Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82 Pics

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Yes, they finished Dago Red up at Chino about a week before the '82 Reno races....at about the same time the Chino Kids finished up the Bud Light Super Corsair. As I recall they painted them back to back and the paint was still a bit tacky when they both arrived.

I THINK Crocker had a failure of his ADI pump. The temp spiked and the motor detonated. He tried to come off the power but ended up throwing a rod or busting a crankshaft and that poor old Hovey motor just tore itself apart and threw oil everywhere. It was actually a pretty impressive 'blind' landing, but he got on the brakes a bit hard during rollout and nosed it over, tweaking all the prop blades in the process. (Anyone with a keen eye at Reno this last year saw a couple of the blades sitting in the Air Biscuit pits...they were auctioned off. I know Scotty G got one, Jarrod Ulrich got another...not sure where the others ended up.)
    Thanks for the info Brad. Somehow I knew you would know...
    Mark Johnson
    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Re: 82 Pics

My shot of the nose-over is just too fuzzy to post.
      I've got shots of that SJ formation and will post them as I scan. This is fun, a lot of history in this thread!
      Jim Orton also used to bring SJ in front of the bleachers, rev up the engines and do a tail stand (kinda like the aerobatic acts do) which was truly something to see. When I find a shot of it I'll post. Not sure what year he was doing it so it may be in another group. I've got about 300 slides per year so...
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
      X