Photo Request for Mira Slovak article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Request for Mira Slovak article

Good day gentlemen. I am currently writing an article for a warbird magazine about the racing career of Mira Slovak. I have all the historical information I need from my book collection, internet sources, and an interview with Mira. The article itself should be completed in the next couple weeks.

I'd like to put out a blanket request for photos of Mira himself, his Race 80 Bearcat, and Race 21 P-39 Mr Mennen. I only do this as a hobby so I can offer no compensation, but if your photo is used in the magazine you'll receive credit for the photo. You'll also have my thanks.

Please feel free to contact me at- flyboychappie@msn.com

Cheers,
    Chappie

Re: Photo Request for Mira Slovak article

Nobody?

Chappie

Comment

Doug Fisher has some cool ones of Mira's P-39. Ran Slaten has some cool ones of Mr. Mennen flying (not racing) at Mojave '75.

I could put you in contact with them if you don't have their info....

Comment

Did Mr Mennan ever race? I remember seeing it at Reno one year, but I don't think it raced. What ever happened to that plane? Is she still around? Sure was pretty, I really like the color.
        Reed Kinerts Air Racing books have some good pictures....not sure about using them, copyright laws and all.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Did Mr Mennan ever race? I remember seeing it at Reno one year, but I don't think it raced. What ever happened to that plane? Is she still around? Sure was pretty, I really like the color.
          Reed Kinerts Air Racing books have some good pictures....not sure about using them, copyright laws and all.
          Brian
          Mira had it prepared in time for Reno '72, but because of some issues he arrived after the deadline and was not allowed to race. He was somewhat turned off by that experience and didn't enter it again...but he did have a little run-in with the FAA and a low-pass down the runway at Santa Maria, if I remember correctly. He flew it at a few local airshows, the last one being a display at Mojave '75.

The following month he sold the plane to Col. Ed Messick of the CAF and it was painted in the sand/spinach markings of a P-400 in the South Pacific for several years. He raced the plane at Reno '76.

Ultimately the plane was sold to Pete Parrish at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, but the plane was seldom flown and ultmately grounded. As I recall, several years ago there was an incident where a pickup truck smashed through the wall of the museum and damaged the plane, but that's the last I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Doug Fisher has some cool ones of Mira's P-39. Ran Slaten has some cool ones of Mr. Mennen flying (not racing) at Mojave '75.

I could put you in contact with them if you don't have their info....
            Hi Jim,

I have Doug's information and have been in touch with him. But I don't have Ron Slaten's contact info. I'd like to get as much as I can to give the magazine as many options as possible.

Thanks,
            Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie View Post
              Hi Jim,

I have Doug's information and have been in touch with him. But I don't have Ron Slaten's contact info. I'd like to get as much as I can to give the magazine as many options as possible.

Thanks,
              Chappie
              I forwarded your address to him. Here is one of Ran's photos...low rez and not cleaned up....from Mojave '75.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                I forwarded your address to him. Here is one of Ran's photos...low rez and not cleaned up....from Mojave '75.
                Whoa yeah. If Ran has more like that and scans them hi-res that'd be great.

BTW Jim- I sent you an email a few days back. Did you get it? Maybe in your junk folder?

Chappie

Comment

Big Jim,
                  You made two mistakes in your post about Mira Slovak VS the FAA. The incident was @ Santa Paula, not Santa Maria and Mira did not make a low pass down the runway. He was asked to by the SZP Airport Manager but Mira refused and was over the riverbed during his downwind departure heading for Torrance. Our friend Perry Schreffler was orbiting over the airport in Mira's Mooney and took a video of the whole incident.
                  MIRA SLOVAK 1 FAA 0

DON VANCE

Comment

Originally posted by B29FE177 View Post
                    Big Jim,
                    You made two mistakes in your post about Mira Slovak VS the FAA. The incident was @ Santa Paula, not Santa Maria and Mira did not make a low pass down the runway. He was asked to by the SZP Airport Manager but Mira refused and was over the riverbed during his downwind departure heading for Torrance. Our friend Perry Schreffler was orbiting over the airport in Mira's Mooney and took a video of the whole incident.
                    MIRA SLOVAK 1 FAA 0

DON VANCE
                    Thanks, Don. I just remember Mira telling me the story several years ago...brain fade on my part.

Comment

Working...
                    X