OT: zero wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: zero wind

Zero wind at altitude. High altitude traffic over SF bay-area; contrail was string-straight and must've been 30 miles long. Really impressive.

Re: OT: zero wind

Perhaps the conditions are perfect for long lasting contrails?

I'm in the Eastbay and am seeing planes at altitude leaving contrails, but they seem the normal length 1-2 miles estimate, then they fade to nothing.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
      Zero wind at altitude. High altitude traffic over SF bay-area; contrail was string-straight and must've been 30 miles long. Really impressive.
      Might have been WAY up there, possibly a U2? I read a story of an SR-71 flying out of Mildenhall headed up to the Barrents Sea and back, a big out and back loop. After the they made the return they saw a contrail at the same altitude they were at. They frantically looked for another aircraft thinking a Mig 25 had somehow made it to their altitude but couldn't see anything. Then it donned on the pilot that it was their own contrail stretching for as far as they could see.

Will

Comment

I was out at Chrissy Field and saw that too on Saturday.. It looked like a 4 engine airliner headed northwest, but yeah.. One of the longest ones I've seen for sure. I distinctly remember thinking, "wow that's a long contrail". Pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
        X