Me 323 “Gigant” wreck found off Sardinian coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me 323 “Gigant” wreck found off Sardinian coast

Italian researchers claim to have discovered the wreck of a Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant heavy cargo/troop transport off the Sardinian coast. Only 200 Me 323 were built during the war and none has survived to this day, the only remnants of the type being a main spar owned by the Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr (German Air Force Museum), near Berlin.

The plane was reportedly shot down by a Bristol Beaufighter on 26 July 1943 as it left Sardinia for Pistoia in Italy. A few troops onboard the aircraft managed to evacuate the aircraft before it sank, but most passengers were trapped inside and drowned.

If the wreck does prove to be an Me 323, this would be a major discovery for aviation historians. Amateur historian and diver Cristina Freghieri claims she had been searching for the wreck for a year but had not expected to find it here. The wreck was discovered by using a wire-guided camera, and was then explored by a team of divers. The few seconds of footage that have been made available would tend to show the wreck is indeed an Me 323

Re: Me 323 “Gigant” wreck found off Sardinian coast

Nice find.

Here is a video/picture link to the Me 323:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this important military aviation history story.
      [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OvyOeXnW0k[/YT]
      Rampking

Comment

Aww geez and some of you guys complain about the music in some of the race video's posted.......
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Damn, that's one ugly ass airplane.

But the Freight Dog in me thinks it's bitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
            Damn, that's one ugly ass airplane.

But the Freight Dog in me thinks it's bitchen.
            Like the tactical C-17, it was able to carry one 'tank'.....Panzer III
            or Sd.Kfz. 7 Prime mover!
            Plus Drive in/drive off capabilty... that qualifies for "bitchen"
            Yea, it was shot to pieces by fighters but what heavy lift cargo aircraft could survive in the same environment?
            I wish I could find a film with audio of the Me-323 with 6 radial engines turning and six rocket motors burning on take-off.
            Rampking

Comment

Thanks guys.

And I thought I've seen all the WWII footage, this was interesting.

Comment

Let's hope for recovery, restoration and it eventually winning the Heritage Trophy Reno 2015!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                  Let's hope for recovery, restoration and it eventually winning the Heritage Trophy Reno 2015!

Spacegrrrl
                  If someobdy can put together a (3) ship formation air-to-air photoshoot with the ME 323, a Shackleton and B-36 at Reno by 2015, I'll buy the fuel

Comment

Working...
                  X