F-4 downs a pickup truck 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-4 downs a pickup truck 1985

I don't know if anyone else remembers the Nevada Air Guards little ride-on F-4 taking out a pickup on the ramp on Sunday in 1985. The little F-4 was rolling down the ramp with a Sargent at the stick. For some reason someone thought it would be neat to have the Commander of the Snowbirds ride on the back and wave at the crowd. At the same time a pick up truck loaded with ice was heading in the same direction as the F-4. That was not a problem until (for reasons unknown) the F-4 made an abrupt right turn. The timing could have not been better, the stainless steel probe on the front of the F-4 harpooned the front tire of the pickup. Instant blow-out. The impact tipped the little F-4 over. The poor Snowbird Commander flew off and hit the ground. He was not injured (although I think his pride may have received a few bruises). I felt sorry for the poor Sargent who was driving the thing, as I recall he received a shoulder injury.

The Air Guard still has the little F-4. I saw it during their open house this past June. I thought that they should have painted a silhouette of a little pickup truck on the side to commemorate the shoot-down.
Working...
X