RENO 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RENO 1964

It was all such "innocent" fun in those days..... Thanks for keeping track of the facts!

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    From 1966 through 1970 the Unlimited was a long oval that extended into Lemmon Valley on the east end, and halfway out to Red Rock on the west end. I think it was an 8.5 mile course. And yes, the front stretch was a lot closer to the crowd than we see today, as the course was kind of cocked at an angle, so the planes overflew what is now the heritage area and jet pits. The starts were done similar to what the T-6 races are today, but Hoover would release the aircraft by pulling up and away right at home pylon.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Formula class took off on the tarmac in front of the stands
      I remember that also. There was a collision right in front of us in the stands one year 80-82? where the "Aloha" formula got it's tail chewed off on the starting roll. That was on the ramp and very close to the crowd.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hi Leo. I must have been sitting close to you that year. Never did hear why it happened. Made me think about how close we were.
        Gary
        Gary Williams

Comment

Buried deep in the vault I have pictures of it happening. One of these days I vow to scan all those old slides. Right after I...
          I think the only racehorse start I ever saw of the bigger planes was at Lincoln.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Excellent video!
            I wish I could have gone in those days!
            By the car I saw in the video clip, I positively identified a 1966 Chevy Impala.

Comment

Working...
            X