82 pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82 pics

Pete Regina's B model was a big deal at the time. I always like the B-C and at the time the only "razorback" flying regularly was the POF A model (which had been there the year before).
    ASIR Pete started out with a B tail and center section, then used collected parts and D parts to build it up pretty much from scratch (kinda like Moon Spillers A model). Quite a project for the time. The "finds" we enjoy today just were not around in the late 70's/early 80's and the megabuck rebuilds were not happening yet.
    There are a fair amount of D model details there but boy was it cool to see!
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks Big Jim.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        Thanks, Big Jim.......your posts are always informative and I love the background on the planes and pilots: have you ever thought of writing a book? And on the subject of Roto-Finish: '72 as my first year and Balz won the biggie in that bird. But, what was the deal in '73? I thought John Wright bought it to race. What I remember from all those years back was I only saw it in the "bear-lair" at the east end of the field. I didn't get to see it run. And then 74 it was the Red Baron, but still Merlin-powered with Mac up.

Please keep the info comin'; this junkie needs a fix during this down time Can't wait for Sept.
        Gaaah....don't say that dreaded B-word (Book).

I have had a biography on Gary Levitz and a book on the Mojave races in the work for YEARS. 90% finished....90% to go. And for a while, Randy Goss and I were planning "Brad and Randy's Kick-Ass Encyclopedia of Air Racing: A two-volume set"....but Randy's stroke kind of put the kaibosh on that.

The year that John Wright ran the Roto-Finish, he was literally racing it 'for' Sliker. Sliker had bought it from Gunther Balz, but a) didn't really like flying it, and b) was concentrating on his own racing Bearcat at that time...so John Wright asked if he could run it for Sliker at Reno. Part of the deal was that Wright was 'showing it off' for potential buyers...of which Ed Browning took the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Pete Regina's B model was a big deal at the time. I always like the B-C and at the time the only "razorback" flying regularly was the POF A model (which had been there the year before).
          ASIR Pete started out with a B tail and center section, then used collected parts and D parts to build it up pretty much from scratch (kinda like Moon Spillers A model). Quite a project for the time. The "finds" we enjoy today just were not around in the late 70's/early 80's and the megabuck rebuilds were not happening yet.
          There are a fair amount of D model details there but boy was it cool to see!
          I agree, Leo. Shangri-La was 'jaw-dropping' by early 1980's standards...and yet today, it could use SO MUCH work to bring it to what the expectations of todays restorations are.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Gaaah....don't say that dreaded B-word (Book).

I have had a biography on Gary Levitz and a book on the Mojave races in the work for YEARS. 90% finished....90% to go. And for a while, Randy Goss and I were planning "Brad and Randy's Kick-Ass Encyclopedia of Air Racing: A two-volume set"....but Randy's stroke kind of put the kaibosh on that.

The year that John Wright ran the Roto-Finish, he was literally racing it 'for' Sliker. Sliker had bought it from Gunther Balz, but a) didn't really like flying it, and b) was concentrating on his own racing Bearcat at that time...so John Wright asked if he could run it for Sliker at Reno. Part of the deal was that Wright was 'showing it off' for potential buyers...of which Ed Browning took the bait.
            Love it! This info is fabulous. The only sources I've got are Tegler's "Gentleman, you have......." and a soft-bound "Reno" It's such a great sport and any info is pure gold. Thank God for this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
              Love it! This info is fabulous. The only sources I've got are Tegler's "Gentleman, you have......." and a soft-bound "Reno" It's such a great sport and any info is pure gold. Thank God for this forum.
              Ah, you need to hit eBay. Get copies of the Reed Kinnert/Dusty Carter "Racing Planes & Air Races" books, which were annual publications from the 60's through 1977.

Old copies of Air Classics coverage is always good, and they are constantly for sale.

Jim Larsen's Directory of Unlimited Air Racers is a great chronicle of the first decade of the Reno-era.

Don Berliner's Unlimited Air Racers, Michael O'Leary's Reno Air Racing, Dusty Carter's Mustang: the Racing Thoroughbred, half a dozen of the Osprey Color series (like Nigel Moll's Reno!) are out there. They're all good.

Comment

I agree, Leo. Shangri-La was 'jaw-dropping' by early 1980's standards...and yet today, it could use SO MUCH work to bring it to what the expectations of todays restorations are.
                Luckily Stephen Grey was willing and able to to get said work done and, from what I've read, most of the D model is gone from what is now "Princess Elizabeth" with Dan Friedkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                  Luckily Stephen Grey was willing and able to to get said work done and, from what I've read, most of the D model is gone from what is now "Princess Elizabeth" with Dan Friedkin.
                  I thought it was with the Beasely's?

Comment

I thought it was with the Beasely's?

Jim Beasley only held on to the P-51B for a very short period before passing it along to Friedkin. I think the sale had something to do with him acquiring the Spitfire XVIII and needing to "thin the herd" to keep peace with the wife! At least I think I recall him posting something to that effect over on the WIX board.

Comment

Nice, Leo.

A color picture of Del Williams' rookie-ride: Joe Banducci's ex-Ciuchetton, now the No Name Lady. There aren't a lot of pictures of that plane from '82 floating around.
                      I believe I have a couple shots of that airplane, in that same "scheme" (or lack of it), in Lakeland in '83 and '84 helping support the Piper Enforcer program as a chase airplane and pilot pro trainer for the test pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                        I believe I have a couple shots of that airplane, in that same "scheme" (or lack of it), in Lakeland in '83 and '84 helping support the Piper Enforcer program as a chase airplane and pilot pro trainer for the test pilots.
                        Yup, that's the same airplane. All polished metal, devoid of markings except for the bladk anti-glare panel. Don Whittington bought it from Banducci and that's exactly what it was used for--the chase plane for the Enforcer program. I don't know if Whittington did the flying, or if he leased it to Piper, but I do know that the airplane had at least one gear-up landing during that time period.

Comment

Working...
                        X