Why no P-47's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no P-47's?

I know P-47's were raced in the past, but I don't know of any in recent history (not that I've been following as long as some of you have). How long has it been since one was raced? I assume the relative rarity has a lot to do with their lack of presence at Reno, but couldn't they be somewhat competitive in the silver? Maybe a little time and money could turn one into a competitor in the gold?

Re: Why no P-47's?

There have been two P-47's raced in closed-course competition. Lefty Gardner raced one of the Ed Jurist/CAF P-47's in 1974 at Reno, and Bob Hannah raced David Price's Museum of Flying P-47 in 1995 at Phoenix. Price brought the same plane to Reno that year but did not make the field.

Bottom line, the plane is big and heavy and not very competitive. It was more of a high-altitute fighter (as witnessed by the turbo on the '2800) and isn't nearly as clean as other contemporary fighters. The wing isn't very 'fast', and the fuselage itself is kind of clunky.

It tops the scales at 10,000 lbs...more than a Sea Fury. And that's a lot of weight to lug around at low altitude with just an R-2800.

It was a great ground-attack plane because it was big and heavy and could carry a dump-load of ammo. But it's just not really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      ...Bottom line, the plane is big and heavy and not very competitive. It was more of a high-altitute fighter (as witnessed by the turbo on the '2800) and isn't nearly as clean as other contemporary fighters. The wing isn't very 'fast', and the fuselage itself is kind of clunky.

It tops the scales at 10,000 lbs...more than a Sea Fury. And that's a lot of weight to lug around at low altitude with just an R-2800.

It was a great ground-attack plane because it was big and heavy and could carry a dump-load of ammo. But it's just not really fast.

I think there are things yet to be learned from the 47. It's a shame that Mr. Odom didn't get the chance to post a cross-country speed in the 1947 Bendix, could have been interesting.

Look at what that 'little' 2800 has done, in monstrous aircraft such as the Thunderbolt, Corsair, and Bearcat! I really think that we are yet to see the real potential of that little race-plane sporting the 28, perhaps we'll see her in front of #8 come September 2013.

I think if Mr. Rod Lewis wanted to turn even more heads, we'd witness spraybars on a Tigercat, with big spinners, just for Reno... Let's see a 400+mph lap out of one of those beasts!

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        I think there are things yet to be learned from the 47. It's a shame that Mr. Odom didn't get the chance to post a cross-country speed in the 1947 Bendix, could have been interesting.

Look at what that 'little' 2800 has done, in monstrous aircraft such as the Thunderbolt, Corsair, and Bearcat! I really think that we are yet to see the real potential of that little race-plane sporting the 28, perhaps we'll see her in front of #8 come September 2013.

I think if Mr. Rod Lewis wanted to turn even more heads, we'd witness spraybars on a Tigercat, with big spinners, just for Reno... Let's see a 400+mph lap out of one of those beasts!

Joseph
        Anything that Odom would have done in the Bendix would have been at high altitutde where they could have taken advantage of the turbocharger. Down low the plane is not that fast...and it's heavier than the Corsair, Sea Fury, and especially the Bearcat, not to mention that it is an older design with a less efficient airfoil and airframe. At Reno it would (and was) be a pig.

XP-72, maybe, but....not a P-47 with a 2800. Sorry.

Comment

I was there when Lefty flew the 'bolt during a Bronze race in 1974. Sure was cool to see it on the course. Only problem: they're fast, but by the time they got it spooled-up down the chute, everybody else was already rounding 4 and headin for the VOS. Neat airplane, just not a Reno-airplane.

Comment

The little Air Biscuit isn't much a Reno racer either, but she's a blast to have there!

Comment

Working...
            X