was pretty sick by then, but I don't think he ever gave up on her.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Kermit Weeks acquires Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            Howards test flight, staying in ground effect for 1 mile...was this a standard procedure for testing an aircraft this size on its first flight?

From the History.com article:

"...critics alleged that its wooden framework was insufficient to support its weight during long flights."

What do todays computer models show the airworthiness of the Spruce Goose? Was it capable of flying, with the load designed for and the distance designed for?

Must commend Howard Hughes for his efforts in building the Spruce Goose. What a "beast" of an airplane.
            IIRC, the original intent was not to fly the Spruce Goose on that day. It was slated to be taxi tests only and I'm guessing it was too much to resist and HH got her in the air. This is what I recall reading, but don't remember where or when.

That would really be cool in someone did an FEA on the Goose. Or any WWII era plane for that matter.

Thanks for letting this thead live as is. Bringing Kermit back to topic, I wonder if he has ever expressed any thoughts on the Spruce Goose or been asked? Or his thoughts on HH? Inquiring minds....
            This is great stuff!

Comment

Re: Kermit Weeks acquires Hughes S-43 -- is H1 next?

Don't forget Kermit has a Sunderland Flying boat too. I've seen pics of a PBY parked on the ramp at his place too. Is it flyable?
              Brian

Comment

I've been to the McMinnvile museaum a couple times and I'm always amaized every time I see the HK-1! When I got married to my ex, she wanted to go to disneyland for our honeymoon. After Disney we went to Long Beach to see the HK-1. What an experiance! The movie "The Aviator" although not technically accurate in some parts, does a decent job of the overall story of how the HK-1 came about. Howard Hughs and ship builder Henry Kaiser did form a partnership to build the HK-1 Hercules because of all the U-boat attacks that were happening to our supply ships. Aluminum was in short supply so they built it out of wood instead. When it became apparent that America would win the war, Henry Kaiser lost interest in the project. Hughes spent his own money to complete the HK-1. It was very ambitious, and it was the largest airplane ever built, at the time. He wanted to complete it. I persinally believe he had planned to fly it that day. I really can't see it being an accident. I hope to make it up there again soon!!

Race 29
                Attached Files
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
                  I personally believe he had planned to fly it that day. I really can't see it being an accident. I hope to make it up there again soon!!
                  Indeed, he did intend to fly her. He briefed his "co-pilot" Dave Grant, that he was going to call for, I believe I remember, flaps 30.. Right seater Grant, who was one of the hydraulic guys, knew that the flap control system was disconnected, blocked... I don't remember exactly what he told me but he said that because they had thought that there would be no flight, they had left the flaps inop. Luckily, he caught the eye of the other hydraulic guy, made a face, other guy got the message and they got the flap system operative...

Shortly after they were back on the water.. I think the words Hughes said to him... this is from memory, I probably have notes somewhere... "she sure ballooned when you hit the flaps".... yea... Right seater said Hughes would have known that she'd fly with that flap setting. The only thing he said was different than what history recorded was that the airplane became airborne several knots prior to when expected. History recorded the flight airborne at that supposed setting, not what actually was the case... Right seater told me, no question, when Hughes briefed him, without saying it, he was talking about flying. They only had a permit to taxi test, so an intentional flight would have busted their permit... accidental? That's what they told those in charge... but..

OK.. that's from the mouth of the guy beside Hughes on the flight, as told to me at the 50th anniversary of the flight...

In researching to try to remember crew names, I just found out that the last crewman from the flight died last year... I'll always remember meeting those who attended the reunion on the 50th!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

For what it is worth, (I know everyone has a story of knowing Mr. Hughes.. lol) My grandfather Joe Wolfe Jr. was very close friends with Mr. Hughes (Documented fact). He and is sister Dorris were at the flight of the H1 as special guests of MR. Hughes. According to my aunt Dorris, Mr. Hughes, grabbed my grandfather on the way to the Spruce Goose and asked him to join him for the "test run".

My grandfathers name is not in any of the official records of that day. But my aunt has documents from my grandfather of his being in the Goose during the flight. I will do my best to get copies or scans and post em.

I have never met this aunt, (long story of sibling rivalry) but I will give her a call and request any info she can give me.

Joe.

Comment

People who have never seen the plane in person have no appreciation for how big it truly is. Pictures simply do not do it justice.
                      Although I have not been to the Evergreen museum, I went to the Long Beach dome on several occasions. The entrance of the dome was designed so that you could not see the aircraft until you were completely inside, so you really could see nothing until the whole plane was visible to you.
                      No matter how many times I went, it always took my breath away!

Comment

They have a B-17 sitting behind the Spruce Goose. As I remember, it appeared the wingspan on the 17 was about the wingspan of the horizontal on the Spruce Goose.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                          They have a B-17 sitting behind the Spruce Goose. As I remember, it appeared the wingspan on the 17 was about the wingspan of the horizontal on the Spruce Goose.
                          Brian
                          I was standing right in front of the B17 when I shot this. There is a DC3 under the left wing.

Will

Comment

...a few more from Long Beach...
                            Attached Files

Comment

... size comparison of HK-1/H-4 and DC-3 ...

Last edited by sledge39; 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                                ... size comparison of HK-1/H-4 and DC-3 ...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Comparison.JPG
                                Or...

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X