82 Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 Pics

My son got me a slide scanner for Xmas so I am experimenting.
    I have 79-83 on slides, these are 82. They are a little faded so I will see what comes out!

1. Dago Red and Sumthin Else before the Gold Start.
    2. Gold start
    3. Dago Red and Sumthin else rounding pylon 8
    4. Sumthin Else deadstick landing after his engine blew. He tipped way up on the nose a few seconds later and dinged the prop pretty bad.
    5. The oily result of his engine failure.
    Attached Files
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: 82 Pics

Cool stuff. Please keep scanning and posting. Its cool being able to see racers that are either no longer around, or have been returned to stock.

Will

Comment

Many thanks, looking good.

Comment

Seems like just yesterday :-)

I need to get out my slides from that same era and scan them as well.
        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

These are awesome! Also an odd coincidence... On Christmas day I was at my parents home looking through some pictures of Bob Hoover's Mustang that I took at an Ohio airshow in, I think, 1984.

As you might imagine, the pictures, which were taken by a 9 year old with a Kodak Instamatic 100 using a flashbulb at sunset don't look like much, but I can still remember standing behind a rope, after the show had closed, admiring the way the exhaust had stained the cowling/fuselage sides. For some reason, it looked really cool in the twilight, and it impressed upon me the sheer brawn of the Merlin engine. I think about that sight everytime I watch one of the various internet videos of a warbird night run-up

Comment

Thanks!
            It's going to be a slow process but I am determined to get it done while I still can. I also have a TON of film negatives to scan so I now have a new hobby for a while!
            This thing allows me to do 135 slides, 135 negatives and 110 negatives so pretty much everything I have can be scanned and archived to disc. I'll post what I find interesting as I go.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Wow, Leo. Looks like you were sitting just a few rows above me on Sunday....with a little bigger lens.
              Attached Files

Comment

Probably!
                79-84 I sat in the top row, first corner, of the first general admission bleacher. We got in line VERY early to get the spot. My group had all our stuff slung over the back including a HUGE white box of equipment and goodies. Used to climb down the outside to go to the can (try that now!).
                Good times back then.
                I shot with a Minolta and a 90-230 Vivitar lens, doubled (which accounts for the dark edges and brighter center of my shots). Took 4 hands to zoom, set exposure, focus and wind. On a cloudy day I was busy!
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I noticed the tail of the B-17 in that last shot there on the left side of the pic. Anybody remember which aircraft that was and was it just doing fly-by's? It reminds me of the Arizona CAF B-17 "Sentimental Journey", but I'm sure there were plenty of 17's back then with the same tail markings.

Thanks for posting these sweet pics guys! Keep 'em comin!

Comment

Sentimental Journey.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Leo for confirming that. I had a great ride in "SJ" two years ago, getting to sit in the nose for a low pass and landing in Twin Falls, Idaho. Incredible airplane, but even more incredible generation that flew 'em!

Comment

Leo - Thanks very much for posting the pics. As others have said, please keep 'em coming.

As this was way before my time, couple of questions:

1. Was '82 Dago's first year at Reno?
                        2. What caused the blowup on Crocker's engine? Main seal let go? That's a LOT of oil on the cowling (and everywhere else for that matter) in your last pic.
                        Mark Johnson
                        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by N29131 View Post
                          Thanks Leo for confirming that. I had a great ride in "SJ" two years ago, getting to sit in the nose for a low pass and landing in Twin Falls, Idaho. Incredible airplane, but even more incredible generation that flew 'em!
                          Yes, as Leo said that was Sentimental Journey. They had just finished installing the top turret prior to Reno. They made a pretty cool formation pass on Saturday with the Tired Iron Racing Team's B-25, the P-51 Ho Hun, and the Condor Squadron's T-6's. I think they were taking off to go home just as the planes were lining up for the Championship Race.

Jim Orton was the lead pilot for SJ at the time, and he had just finished racing Sandberg's P-51 Tipsy Too in the Silver Championship, so he climbed in and flew the B-17 back to Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                            Leo - Thanks very much for posting the pics. As others have said, please keep 'em coming.

As this was way before my time, couple of questions:

1. Was '82 Dago's first year at Reno?
                            2. What caused the blowup on Crocker's engine? Main seal let go? That's a LOT of oil on the cowling (and everywhere else for that matter) in your last pic.
                            Yes, they finished Dago Red up at Chino about a week before the '82 Reno races....at about the same time the Chino Kids finished up the Bud Light Super Corsair. As I recall they painted them back to back and the paint was still a bit tacky when they both arrived.

I THINK Crocker had a failure of his ADI pump. The temp spiked and the motor detonated. He tried to come off the power but ended up throwing a rod or busting a crankshaft and that poor old Hovey motor just tore itself apart and threw oil everywhere. It was actually a pretty impressive 'blind' landing, but he got on the brakes a bit hard during rollout and nosed it over, tweaking all the prop blades in the process. (Anyone with a keen eye at Reno this last year saw a couple of the blades sitting in the Air Biscuit pits...they were auctioned off. I know Scotty G got one, Jarrod Ulrich got another...not sure where the others ended up.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              2. Gold start
                              And if I remember correctly from your photo....Hoover on pace, Crocker in "Sumthin' Else", Ron Hevle in "Dago Red", Steve Hinton (might be Jim Maloney, but they flipped a coin each day to see who would race it) in "Super Corsair", Clay Klabo in "Fat Cat", Del Williams in "No Name Lady" (the ex-Ciuchetton), and Tiger in "Mangia Pane". John Dilley in "Lou IV" was in there somewhere too.

Here is my shot of the start of Saturday's Gold Heat. Sorry it's crappy quality. I was still learning to shoot black and white.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X