Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial Engine powered VW Bug

The best sounding V dub I've ever heard LOL

Sometimes you meet folks who, when they tell you "Hey, I have an idea," your reflex response is to stop what you're doing and tell yourself, "Get ready...." We imagine Mike Niemans is one of those folks, and the idea in question is putting a tank engine on a Type 1 Volkswagen Beetle. Not just any old tank engine – as if there were such a thing when we're talking about putting them in cars – but a 668-cubic-inch, 220-horsepower radia

Re: Radial Engine powered VW Bug

Early in the developement of the VW Beetle in 1933 Zundapp was a major partner with Porsche and wanted at 1 liter water cooled 5 clylinder radial installed in the prototypes. Porsche was disagreed and favored the flat 4 cylinder engine which was derived from an aircraft motor already in production. Three protoype Beetles were built with the radial engine and sufffered from overheating problems, crankshaft failures, as well as torsion bar failures. Both engines wee rated at ~25hp. Reportedly the radial was also objectionably loud when it was running.

Comment

A few years ago some guys in Germany put an Alvis-Leonides in a Goggomobil (!):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvkcP0mkgA[/YT]

Links to earlier videos come up, posted during the build process.

I was looking through some automotive engineering trade mags from the 1930s and noticed that their vision of the "car of the future" at the time featured radial power. Think of an aerodynamic Art-Deco minivan with a five-cylinder radial mounted in the back.

Comment

UNREAL!........just imagine how much ballast he's carrying in the front of that thing. Really cool, but I'd head for Peavine if it moves.

Comment

Working...
        X