Thunder Mustang trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder Mustang trivia

I wonder what other planes Lyle would've competed against? I can't think of many that would've given RB any competition...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
      I wonder what other planes Lyle would've competed against? I can't think of many that would've given RB any competition...
      Well, one of them was Hinton in the Griffon Spit that you blew off a couple pages back.

Comment

And;
        Back in the olden days there were a lot more Bearcats competing.
        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
          The main competition Lyle was thinking about was for the 3 KM, and 15 KM, that record he did not hold. But Lyle loved competition and hated the Beatles and Elvis.
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
            I can totally see it that way.

The recent attempt was more personal for those with a history with the plane. I just thought it was going to be very cool because (as testing had showed) we where not just going to break it but obliterate it.
            Yes it would have been clean off the map!

Anson Johnson practiced way off the map back in the fifties and fate never let N13Y hold the record, and fate also prevented N13Y from being Lyle's racer in the sixties. Fate is a real Bitch, huh?
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
              The main competition Lyle was thinking about was for the 3 KM, and 15 KM, that record he did not hold. But Lyle loved competition and hated the Beatles and Elvis.
              Yeah,
              I always put my friends parents in two categories, Elvis or Frank. Dad and Lyle were definitely not Elvis. In fact I could see them liking Vaughn Monroe!
              Chris...

Comment

While 72 seconds would get you the piston powered prop drive record, you would need some serious haul some ass to beat the prop record set by Wayne Handly in the Turbo Raven at 69 seconds!

Comment

I believe the turboprop NXT at Stead was built to go after Handly's record. Of course it has never flown, and after looking at it up close I can see why...

Comment

Why wasn't another Turbo Raven built?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      Even though he made a 'complete' recovery, Wayne Handley was pretty seriously injured in that wreck--messed up his back if I remember. He officially 'retired' after the accident. He flew a limited number of hand-picked shows in the original Raven for the next couple years until he donated that plane to a museum.

Since the Turbo Raven was purely a Wayne Handley creation, most likely there was no need or desire to build another one. And if you've seen the video of the crash impact, who could blame him?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        Because you didn't do it yet. Wayne built it on his own, you can do it too! Time, effort, money, get that together in the right package and you can build the new Turbo Raven.
                        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          ...He flew a limited number of hand-picked shows in the original Raven for the next couple years until he donated that plane to a museum...
                          And close to home it was!!

<begin shameless plug>

</shameless plug>

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            And close to home it was!!

<begin shameless plug>

</shameless plug>

Did it go to Evergreen, Wayne? I honestly couldn't remember which one it was. I knew it was a West Coast musuem, but....

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              Did it go to Evergreen, Wayne? I honestly couldn't remember which one it was. I knew it was a West Coast musuem, but....
                              Yep, wuz a big deal out there that year. Wayne did his last routene, ceremony with Larry Ellison's son and others.

I would hope it's still there but I've not been back since that day out there.

Dialtapper, you been out there at the museum in the last few years?
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was there in mid oct.. And it is there along with a lot of other cool things....also caught 3d air racers in the IMAX theater
                                Jim Adams
                                Blue Thunder 2 crew
                                Picabo race 51 crew
                                Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Working...
                                X