SteadFast qual video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteadFast qual video

I've been working on the crew video and thought I'd post a small clip for everyone.
    This video was shot on the 10th of September 2012 during the qualifying sessions at the National Championship Air Races held in Reno Nevada. The cameras used...

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Re: SteadFast qual video

Sweet, thanks for posting.

Will

Comment

AS always Jason,very cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing.You efforts are appreciated.

Comment

Why does he turn up the throttle while on the ground and stationary at 6:56 before shutting it down. What purpose does this serve?

Nice video. I would have liked to seen one complete lap at full speed from inside the cockpit.
        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          Why does he turn up the throttle while on the ground and stationary at 6:56 before shutting it down. What purpose does this serve?
          Gets a nice full disk engine shut down opp to the photogs...??

Actually SkyVan.. it is done to "clear" or burn off all the crap that has built up in the combustion chambers during idle/taxi... Turn it up, burn it off, shut it off... These engines are not like our modern, computer controlled fuel injection, send only what you need to make a clean burn engine.. In most cases, there will be some combustion leftovers in the cylinders... "burning it off" makes a clean start next time more likely... As always, I'm not a pilot, but am a student of the internal combustion engine... and I believe my information to be correct..
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Actually SkyVan.. it is done to "clear" or burn off all the crap that has built up in the combustion chambers during idle/taxi... Turn it up, burn it off, shut it off... These engines are not like our modern, computer controlled fuel injection, send only what you need to make a clean burn engine.. In most cases, there will be some combustion leftovers in the cylinders... "burning it off" makes a clean start next time more likely... As always, I'm not a pilot, but am a student of the internal combustion engine... and I believe my information to be correct..
            I think most carburated engines run a little rich at idle, and the lead components in normal 100 octane LL avgas won't burn off at idle rpms (I have no idea what the lead content of whatever racers are using is). A pre-shutdown runup to 1200 rpm helps clean the plugs on my Luscombe. On a dry-sump engine, a pre-shutdown runup scavenges excess oil out of the engine back into the oil tank. Pulling the prop back to low pitch also aids in scavenging.

My $.02
            DL

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post

Nice video. I would have liked to seen one complete lap at full speed from inside the cockpit.
              All good answers, but the #1 reason is to do a mag check.

Comment

Regarding lead content in the fuel:

VP Air Race (LC) = 6.0 g/USgal
                VP 115/145 (LC), not sure but old 100/130 had 4.0 g/USgal
                100LL (LC) = 1.2 to 2.0 g/USgal

Donald McMullin
                Team Steadfast

Comment

Hi Don, I'll call you today.
                  Jason, nice work as always.
                  I'll work on getting something else for you to film so dont sign anything!
                  It's like DT said, mag check.
                  I could do it in the air but I like to let the crew hear it as well in case they see or hear something I dont.
                  That way we have time to fix an issue if one were present before our next heat race.
                  Besides, we all come to hear them run anyway so I figure it's for the crowd.
                  WW

Comment

Working...
                  X