Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteers accepted for PM team.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The annual winter rebuild of Precious Metal started today. If you'd like to join in the efforts of an Unlimited team, please e-mail thom@race83.com

Though we have all required skills on the team already, the following would come in handy: Composite, sheetmetal and bondo/paint. Although the only real requirement is enthusiasm. We can train anyone...

The airplane is located at the Kissimmee Air Museum in central Florida.

Thanks!

Re: Volunteers accepted for PM team.

That would be awesome, but I am also geographically challenged. I'm with you in spirit though... Tonight I'll wear a Precious Metal T-shirt under my coat as I shovel snow and think back to the sun burn I got at Reno in the fall. (sorry, I did wear a Strega shirt on Sunday)

Comment

I'd love to get in on this, but again, wrong coast.

Here is to a very fast PM in September.

Will

Comment

Thom, I too am on the wrong coast....and this would've been right up my alley, nevermind the privilege. This would've been amazing!!! Guess I have to settle for Precious Metal in plastic.

....bondo and paint????? Hope the polished finish isn't going away....of course that's because I don't have to keep it up.
        Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
          Thom, I too am on the wrong coast....and this would've been right up my alley, nevermind the privilege. This would've been amazing!!! Guess I have to settle for Precious Metal in plastic.

....bondo and paint????? Hope the polished finish isn't going away....of course that's because I don't have to keep it up.
          I think the plan was to paint the wing silver so they can do a proper profiling job on it. It will still look good.

Comment

I must have heard the "wrong coast" statement a hundred times today! Why do all gear heads live on the west coast?

On the paint-job, we're open for suggestions. But reserve the right to stick with the existing design. We're going to announce a design contest through the newly formed Precious Metal Magazine in another day or two. Standby for details!

Comment

Smooth and profile and then airbrush in the panel lines and rivets Thom. In photos it would look original.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialgunnery View Post
                I must have heard the "wrong coast" statement a hundred times today! Why do all gear heads live on the west coast?
                Seems pretty obvious it's the airplane that on the wrong coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                  Seems pretty obvious it's the airplane that on the wrong coast.
                  Say....What ever happened to the Tunica, MS races???

Comment

Ahhh,
                    I was wondering how long it would take, before be we're officially told of the paint plans.

I'm really in favor of the cleaned up/painted wings, and any intentions there. White is fast. Grey would do also. Keep 'em cool. Cool = quick.

However, if more color is in store, perhaps in the vertical tail/turtle deck area, that would be great as well. I liked the original idea of Wittington's stripe on the vertical stab. Something along those lines, trailing from the canopy, aft, would be pretty retro.

The "precious" polished skin of the majority of that fuselage, must stay!

Looking forward to this contest.

Joseph

Comment

Joseph,

The explanation, "rules" and prizes will be announced in a few days by the newly formed Precious Metal Magazine. It will still be Precious Metal and will still have a lot of polish. It'll primarily be a wing, belly and marking type scheme.

It'll be interesting to see what people come up with...

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialgunnery View Post

On the paint-job, we're open for suggestions. But reserve the right to stick with the existing design. We're going to announce a design contest through the newly formed Precious Metal Magazine in another day or two. Standby for details!
                        Ill go you one better myself and cdtpf60 live in australia and we would love to be able to be there and turn wrenches apply bondo or sand on pm but if you think west coast is bad try east coast of Australia but but good luck and a easy prep

Comment

Gah... Wrong coast

Comment

Base it at Stead and I'm all yours.............. Heck I would drive to Carson or Minden......

Comment

I think it would be exceptionally impractical to have a full day's commute to just hop around the patch... And expensive to base it anywhere except here. Besides she's a cornerstone in our exhibit here in Kissimmee...

And where would the bragging rights go if one didn't have a 4,500 mile round-trip to the races?...

We'll have to rely on right coasters to make this thing go... We've actually had a pretty good response. We'll make this happen. In fact, it's already happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X