Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake up in the works?

Originally posted by al baby View Post
    It's Rod's airplane. He can do anything he wants to it.
    Don't see where anyone's contesting that...

Originally posted by al baby View Post
    If the crew chief didn't show so much disdain towards the pilot, perhaps things may have ended differently.
    Hummn.. what was that term used in the debates?? "Fact Checker" needed here....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge of what/is going on in the Bear camp. From the outside looking in though it seems that major money has been spent on the program and the results have been less than hoped for by us as fans and I am sure the finance man isn't to excited to be whooped by Strega and passed by September Fury. Therefore a shake up was in order. No disrespect to anyone that turned a wrench or actuated the stick, but its been several years and it hasn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
        I have absolutely zero inside knowledge of what/is going on in the Bear camp. From the outside looking in though it seems that major money has been spent on the program and the results have been less than hoped for by us as fans and I am sure the finance man isn't to excited to be whooped by Strega and passed by September Fury. Therefore a shake up was in order. No disrespect to anyone that turned a wrench or actuated the stick, but its been several years and it hasn't happened.
        Your post makes the assumption that it was the team's (read that, "crew's") fault that the program didn't move forward...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Maybe it's going to Texas to be reworked by a new crew and is being readied for a run at the speed record and a return to Reno 2013. Maybe he wanted it closer to home to oversee the changes.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Your post makes the assumption that it was the team's (read that, "crew's") fault that the program didn't move forward...
            A team is the sum of all the parts, owner, crew chief, crew, plane and systems. I'm not pointing blame, far all I know mr. Lewis could be a horse's behind and the root of all problems, but he is the owner and the guy who writes the checks, so I doubt he will fire himself. It also will do him no good to fire the volunteer who does nothing but wipe the oil off the beast. So wether it is actually his fault or not, the crew chief is going to be the fall guy if the plane is not performing (this appears to be the issue as it was said they were having overheating issues all this week). Does that mean the crew didn't work hard, long hours with 100% commitment? No it doesn't.

Comment

..."the end of the world is near"...

..."the sky is falling"...

..."wolf, wolf!"...

These seem to be the taste, and flavor; the communion of disgust, that I sense, being shared here in relation to this latest Bear gossip....

May I ask why?

Mr. Lewis has brought to us, already, much more than we deserve. Mind you, at his expense. Why must we whine, when merely 12 months ago we thought that we may never see the Reno air races again, at all?

We ranted and raved when the super-modified Unlimited's started topping the 440's... YET, now we're so spoiled, that when we view the legendary Bear puts around, (in 2nd) and get past, by a Gold-champion Sea Fury, running conservatively, now it's okay to throw in the towel? To cry, and whimper like 3 year-olds.

I for one have heard more sniffling, and griping, and complaining, during, and after this years races, than I ever have before.

Maybe, just maybe, it's okay for Mr. Lewis to do what he desires with HIS airplane, and HIS crew.

Paint it on gold/white, put the 3-blade back on, and hang-it on the wall for all I care. Regardless, it's been an awesome ride.

Instead of crying, perhaps we should stand behind Mr. Lewis, and support whichever avenue that he takes for #77...I'm thinking we'd be glad we did.

Joseph

Comment

What's the definition of insanity? I am not surprised that Rod Lewis is changing it up. This is done all the time in the NFL. The Bear has fallen short of its potential for too many years while Tigers' program is flawless. We have seen Rare Bear's speed so we know what it is capable of. If Rod is going to continue with the racing program than I think a change is the only decision in an attempt to get that plane competitive again. Nobody in this thread seems to remember the talk of Mr Lewis eventually retiring the plane to the Smithsonian of which he sits on the board. We all want to see Rare Bear return to it's glory but with Strega pulling out, Voodoo up for sale, Dago Red in pieces, what's the point? A changing of the guard perhaps. Precious Metal? And there is always that chance that we could lose Rare Bear in a crash. I wish we could have seen her go out on top but maybe it's finally time for her to retire. RIP!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                  I can guaran-damned-tee that Rod Lewis does not give one single lowly rat's ass what any fan thinks of how he spends his airplane money, no matter how much bitching, complaining, or boot licking we do.
                  Hummn.. My approval or disapproval of his decision to change gears and move the airplane... now... notwithstanding... I do know Rod Lewis well enough and have had conversations with him about this very thing and I can guarantee that he does, indeed, care about the fans...

Do I think he might have been better off keeping at it with the same crew in place? You bet... does the fact that the airplane is moving make Rod a lesser person and exhibit a lack of care about fans? No way...

All I've tried to do in any of my responses in this thread is to keep the truth high and clear of water...

History is not "fact based"... history is FACTS... pure and simple. What, exactly, did happen over the past years since Rod took over the airplane?

I've been around the team for a lot of what transpired over the years, I have personal observations and opinions far too deep to discuss in this thread... but I do think it important to not forget the huge contribution that the CREW has put into making the program what it was and.... key here.. COULD HAVE BEEN...

I'll quote one of the crew... annonymoously... "it's like you went out and cut down an Christmas tree, mounted it, got the decorations just right and just when it's time to put on the star, someone takes the tree away from you and says "I'll finish it".....

So nobody say I'm bitching about Rod's decision, it was and is his to make, also, nobody dismiss Rod as just another rich guy who doesn't give a rip about anything but his money and toys... He's a far more complex dood that that.

And yes, I am very grateful for what he's brought to the sport at a time when it really needed someone like him in it.. I sincerely hope he stays in it. I just, personally, wish he'd have stayed the course, as, in my own personal opinion, that would have been the most direct route to success.. Time will tell.
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow.....everyone getting all worked up and in reality no one knows what's going on for sure...........maybe he sold it and the new owners are taking it to Ione, doubtful, but my point being........who knows what's going to happen......if she doesn't return to Reno, It will be ashame........but until we know for sure what the future holds for her, all this is pure specultaion........so no sense in getting to worked up........just my opinion. Let's all hope for the best
                    Brian

Comment

2006: Aircraft Purchased after the races, Major rebuild ensues....
                      2007: Win
                      2008: Big Badaboom........
                      2009: Second Place with stock motor from Fifi and Slow-Turn Nosecase.
                      2010: Race Engine, No Gold on Sunday (With a different crew)
                      2011: Nuff Said
                      2012: DNF, Crew Fired.

So 1 win out of 6 years and 2 finishes on Sunday. If you count 2012 that would be 1 Win out of 3 Sunday Golds.
                      I don't have the history in front of me to compare the numbers to other racers but either way you look at it 33 or 50% is not too shabby.............

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                        What's the definition of insanity? I am not surprised that Rod Lewis is changing it up. This is done all the time in the NFL. The Bear has fallen short of its potential for too many years while Tigers' program is flawless. We have seen Rare Bear's speed so we know what it is capable of. If Rod is going to continue with the racing program than I think a change is the only decision in an attempt to get that plane competitive again. Nobody in this thread seems to remember the talk of Mr Lewis eventually retiring the plane to the Smithsonian of which he sits on the board. We all want to see Rare Bear return to it's glory but with Strega pulling out, Voodoo up for sale, Dago Red in pieces, what's the point? A changing of the guard perhaps. Precious Metal? And there is always that chance that we could lose Rare Bear in a crash. I wish we could have seen her go out on top but maybe it's finally time for her to retire. RIP!
                        EVERY race program is cyclical. Bear has been up and down for 40 years. Dago went in cycles. Strega went in cycles.

It's not that big of a deal in the overall picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                          Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Although last time this happened I was told "Don't get too far from your tool bag boy, there's a Griffon in you future"

As the propeller turns..............
                          Yabbut, the propeller on a Griffon turns both ways at the same time. Can't go wrong that way.

What I've got to say about the Bear is that I wish all the people involved the very best, I salute them for more hard work and personal sacrifice than I can probably imagine, both in the past and in the future, wherever they go- be it with the Bear or elsewhere. I also hope to see the airplane continue to keep the Mustangs and Sea Furys honest. I hope that it is just one of those "cyclical" things in air racing. We've seen both Dago and Strega come back from periods when everyone wrote them off as never being able to run consistently at the front again. We all assumed that 232 would never run near the front again... the "Bear kills" on the side proved that one wrong. And now Precious Metal... things never stay static.

Comment

Drove by the bear cave yesterday and it was very quiet. All doors closed and dark, only one vehicle parked out front.

You would think it was bear hybernation time by the quietness, but once the dust settles I'm sure we'll hear some rumblings.

Comment

[QUOTE=Desertdawg;107436]Drove by the bear cave yesterday and it was very quiet. All doors closed and dark, only one vehicle parked out front.

You would think it was bear hybernation time by the quietness, but once the dust settles I'm sure we'll hear some rumblings.

[/QUOTE

For those of us not close by, thank you for taking the time to go out and take a look.

Comment

All this crazy for one airplane in one class at Reno, there are 5 other classes that in my opinion get **** on for the most part, granted the unlimiteds are the show ponies of the event , but..... Endeavor in f1 broke a record this year , phantom breaks some kind of record every year, lavell is doing 400 mph in a plane you can fly everyday, just sayin there is a lot more to Reno than just these show ponies, it's this attitude that makes me want to quit racing all together.

Comment

Working...
                                X