Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder Mustang trivia

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    Here is something I've never been able to find out....how was RB configured when they set the TTC record? Did it have a stock 3350, or if modified, how so? I've asked these questions in here before, but I've never gotten any answers....
    It had a 'modified' (by 1972 standards) 3350 by George and Bill at Aircraft Cylinder, the stock wingtips before the clip, and the first version of the small canopy.

When Lyle set the record he left plenty to go after, as he did not feel that he flew the 'profile' as well as he could have. As to your other comment that you don't think the Spit (which was a long-winged Griffon bird equipped with a Shackelton counter-rotating prop) couldn't beat it...that's your opinion. However, the people that were involved with it felt that it could very easily have challenged Lyle's record.

Comment

Is their a video of RB when it captured the ttc record?

Comment

does anyone have the results of the time to climb race between pushy galore and the thunder mustang done at sun n fun
        dave
        www.davemorss.com

Comment

I have Super 8 of the TTC record. They're not as good as I remember. However the Bearcat goes up like a car down the freeway.

The '72 engine made plenty of power, the problem was controlling the airplane. The Spitfire with the contra-prop was all about having that problem licked.

The temperature of the day when the record was set was 20 degrees or more warmer than predicted as well as Lyle's complaints of his own performance.

I'm sure Steve could've borrowed some wingtips for the Spitfire and made the engine make big HP for the event. It would've been a fine spectacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            It had a 'modified' (by 1972 standards) 3350 by George and Bill at Aircraft Cylinder, the stock wingtips before the clip, and the first version of the small canopy.

When Lyle set the record he left plenty to go after, as he did not feel that he flew the 'profile' as well as he could have. As to your other comment that you don't think the Spit (which was a long-winged Griffon bird equipped with a Shackelton counter-rotating prop) couldn't beat it...that's your opinion. However, the people that were involved with it felt that it could very easily have challenged Lyle's record.
            Kind of makes you wonder how much today's version of RB would beat it's old record by...

Comment

Kind of makes you wonder how much today's version of RB would beat it's old record by...
              Lyle felt that with optimal temperatures and favorable conditions aloft for winds that he could make a significant improvement. But the honest attitude was 'why'? It's no fun to go beat your own record. That was why there was interest in having someone else go challenge it.

Interesting to note that Lyle Shelton still held both the FIA Unlimited time to climb and the 3km records at the time of his passing. He has held the time to climb longer than anyone else, and if nobody challenges the 3km in the next seven years he will have held that record longer than even Wendel.

Comment

It would be interesting to test a pumped up Thunder Mustang using a good prop and nitrous. The rate of climb posted @ 5200 was at gross weight. Empty TM is only 2200 lbs, gross @ 3200. Light fuel load, one person on board I'm sure it will break 6000 fpm with ease ~ Just sayin ~

Cloudchaser

Comment

Lyle felt that with optimal temperatures and favorable conditions aloft for winds that he could make a significant improvement. But the honest attitude was 'why'? It's no fun to go beat your own record.
                  I know a group of people that would totality disagree with you.

Their was a variety of personal reasons, but the team as a whole was very stoked to beat their own record.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                    I know a group of people that would totality disagree with you.

Their was a variety of personal reasons, but the team as a whole was very stoked to beat their own record.
                    Sorry, Chris...maybe I wasn't clear. I meant Lyle personally. He had no desire to go out and beat either of his own records, but the competitor in him would have loved the competition. That's one of the reasons he and Tiger got along so well...they both got the competition aspect of it all.

Comment

Sorry, Chris...maybe I wasn't clear. I meant Lyle personally. He had no desire to go out and beat either of his own records, but the competitor in him would have loved the competition. That's one of the reasons he and Tiger got along so well...they both got the competition aspect of it all.
                      I can totally see it that way.

The recent attempt was more personal for those with a history with the plane. I just thought it was going to be very cool because (as testing had showed) we where not just going to break it but obliterate it.

Comment

I 'd love to see it, but which record were you going to obliterate?
                        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
                          It would be interesting to test a pumped up Thunder Mustang using a good prop and nitrous. The rate of climb posted @ 5200 was at gross weight. Empty TM is only 2200 lbs, gross @ 3200. Light fuel load, one person on board I'm sure it will break 6000 fpm with ease ~ Just sayin ~

Cloudchaser
                          If it does have this type of climb performance I wonder why they didn't attempt the time to climb record as an advertising tool to sell the "actual" performance of the airplane rather than typing in a figure on a sales sheet?
                          Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                            If it does have this type of climb performance I wonder why they didn't attempt the time to climb record as an advertising tool to sell the "actual" performance of the airplane rather than typing in a figure on a sales sheet?
                            Chris...
                            After Dale Clark was killed in the crash of the green and white demonstrator model, my guess is the wind was pretty much gone from their sails....and after that the company started having it's financial issues that led to the demise. I seem to recall that they were eyeing a lot of 'class' records to take a swing at at the time, though.

I know Dave Morss posted on this thread a few days ago...given his time flying and testing the prototype in the mid-90's I'd love to hear some thoughts or observations.

Comment

Aha,
                              Too bad about Dale and the aftermath of that accident on the company.
                              Chris...

Comment

Lyle felt from flight testing without the long wing tips but approximatingthe difference in performance that if someone else broke his record, he could reset the record at a sub 72 second time frame. Using long wings and a Cuffed Aero Products M20 series blade. Big Jim is right Lyle while he was the Benevolent Dictator of RareBearland had zero interest in beating a record he already held. However he thought it would be great sport to get together with two or three other guys. Then have a record run shoot out. The end of the weekend the record runs would be over. No time restrictions, No airshow just fast airplanes running against the clock multiple times when they were ready.
                                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                                X