Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake up in the works?

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
    All this crazy for one airplane in one class at Reno, there are 5 other classes that in my opinion get **** on for the most part, granted the unlimiteds are the show ponies of the event , but..... Endeavor in f1 broke a record this year , phantom breaks some kind of record every year, lavell is doing 400 mph in a plane you can fly everyday, just sayin there is a lot more to Reno than just these show ponies, it's this attitude that makes me want to quit racing all together.
    I think that everyone appreciates the other classes for what they are, and my opinion is that ALL of the classes are required to have a successful event--as witnessed by the several attempts over the years to have F-1, Biplane, T-6 races at various venues that may have produced some decent racing but drew little to no spectator support. And even the Unlimited-only events that have been tried, none have lasted more than two tries. I also think that any aviation junkie is going to 'appreciate' all the things you cited, but unless you are an owner/pilot/crew the attachment you have to any of the (sorry for putting it this way....) "support classes" just aren't going to have the passion or the draw to the average-joe spectator that walks through the door. That is NO DIG AT YOU AND THE CONTRIBUTION YOU HAVE MADE BY RACING. It is very much appreciated. And trust me...I can remember one year when the only two classes that raced were the Unlimiteds and a 'depleted' F-1 class. It was much more airshow that year than air race...and only then did a lot of people start appreciating the 'little guys' more. It always has been the Unlimiteds, it always will be the Unlimiteds, and even though the Sport Class has been trying to jockey itself to 'take over' once the Unlimiteds become extinct....once the Unlimiteds go, so does the large portion of the fan base that shows up. It's not *****ing on the other classes...it's just a bottom-line reality. But the REAL bottom-line here is that at least there IS passion for the sport. Even if it's just directed at one of the show ponies, at least there is still that passion. When that disappears, I don't care what class is your favorite...the final nail is in the casket of the sport.

Comment

That's the attitude right there, "for what they are" sorry but that just doesn't sit well with me sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        I think that everyone appreciates the other classes for what they are, and my opinion is that ALL of the classes are required to have a successful event--as witnessed by the several attempts over the years to have F-1, Biplane, T-6 races at various venues that may have produced some decent racing but drew little to no spectator support. And even the Unlimited-only events that have been tried, none have lasted more than two tries. I also think that any aviation junkie is going to 'appreciate' all the things you cited, but unless you are an owner/pilot/crew the attachment you have to any of the (sorry for putting it this way....) "support classes" just aren't going to have the passion or the draw to the average-joe spectator that walks through the door. That is NO DIG AT YOU AND THE CONTRIBUTION YOU HAVE MADE BY RACING. It is very much appreciated. And trust me...I can remember one year when the only two classes that raced were the Unlimiteds and a 'depleted' F-1 class. It was much more airshow that year than air race...and only then did a lot of people start appreciating the 'little guys' more. It always has been the Unlimiteds, it always will be the Unlimiteds, and even though the Sport Class has been trying to jockey itself to 'take over' once the Unlimiteds become extinct....once the Unlimiteds go, so does the large portion of the fan base that shows up. It's not *****ing on the other classes...it's just a bottom-line reality. But the REAL bottom-line here is that at least there IS passion for the sport. Even if it's just directed at one of the show ponies, at least there is still that passion. When that disappears, I don't care what class is your favorite...the final nail is in the casket of the sport.
        Well said and true. +1

Comment

Last one here don't want to take away from the bear, but you should try being the owner/pilot of one of the not unlimited classes, it really wears you out

Comment

That's the attitude right there, "for what they are" sorry but that just doesn't sit well with me sorry.
            Sorry, but "for what they are", support classes, is realty.

Nice to have, but you could rotate some to every other year and overall attendance would change much. If anyone doubts that, what do you think would if the Unlimiteds ran at 10:00 am, it would be a small crowd by 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post

Nice to have, but you could rotate some to every other year and overall attendance would change much. If anyone doubts that, what do you think would if the Unlimiteds ran at 10:00 am, it would be a small crowd by 11:00.
              Kinda like the 20% that leaves after the big ticket jet teams are done, but before the unlimiteds? They are not all there for the unlimiteds either.

Comment

f1-69,

I'm just a above-average air race fan, someone that has been loyal since 1978. Raised 2 wonderful kids and they too are very devoted to the sport, add in there friends we grow the fan base 2-3x a year.

Your comments are difficult to respond too, its almost like your participating in your class unwillingly.

In reality, air racing is not a sport that pays the bills, rather a sport that offers a place to legally pursue your adrenaline rush. The size of your rush is based on your disposable income.

So for RARA to be able to offer pilots a place and environment to experience a unique air racing venue they have to create a event that draws people.

For our family its always been the unlimiteds that have made September in Reno special.

As a comparison look at the music industry, how many startup bands have hit the big time after opening for well establish bands. Without the big band drawing the crowd, these startup bands would never have had the opportunity to experience the big stage rush.

Same goes for air racing and the smaller classes, if there was no Unlimiteds, Snow Birds, Blue Angels or Thunderbirds drawing the bulk of the people, RARA would not be able to offer you a course, let alone 100,000+ people for you to get your rush in front of. That alone has to be worth something to you, right?

Maybe you need to step up to the plate and buy Voodoo

Hans
                Last edited by Desertdawg; 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

You can be irritated by that, but I think it honestly reflects the vast majority of spectators' opinions.

Its certainly not the fault of anyone on this forum for 'cultivating' such an opinion -- it existed long before this forum ever existed.

Comment

I thought a Bear Cat was a Bear, not a Feline Cat? Major difference in the animals. Is there a Cat known as a Bear Cat?

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    For the last several days I have been hearing some rumors, and now today Facebook seems to confirm that some changes are going on with a certain purple feline racer and her caretakers.
                    [/url]
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

There should be no question about my passion for Reno , I have raced at least two airplanes every year but my rookie year, next year I am bringing 3, many posative post on this site with many pics of our passion. These are my views from the inside

Comment

Yes (FI)Phil is right the F1 types & larger homebuilts were all that raced,and drew large crowds, prior to modified warbirds entering the picture. Planes such as the GeeBees,Laird Solutions & many others were all exciting to watch at various races around the country. I bet the FI pilots & crews can drink as much beer as the Unlimited pilots & crews. Keep coming Phil.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

There should be no question about my passion for Reno , I have raced at least two airplanes every year but my rookie year, next year I am bringing 3, many posative post on this site with many pics of our passion. These are my views from the inside
                          I don't think there has been a single negative comment directed towards you or the other classes...rather, the last two pages worth of comments have commended you for your participation and contribution. And my bet is that 99% of the people on this board--if they could afford it--would be bringing SOMETHING to run....would take you up on your offer/challenge to be an owner/pilot and would gladly see how much it took out of them. Personally, if I could FIT in a biplane or F-1, I would have been doing it a long time ago. But at my size, it's not a plausable thing. And I can't afford anything larger.

Everybody appreciates the contribution you've made by bringing two planes...and look forward to a third next year. We really do.

Comment

For sure, you guys don't get the attention of the big boys but man are you fun to watch! Particularly, from close up!

I know, at least, Neal Nurmi, makes shooting you guys one of his main missions.. The fact that a number of you guys from your class participate here is a step in the right direction... We (fans) learn more about your class by you being here and that sparks interest..

I'll pledge to try to do more for you guys with the site.. if I can ever get over the "writers block" that has plagued me for the last 8 years since surviving the big C..... I'll even get some stuff written!

Trust me, you guys are appreciated, some of the closest, most competitive racers are you's guys!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally, I am excited by the prospect of something happening with the bear crew that could possibly see the plane worked on and flown more then 3 weeks a year.

I am of the opinion that the bear needs more personal attention and passion to reach that 500+ mark on a consistent basis. I love what Rod has done for the sport and classic aviation in general, but its very easy to see that Rare Bear is not "his baby"

I realize this doesn't appear to be a change in ownership,but it is a change. (again)

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post

Anyone that could say such a dismissive thing about F-1 shows a total ignorance of what air racing is all about. I've been told repeatedly by unlimited participants that if you want to see real innovation you go to the F-1 and biplane hangar (and these days super sport).

Finally only this forum could produce such a ridiculous thread. The owner of bear gave the team resources and time to produce results. They failed. He has EVERY right to make a big change to get the results he expected when he bought this plane. We don't know the details but I support whatever he decides to do with his plane.

So folks that think you have a say about what happens to Bear, get over it! You are owed nothing no matter how fantastic a fan you claim to be. If you don't like that, buy a racer of your own, then you can run your program with whoever you want, however you want.

Spacegrrrl <- who understands and supports EXACTLY what F1-69 was saying!

Comment

Working...
                                X